Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Cowboy from Hell

Drives: don't ask!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldpants View Post
American car companies do not always move the steering wheel for the UK they do not for the Vette and did not for the Lightning so that may not be an issue. The DIC can be set to metric and the speedo is a bit redundant. But if it was an issue he could always get a Canadian speedo. Brittan mostly follows EU regs for car so there would be much less to change on a car coming from Brittan. Even with the wheel on the wrong side its my understanding that a car from here would have to be rewired to meet Eurospec.
Reports are that the UK spec Camaro will be RHD!!

There are certain differences with lights etc between Europe and the UK.... not as easy a change as it seems.
Cowboy from Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
BOULI306

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS black stripes
Hey Zophet,

If i was you i would first see what the specific requirements are for american cars being imported in Europe.

It all changes when you can import the car as "moving goods". I can do as such and that means that it does not have to meet all the requirements such as, Lens wash on HID lights, Side direction indicator. But if you import it as a car and have to pay BPM that means it has to meet those requirements. A big one is that in Europe HID lights have to have a system to lower or raise the beam from inside the car. The Camaro does not have this. I must say i have imported a few cars and it very much depends on the guy doing the checks...If he likes the car (and what is there to dislike looking at a Camaro) he will be a little bit more relaxed. But if you meet a real precise and stuborn guy you will have to fix those things or get a statement that you can not meet the requirements but are still legal to drive...

Hope this helps a bit. And for the radio...no only odd frequencies..just listen to cd or IPod/IPhone and no RDS.

Also there are some guys that already imported Camaro's to the Netherlands, Germany, Spain....maybe they can help...
BOULI306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Zophet

Drives: Opel
Send a message via Skype™ to Zophet
LHD is the only way to go for me. England might be fine for warrany issues, but I think I may have to inport it from the other side of the big sea.
Zophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOULI306 View Post
Hey Zophet,

If i was you i would first see what the specific requirements are for american cars being imported in Europe.

It all changes when you can import the car as "moving goods". I can do as such and that means that it does not have to meet all the requirements such as, Lens wash on HID lights, Side direction indicator. But if you import it as a car and have to pay BPM that means it has to meet those requirements. A big one is that in Europe HID lights have to have a system to lower or raise the beam from inside the car. The Camaro does not have this. I must say i have imported a few cars and it very much depends on the guy doing the checks...If he likes the car (and what is there to dislike looking at a Camaro) he will be a little bit more relaxed. But if you meet a real precise and stuborn guy you will have to fix those things or get a statement that you can not meet the requirements but are still legal to drive...

Hope this helps a bit. And for the radio...no only odd frequencies..just listen to cd or IPod/IPhone and no RDS.

Also there are some guys that already imported Camaro's to the Netherlands, Germany, Spain....maybe they can help...
Intresting. Not to tread jack, but if I were to move to say Canada or England. Would I be forced to buy a new car?
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
BOULI306

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS black stripes
Depends if it will be permenantly or for a few years? When for a few years you will probably get a license plate stating that you may drive the car in that country. When moving pemenantly you would probably have to do the mods required to let the car meet specs... But most of them are pretty easy.
BOULI306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
Zophet

Anyway, can these rear lenses work as turn indicators? I only found these kind of turn indicators, which don't seem to fit....?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
SwedishMeatballs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Zophet: There are plenty of cars in Europe if you don't wanna go through the work of importing one for yourself. For instance in Sweden and Germany It's alot closer, and typically these cars are approved for EU registry already.

From what I've heard, the car is being sold in the UK starting march 2011. I do believe it will be LHD cars, seeing the expected market share is very low and it would not be profitable to do a RHD convertion. So, you might wanna check that out closer to the launch date.

Also, you really don't need to worry about the octane levels here. Go for whatever you can find, I usually put 98 in the tank but if you can find 101-102 like the crazy Germans have go for it. All cars run better on that soup guaranteed.
SwedishMeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
iudexmaximus

Drives: BMW
Hi Zophet and welcome to the community!

Few months ago I tried to find your same informations about getting a road legal camaro here in Italy and I found a very nice dealer in Munich (Germany).
They perform all the changings you need to get the TUV and provide you the one day german license plates. (In this way, you can get "very" quickly italian license plates).
In my opinion, these are the main points you have to focus on:

• You don't need to have red lenses for the tail lights: you need to have amber light, even if using a red lense. So you need strong bulbs.
  • I think that you need to rewire the front side markers and the parking light in order to have turning lights
  • Then you need to have rear fog lights: you can have them by making red one of the small white rear light and rewire it
  • You also need to have the chassis number (VIN) punched on the frame, usually on the suspension dome
  • About HID headlights, you must install an headlight washing system AND an automatic level adjustment unit
  • The tachometer can be switched to KPH, but while the digital one has "no limits", the analog one has its own limit (i.e. 180 mph for the SS): so, if you're driving at 220 KPH, the digital one will tell you the real speed but the analog one will show you 180 KPH this time. Canadian specs car are more expensive to get than USA ones, but you can have them: the IOM car in the showroom was canadian specs.
  • Be careful: the 19" tires are not available in Europe in the camaro size, at least thery were until this spring. The 20" tires size is not so common. Try to have a look at delticom tire shop online.
Finally, Bouli306 may be right about guys at the check station, but remember that envy from their side could be strong. They may even be annoying about the "E" marks on lights & glasses and safety belts..
At least, they are in Italy..
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
EvolutioN

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500 - Subaru LegacyGT
OCTANE Europe vs U.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zophet View Post
Dear Forum readers, fans!

