Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #127
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The 5.3 is not happening. Just stop.
That's fine.. a strip down SS.. No daytime running lights (RS package), no 8" mylink, no brembos, all season 245 tires all around.. just a base car with 455/455 for $34-35k MSRP..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #128
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I do think there is a possibility if they offered a V-8 Camaro at a price point of around what the Challenger R/T sits at then you might grab customers from those cars who just want a V-8.

I think this is why the idea of putting the 5.3L in the Camaro seems like a great idea, me the only benefit I can see to doing this would be if it was essentially a V-6 Camaro but with a 5.3L in it. I think the concern here comes down to if the drivetrain can handle the torque of the 5.3L engine, if it can then this might be a great move. It would weigh in at about the same as the V-6 Camaro so around 3,500 pounds, I think if they could pull that off with a 380/380 5.3L engine and even undercut the Challenger R/T in price. If they made the 5.3L engine lets say a $3,000 price option over a standard V-6 Camaro then you would be looking at about $31,400 bucks.

With that amount of power in a vehicle of that mass it would easily out perform the Challenger R/T. Lets put mass at around 3,550 pounds of the V-8 LT Camaro, that would give a power to weight ratio of 9.3 pounds per horsepower. Compared to the Challenger R/T at 11.1 pounds per horsepower, in fact it wouldn't be too far behind the 392 Challenger in power to weight ratio. A Camaro almost as fast as a 392 Challenger for only lets say $32,000 might steal sales from the SS Camaro even. Some in the truck world are pushing these motors to nearly 500RWHP with head/cam/tune/headers etc... .
Or they could offer a 3.73 gear option for the V6 to keep up with the Ecoboost and pull in font of the RT. Much cheaper to do than a new engine, even if they don't need to replace the rest of the power train.

Even if/when Dodge redesigns the Challenger and Charger to cut a few hundred pounds out of them, another V8 isn't going to happen as the Camaro's midrange engine.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #129
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I think a 5.3 version might work pretty well, just don't call it an SS. If you basically make it trim wise a 1LS/1LT and bump the 5.3's hp/tq numbers a bit...or at least its HP numbers to the 370-380hp range, that would help since as is the V6 hp numbers are only 20 hp behind the 5.3L in the Silverado/sierra. Of course if this were to happen, they'd need to bump up the LT1's numbers in the SS models.

Put all seasons tires on it, decent looking 18" wheels, basic brakes (mildly better than V6 ones though), no spoiler, basic exhaust, cloth interior, basic sound system. Transmission wise an A8 or M6 (maybe not as beefy as the SS M6 Tremec however), maybe even taking out the flat bottom steering wheel in the non SS versions.

Who knows but I think Chevy could pull it off and it may do fairly well. It would take sales away from the Challenger RT, both V8 and 4 cyl Mustangs and it would probably out sale the SS version based on price alone. I know that around here, most Challengers/Chargers are V6 but nearly every V8 version is an RT, only a few 392's around, and I mean FEW. If they existed and were only a few grand more than a V6 model, I think a 5.3L Camaro would sell quite well.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #130
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It is much more simple to create a trim below 1SS than to develop a Camaro 5.3L, especially since there is no real need for the 5.3L. It would also be simpler to detune a 6.2L, offer it in manual only, with all season tires, no Brembo brakes unless ordered as an extra cost option, and RS trim content (except Brembo).

There will be no 5.3L for Camaro.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #131
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I don't think anybody is going to want to buy a V8 and not get the SS badge. People care a lot about that stuff.

One major upside to this situation is that for the 6th gen, there's never been a badging distinction between 1SS and 2SS, so it's a lot easier to slip a new trim in under the SS moniker. Where-as the 5th 1SS got white badges and the 2SS got red., all 6th gen SS's have a red badge.

