Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
Oddvious

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have a 5 gal in the trunk straight no mix and I'm going through it about every 45days LOL I'm a hard diver always in boost. A lot of the Snow kits leaks guys do some research before you get it just sayin'
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
I know the snow kit has the option to reuse the stock wiper wash bottle. There is an install video on YouTube I just finished watching. Seems to be pretty straightforward. However, it uses a 50/50 mix.
This is the kit that I run and use straight meth and it does wonders for my IAT's.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
But do you have to tune your car to use it?
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #18
derrickmanx1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 CAMARO AUTOMATIC
You should be able to run it on a stock tuned car. I'd imagine to get the most out of it you need to tune it. The methanol is used to raise the octane rating and lower charge air temps thus allowing more timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAME: TRAVIS 2014 ZL1 AUTO #1748.
CAI AND VMAX PORTED TB. ID-850's
416 BTR STG II CAM AFCO HE
PORTED HEADS AND SUPERCHARGER 8.66/2.55
TSP 2" LONG TUBES AND TUNE.
derrickmanx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
derrickmanx1

I have a snow mpg + kit on my diesel truck just wondering what else is out there that works good.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Since no one else is mentioning it, just be careful how much of your tune (ie timing advance) is dependent on meth. Unless you are using a direct port setup, you always run the risk of having a cylinder not get an equal charge, run lean, and burn. Other than that, its a great mod to add. If you can afford it, a flex fuel swap is much safer alternative (fuel system upgrade required).
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
derrickmanx1

Where I'm at there is no e85 being sold.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #22
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Looking into this and everyone has their opinion on this and this thread did not help lol everyone is either running completely meth or the snow system leaks. People are gaining 22-30 hp but its advertised for 50-100 hp. IM just confused

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #23
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Looking into this and everyone has their opinion on this and this thread did not help lol everyone is either running completely meth or the snow system leaks. People are gaining 22-30 hp but its advertised for 50-100 hp. IM just confused
The methanol is just another tool to use in the entire process of modding....It will lower your IAT's and yes you can see gains of 50+ hp but most tuners want to give you a safe and reliable tune...IMHO well worth it !
Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
Oddvious

Quote:
So the result in gains with the additional timing will most likely depend on mods if I'm not mistaken.

I run Straight Meth with the Alky system and the car is defiantly impressive with the mods I'm actually waiting on this thing to Grenade with all this boost.

I've sprayed about 30gal. of Meth already and it's holding strong so far so good love the kit no regrets.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #25
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddvious View Post
So the result in gains with the additional timing will most likely depend on mods if I'm not mistaken.

I run Straight Meth with the Alky system and the car is defiantly impressive with the mods I'm actually waiting on this thing to Grenade with all this boost.

I've sprayed about 30gal. of Meth already and it's holding strong so far so good love the kit no regrets.

Ok that's not bad since there is a way to turn it off or toggle it. Could you provide a link to your system?

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #26
Oddvious

Quote:
Ok that's not bad since there is a way to turn it off or toggle it. Could you provide a link to your system?

Well not sure it should ever be turned off once you have a tune to use it I know I was told the motor will blow if I run out and hit boost. It was tuned and I was told not to touch the dial

You should hit up Don at Slowhawk he is the LS tuning Meth guru honestly he has been tuning and using it for years I only relay what he has educated me on it this is Don's car now I just drive it
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #27
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
All of you are mounting the nozzles pre TB? Or?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddvious View Post
I have a 5 gal in the trunk straight no mix and I'm going through it about every 45days LOL I'm a hard diver always in boost. A lot of the Snow kits leaks guys do some research before you get it just sayin'
I used about a gallon every 4-5 days in my C6. Lots of empty roads where I live, lol.

Quote:
22-30 is probably with no tuning. More if you are adding timing to the tune for the cooler IAT and added octane.

Quote:

You can turn off and adjust the rate of it spraying with the Alky Control kit. It's what I used on my C6 and it worked awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
All of you are mounting the nozzles pre TB? Or?
Yes. After the MAF and before the TB.

A safer way to tune for meth is to use the IAT timing table and only add timing at cooler IAT's. How I did this on my C6 was it only added extra timing when the IAT's were less than 70F. IAT's go above 70F and it reverts back to how much timing it can take with no meth. You could do the same thing for the ZL1. Do some datalogs and figure out where your IAT's are while spraying meth. Gear the added timing to that range. Lets say you never get above 115F on IAT2 while spraying meth. Only add timing less than that. When it goes above that either leave it stock or be a bit more aggressive on pulling timing for hotter IAT2 temps.

The other concern with meth is fueling at WOT. You can run your AFR into the low 10's with meth and pump gas and be okay. It's how I ran my C6. Not much extra power to be picked up by leaning it out to 11.5:1 while spraying meth. The other concern is you are pulling fuel out of the tune with the injectors to get it that lean. So if you loose your meth you also have to worry about a lean mixture. Tune it to 11.5-11.8:1 on pump gas. Then let it end up where it ends up while spraying meth. As long as you aren't less than 10:1 you are fine.

This way if you loose meth injection your motor won't go too lean and the IAT timing table will pull the timing back and your motor stays safe.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote