Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
no blind spot rear view mirror

would you guys advise against this? http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...592854&c=10100

or would the ones that stick on the side mirrors be better?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Cliffjumper

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
That looks horrible. I had a friend that had that in his cobalt and it reach visor to visor
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
LOL.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
never mind then lol...just saw it in the skymall magazine on my flight back to CA and thought this would make my life a little easier
Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
You can eliminate blind spots for free by adjusting your mirrors properly.

Here is the write up I did back in February.

To do this simply start by adjusting your rear view mirror to frame your back window as you always would. For your side mirrors you want to adjust them so that they face your blind spot (duh right?). To do so, adjust your side mirrors so that the hips of your car are no longer visible, just beyond the inside corner of your mirror. This will allow you to see the lane next to you. For some people this can become disorienting, but if you just try it and make yourself stick with it, you become used to it, just like you become used to backing your car out of a space with the giant C pillars blocking ALL view.

The pictures show you what your mirrors should look like. When an object is to the rear but close, you will see it in the rear view mirror (ya don’t say?).When an object to the rear is at a distance, you should be able to see it in all three mirrors. When an object is to the rear and to one side, you should be able to see it in two mirrors. When an object is in your "used to be blind spot" you will see the rear of it in your side mirror and you will begin to see the front in your peripherals.

Ex. If my dad’s Yukon were to pass me, I would first see him change lanes (because the left lane is the passing lane, not a driving lane, RIGHT?). He would no longer be visible in all mirrors (both because of distance and because of the way he would be off centered), but he would still be clearly visible in my rear view. As he came closer, I would see the front of his car enter my side view mirror BEFORE I could no longer see him in my rear view. As he kept passing I would see his front end begin to appear in my peripheral vision, as his rear end began to disappear from my side view mirror. Before he left my side view mirror he would become fully visible next to me.

Take note. I can see part of the Yukon in all three mirrors.

I hope I was all clear in my descriptions. This does take some time to get used to. But it is worth it in reducing the chance of an accident.

BTW I was parked next to the Fire hydrant for demonstration purposes only, so I could take pictures not in my drive way.
Attached Images

Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs

Last edited by My Caroline; 07-19-2012 at 01:56 AM.
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Eskilachi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Convertible
I might have been lucky with my adjustments, but right now my mirrors are perfect. I have the mirrors as I´m used to (I like when my car covers about 1/4-1/5 of the mirror). That way I can see cars coming up on my side, and when I lose them in my mirror I see them with a slight turn of my head. Also, when I back up I can clearly see any object close to the car. For me, this setup is perfect. Just work a bit with adjusting the mirrors, maybe even have a friend come over and move his car around and you won´t need any extra stuff put onto your mirror
Eskilachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Wooden Heart

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
That reminds me of the limo scene in Hot Shots: Part Deux where Topper and Michelle are making out and the driver keeps trying to look back there.
Wooden Heart is offline   Reply With Quote