How do the high octance numers affect the car? The lowest octain no. available in Hungary is 95. Can it have any drawbacks?

Zophet.
One more remark. I saw an incorect remark up higher in this thread about octane levels.
Europe does not have "super fuel". Me being from Sweden originally. I looked this up a while ago.

Europe measures Octane in RON. Versus the U.S measures in AKI.

AKI = Anti-Knock Index ( often written on pumps as (R+M)/2) )
is the average of the RON and the MON.

Here's a comparsion:

"SuperPlus" in Germany, Great Britain and Slovenia, "SP98" in France
RON: 98
MON: 89-90
AKI: 93-94

Just don't want you to buy a Camaro, add a supercharger, and run it on 95 RON and blow your engine..

Link: For supporting the above mentioned ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Best Regards // Chris

Last edited by EvolutioN; 08-16-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added Link
EvolutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
You should talk to these guys..........
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100820

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #25
SwedishMeatballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutioN View Post
One more remark. I saw an incorect remark up higher in this thread about octane levels.
Europe does not have "super fuel". Me being from Sweden originally. I looked this up a while ago.

Europe measures Octane in RON. Versus the U.S measures in AKI.

AKI = Anti-Knock Index ( often written on pumps as (R+M)/2) )
is the average of the RON and the MON.

Here's a comparsion:

"SuperPlus" in Germany, Great Britain and Slovenia, "SP98" in France
RON: 98
MON: 89-90
AKI: 93-94

Just don't want you to buy a Camaro, add a supercharger, and run it on 95 RON and blow your engine..

Link: For supporting the above mentioned ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Best Regards // Chris
Well actually Chris, your own link also contradicts you, sort of. I understand from it that the common spread in the U.S. is 87 to 91 AKI.

In Sweden you won't find anything less than 95 RON (90-91 AKI) where I myself prefer 98 RON (93-94 AKI) and sometimes also >99 RON (AKI ??).

By U.S. classification, I would consider that "super fuel".
Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #26
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
I live in Russia and have an American spec. car. I wouldn't do it again. Any time something goes wrong, it's bad news. Some jerk broke my passenger side window last month. It's going to take 6 weeks to get the window to replace the broken one.

I understand how much you want a Camaro. I want one too! However, I don't think it's practical over here personally. You need to have dealer support to use the car as anything more than a toy. My next car will be purchased from a local dealer with local specifications. I don't need the hassels that go along with owning an American spec. car over here.

I hate to be negative, but I would hate to see you spend so much money and end up with a car that you can't service or repair properly or in a timely manner.

I'm looking at selling my present car. If I was going to buy a sports coupe similar to a Camaro over here, I'd probably buy an Audi S5, BMW M3 or Cadillac CTS-V. Why Cadillac has such good support for European cars I don't know, but they do. A CTS-V coupe is about as close as you are going to get to a Camaro (a Z28 Camaro at that) with real dealer support.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
SwedishMeatballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
I live in Russia and have an American spec. car. I wouldn't do it again. Any time something goes wrong, it's bad news. Some jerk broke my passenger side window last month. It's going to take 6 weeks to get the window to replace the broken one.

I understand how much you want a Camaro. I want one too! However, I don't think it's practical over here personally. You need to have dealer support to use the car as anything more than a toy. My next car will be purchased from a local dealer with local specifications. I don't need the hassels that go along with owning an American spec. car over here.

I hate to be negative, but I would hate to see you spend so much money and end up with a car that you can't service or repair properly or in a timely manner.

I'm looking at selling my present car. If I was going to buy a sports coupe similar to a Camaro over here, I'd probably buy an Audi S5, BMW M3 or Cadillac CTS-V. Why Cadillac has such good support for European cars I don't know, but they do. A CTS-V coupe is about as close as you are going to get to a Camaro (a Z28 Camaro at that) with real dealer support.

Just my opinion of course.
I get your point. However that depends on where you live too I guess. Here we won't have any problem getting the car serviced / repaired, but surely some parts may be harder / more expensive to get a hold of.

Surely the dealer warranty going up in smoke is a biatch but it's nothing I would wanna pass up my dream car for.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #28
Zophet

Yeah, thats right. There is much to consider. Hopefully, when UK start selling the Camaro in early 2011, it will lead to better parts availability in the whole EU.

I still don't get the octaine thing...can the 95oct petrol have any drawbacks for a Camaro?

Million tahnks.