So for ordering purposes, they can call this trim level a 0SS and be done with it. It doesn't really matter beyond designating a trim package for those who are buying it. After that, it has the same badge as the rest. Don't overcomplicate it. :P
The red SS designates rally sport , all 6th gen SS camaros come with the rally sport option .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #132
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Nah you're reading too much into the demise of the internal combustion engine.

In the muscle car years it cost a lot of money to make hp. So there were two V8 options because some people wanted more power than the straight 6 but couldn't afford to go up to the high powered 350. So you had the 305.

By the 80s, fuel injection was coming of age but wasn't quite cheap enough for everyone. So you had the carbureted or the fuel injected as options.

By the 90s technology got cheap enough for the 350 to be tuned for high power without being expensive.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #133
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
GO 5.3 Ha!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #134
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not sure why all the angst over SS. The last time GM put an SS badge on a non-performance model was the 2006 Malibu SS. That was 11 years ago. Cobalt SS and HHR SS, both gone since 2010, were both actually pretty decent performers, particularly in their vehicle classes. Both achieved 260 hp and 0-60 in just over 6s. Go back 7 years and that was pretty decent performance, especially for pocket rockets which they competed against. And faster than a lot of Gen 3 and Gen 4 Camaros.

Brother you need to do some research on an LS1 Camaro if you think a Cobalt SS was running with it
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #135
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Brother you need to do some research on an LS1 Camaro if you think a Cobalt SS was running with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965
^^I'm sure he was referring to the LT1 4th gens, not the LS1.. I hope, lol.. Even then, You better have been in the Turbo Cobalt SS to run with LT1.
I thought I was very clear in stating "a lot of Gen 3 and Gen 4 Camaros". I did not say all, I did not specify engines. Cobalt SS and HHR SS were capable of 6.2s 0-60. A '92 Z28 is specced at 6.6s. A '93 V6 is specced at 8.9s. Granted a V6 Camaro is not an SS, but a Cobalt is not a Camaro, yet a Cobalt SS can rip a Gen 3 V6 Camaro a new butthole and hang tough with some Gen 3 Z/28s. They can also hang with a Gen 4 V6, but probably not a Gen 4 V8 of any RPO. Not bad for an econobox.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #136
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
meh..only way GM is going to regain sales is to slash prices(which won't happen) or a refresh release...because performance aside, the 6th Gen aesthetics is starting to become relatively 'mundane'.
..time to start looking at a re-design of the '70s camaro, or even a return of the Chevelle or Nova SS as options.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #137
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Id like to see the revival of the gen 4 body. I think gen 4 with a new modern look, would look mean and sleek as hell. Gen 4 was my fav until I saw the gen 6, but man, gen 4 just has something about it. It felt like a lambo sometimes when I got in my 94 z28, just the angles made it feel like a true super sport car, and less muscle.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #138
corsa636

Drives: Ford Focus
5,3l V8 (with the 8-speed Automatic) sounds good in my ears :-)

I think there is room in the model line-up, when the SS moves upwards with the 10-speed Automatic...

Maybe there a 4-Door Camaro (means a Chevrolet Variant of the ATS) with such an V8 would make sense, especially since the Chevrolet SS is no longer....
corsa636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #139
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyCode View Post
Id like to see the revival of the gen 4 body. I think gen 4 with a new modern look, would look mean and sleek as hell. Gen 4 was my fav until I saw the gen 6, but man, gen 4 just has something about it. It felt like a lambo sometimes when I got in my 94 z28, just the angles made it feel like a true super sport car, and less muscle.

I'm with you brother I love the 4th gen they were absolutely badass and the best thing on the road for their era
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #140
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyCode View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I'm with you brother I love the 4th gen they were absolutely badass and the best thing on the road for their era

4th gens were great looking. But their design was also their downfall: they were not going to meet modern safety standards.

Of the many reasons the F-bodies were killed and the Camaro name was dead for 7 years is the old F-body, particularly the A pillar angle and close proximity to the head, could not be modified to meet safety standards without completely re-designing the car anyway.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote