Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Working light.... Led or halogen?

What is better? I work at Home Depot and we currently have a discount for 1200 watt halogen work light on the other hand we just got some led worklights that put out 1500 lumens. Which one of these will show the imperfections better for paint correction.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Twonz360

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
led is better because halogen sometimes gives off a yellowish light where led is more white.

sent from my BellSouth house phone

Mods:

Performance
Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMax CNC Ported Throttle Body, CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake, ARK N2 Catback Exhaust, Trifecta Tune, RX Ported Intake Manifold (Custom Paint Job), MACE 25mm Insulator, ARH Long Tube Hedders,
Misc.
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug, Royal Purple Oil, LED DRL's, Blacked Out Bow ties, Sound Deadening In Trunk, LED Interior & Trunk, AAC LED Side Markers
Coming Soon...
SS Rear Diffuser, JDP Motorsports RS Color Changing Halo Package, SS Front Bumper..... Cams.:slice: "I'm Killin' em"
Twonz360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Both, sometimes one type of light will show defects another won't show.

The sun is the great equalizer though, as it shows defects better than any other type of light source.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I have a set of the 1200w halogens and TBH they don't help too well unless im standing at a certain angle and right up on the car. Not sure with the LEDs as I haven't used them. The sun would definitely be best but you can't always rely on it lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
I have a set of the 1200w halogens and TBH they don't help too well unless im standing at a certain angle and right up on the car. Not sure with the LEDs as I haven't used them. The sun would definitely be best but you can't always rely on it lol.
Try the Brinkman swirlfinder, it works great as an another source of light to find defects and it's LED and not too crazy expensive.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
That's what I want to avoid. Last time I did paint correction I could barely see the imperfections and had to wait till the morning to see if I missed anything using the sun. I want something I can set down and see te imperfections and not have to be inches away from the car to see anything.

I was thinking of using a 1200 watt work light and then buying the brink swirl finder . Any good results from you guys using the brinks swirl finder ?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricanfont View Post
That's what I want to avoid. Last time I did paint correction I could barely see the imperfections and had to wait till the morning to see if I missed anything using the sun. I want something I can set down and see te imperfections and not have to be inches away from the car to see anything.

I was thinking of using a 1200 watt work light and then buying the brink swirl finder . Any good results from you guys using the brinks swirl finder ?
It is indispensable to me. Like all light sources that are not the sun, there are times when it won't be able to show some defects. But it does do a good job in showing a lot of defects.

I had a white buick that I detailed where was impossible to find any defects in without the sun, but on darker cars, the brinkman shows the majority of defects.