Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
DCamaroLover

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Camaro in the snow?

I'm pretty sure this has been posted many a times before, but just wanted some kind of personalized opinions.

I live in Jersey, and I'm 16, and 95% sure I'm getting a Camaro for a first car (that 5% is if I get anything lower than a B in school)

Before you say "you spoiled brat, etc" I have been working for my dad for 3 years for basically nothing, other than a couple paychecks here and there, specifically to save him money, but when I need something, obviously, they provide me with the money, and I'm a straight A student, so Its not like I dont "deserve" this car.

Now before I buy it, I have about $3,000 saved up in the bank, and I wanted to ask you guys this: As you may or may not know, Jersey isn't the worst with snow... 1 or 2 bad storms a year, and a couple "flurries." no Michigan Winters or anything.

So with the money I have saved up I'm definantly going to buy snow tires for it, now for the questions:

1. If I put some snow tires on the Camaro, and put some weight in the trunk, should I be good?

2. What are some pretty good snow tires?

Thanks a lot guys, can't wait for your input!

Last edited by DCamaroLover; 10-04-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: wrong smiley
DCamaroLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

Drives: 2011 LS M6
because of your age... I would say NO

Don't even bother. I am not trying to slant you personally but driving in Ice and Snow requires mucho patience and skill. Camaro's suck in rainy weather snow and ice will just make it even worse.

Wait until sdpring and use one of your parents cars through the winter until you get an idea of what you're getting into.

I used to live in Syracuse NY and I have owned nothing by RWD cars so I am prepared for any type of crappy weather. I had my 2010 Mustang out in the snow this past winter and was stopped by a cop, not for dong something stupid because he was shocked I was out in the snow in a Mustang. I said it comes down to being smart and going slow, plus taking my drivers test on a snowy day helped a bit too.

However, I am saying this sincerely, don't buy the camaro and throw snow tires on it. You're just going to end taking chances you shouldn't be taking. get some drive time in with another vehicle before buying the camaro
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
cam fan

Drives: fast
$3k will getcha more than you need for a snow tire set up.

options include:
1. Tirerack.com (our sponsor) - they can get you new winter tires and wheels so you can just switch out your Pirellis

2. Buy a winter set up from someone here i.e. someone who has in fact used the cam in the snow

best of luck

IMO blizzaks are the best (no personal experience...but talk to me in December)
cam fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
I am also 16 with my Camaro and i dont feel comfortable driving a rwd car in the snow. If its important to where i have to, i will try to get a ride lol
Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
DCamaroLover

Thanks for your input, but although I may not be as experienced as most of you, I do know how to drive, my dad owning a Mustang himself, I have taken it out ( I have my permit) so it's not like im completely clueless lol... and not only that, I'm not going to be taking it on too long of excursions. Daily rides to school, occasional drive to the mall etc. and the Camaro is a car... a beast at that.. I know RWD are notorious for not being the best in snow.. but Im not going to have my dream car sitting in the garage for 3 months... Mainly because I won't be able to wait haha and Im getting my provisional in January.. which is when I will be getting it (when I turn 17)
Old 10-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I live in NJ too. I already decided to buy a winter beater or just use my wife's Blazer.

I don't mind driving in rain, but I'll avoid snow like the plague. I guess with winter tires you'll be ok. But with that $3000 you could get an older jeep or pickup truck.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Was gonna make a new thread, but then I saw this one...

I just got these Yokohama Parada Spec-X put on. They're all-seasons, and from what people have said, they're supposed to be decent in snow. The Pirelli P-zeros are basically useless for winter.

Anyway, this is what I'm gonna roll with this winter in Cleveland.
Attached Images

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
cam fan

Drives: fast
I am also (not) 16 ... but when I was I screwed up some pretty sweet SUVs from the best brands with all the gadgets: differential lock, stability management blah blah blah.

The Benz commercials climbing a wall or the Range's descending a snowy mt or even the Porsche SUV in the desert - just adverts. When you weigh as much as we do (camaros) or in my old case - SUVs, it's just the laws of physics.

It's an even balance of all the admonishment and advice you get here: drive as little as possible and when you do, make sure you have the best possible winter set-up, going as gently as possible.
cam fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
DCamaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post

It's an even balance of all the admonishment and advice you get here: drive as little as possible and when you do, make sure you have the best possible winter set-up, going as gently as possible.
Exactly my point.. Im going to be gentle, I dont plan on racing in the snow (or at all)... and lets not forget that the new babies come with traction control, that will no doubt help :P
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
DCamaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Was gonna make a new thread, but then I saw this one...

I just got these Yokohama Parada Spec-X put on. They're all-seasons, and from what people have said, they're supposed to be decent in snow. The Pirelli P-zeros are basically useless for winter.

Anyway, this is what I'm gonna roll with this winter in Cleveland.
I am new to the forums.. not sure if you can add people as friends or whatever, but I would love to hear how they did in the winter dude, if so, hit me up!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamaroLover View Post
I am new to the forums.. not sure if you can add people as friends or whatever, but I would love to hear how they did in the winter dude, if so, hit me up!
Actually just got 'em today, so I won't find out 'til winter. I read several threads on here that praised the Yokos though. Maybe check some of these out:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search...archid=6862929
E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
DCamaroLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Actually just got 'em today, so I won't find out 'til winter. I read several threads on here that praised the Yokos though. Maybe check some of these out:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search...archid=6862929
I'll look into these, I've also heard Pirelli has some good snow tires. Anyone actually own a Camero who has taken it out with snow tires? Experiences?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
Everyone wrecks their first car. 16 and a Camaro in the snow? I'd say no. Every 16 year old thinks they are different (I know I did), but it happens, you just too self confident at that age. However I've drove mine w/ the proper all-seasons in the snow just fine.
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
jeffm5690

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Hmmm. Not smart. I have been driving for 25 years... I would not use this car as my first and drive it in the snow. I live on Long Island and have an SUV for those days if I must go out. Remember its not the best car when those temps start to get down to freezing either!
jeffm5690 is offline   Reply With Quote