Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #71
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
...If you don't believe us, wait until you get your ins. premium, and by the way, adding the car to your father's policy does next to nothing to reduce rates nor do good grades. The car is going to be the biggest factor...
+1.
to insurance companies (from my experience), the primary driver is a minor factor. the fact that a teenage male is being insured drastically increases the premium, no matter what vehicle he has access to. when i got my first car (a 1990 ford festiva), mom's insurance on her 01 excursion barely changed because i still lived in her house, therefore meaning i could still possibly drive it. when i asked the company about how they determine rates, they said a couple of the biggest factors are how big a risk the drivers demographic is and how much damage they can do with the vehicles they have access to (along with the value of the vehicle); hence if you drive a K3500 pickup you're gonna pay more than if you have a VW rabbit. that principle applies to a $35000 V8 sports car - a lot of damage can be done with that (statistically) than even with the $23000 V6. these are just some things to consider.

and to relate to the above story, i've always been a responsible guy - almost top 10% in high school, Eagle Scout, graduated college with a 3.4, no tickets... blah, blah, blah...
that don't mean i still didn't almost completely roll my explorer one day just because i wanted to see how much drifting it could handle on a gravel road one day. everyone gets that itch to see just how much the vehicle can take.

the points made by all these people here are not to be condescending or judgmental. we're just trying to give you pointers on how to avoid accidents in the future and care for the wonderful car you've been blessed with the opportunity to have. see what we're saying?
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #72
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
Right, because the laws of physics state that EVERY 17 year old will wreck their new Camaro.
Nope, that's he law of averages.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #73
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
Now, to end on some good news, one of his friends got a 350Z and has had it for over a year now and he is accident free.
Ticket free as well?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #74
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
Right, because the laws of physics state that EVERY 17 year old will wreck their new Camaro. I agree that at 17, MOST people make some poor choices to impress their friends, show off to girls, or just to get an adrenaline rush. I did it, and I'm going to guess just about everyone else here did. But Jesus people, FOUR pages of telling this kid he's spoiled, bratty, and too immature to own this car is enough. Who are any of us to judge? If he makes some poor choices and messes it up, that's on him. I'm going to guess more than a few of us on this forum have made less than optimal decisions before. It's part of growing up. Let his parents do the lecturing, and let's all be happy we have another proud Camaro owner/supporter on here.

Welcome to the site man.
Actually the laws of physics have everything to do with 17 year olds wrecking Camaro's.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #75
ChrisF

Drives: VW R32
I got a 400 HP car when I was 17... I wrapped it around a tree and really f**ked things up. I was an invincible teenager who knew how to drive without ever getting behind the steering wheel of a high performance car.

I did all the powersliding I could wrap my tires around. Until one day I caught a bad turn in a rainy day and destroyed my car, and my parents trust in my abilities to drive.

I'm 21 now and have been through driving school as well as had much more experience behind the wheel. I respect everything there is to respect behind the wheel of a car.

Be careful man...
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #76
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Hey everyone, I'm 17 and my parents and I pre-ordered on October 24, 2008. Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS w/ auto and the RS Appearance Package. Pretty sweet for a first car, huh? haha Anyways, I have not received a Welcome Kit yet from my dealership. Weber Chevrolet in St. Louis. Anyone know why? 2 more days till production!!!!!!!
honestly, what the hell does you telling us your 17 and your mommy and daddy are buying you a car way out of your ability as a first car have to do with you not getting your welcome kit?

you could have just asked the latter and not shown off with the former.

you seem like the type to want to show off, give me a ring when you wreck your car 805-215-8405; i'll happily take it off your insurance companies hands.

damn kids these days.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #77
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
honestly, what the hell does you telling us your 17 and your mommy and daddy are buying you a car way out of your ability as a first car have to do with you not getting your welcome kit?

you seem like the type to want to show off, give me a ring when you wreck your car 805-215-8405; i'll happily take it off your insurance companies hands.

damn kids these days.
Dude, thats just uncalled for!
The sheer fact that he is 17 means that he seeks attention. Thats what teens do. But just railroading him like that isnt cool. Sure I dont agree with his/parents choice of car for him, but again its their choice.

Sure he could have left out that he's 17 and his parents are buying him this car but remember he's 17!! QED!

We've all given him a hard time here, but we just dont want him to wreck his car and MORE IMPORTANTLY wreck his life!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #78
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well thanks, I feel very welcome now. I was just trying to explain my situation here..
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #79
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post

damn kids these days.
that's pretty harsh, man. here's a thread the mods wrote that you should probably see
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14547

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Well thanks, I feel very welcome now. I was just trying to explain my situation here..
some people don't know how to show & on behalf of everybody else here who're just trying to look out for you, let me apologize for those ignorant naysayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
...We've all given him a hard time here, but we just dont want him to wreck his car and MORE IMPORTANTLY wreck his life!

+1. and let me amend my last message

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
...the points made by most of these people here are not to be condescending or judgmental. we're just trying to give you pointers on how to avoid accidents in the future and care for the wonderful car you've been blessed with the opportunity to have. see what we're saying?
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote