Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
SSmokinHot!
I go topleSS!

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Cool Upgrade exhaust ideas?

I just bought a 2012 camaro 2SS/RS convertible. Looking to upgrade some things. Any suggestions on which is better: Magna Flow, Borla, Flowmaster???
SSmokinHot! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
All personal opinion. If you don't mind drone I highly suggest the Borla S Type, but still STRONGLY recommend you hear all exhausts in person first. Internet clips never do a good job.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
caramaro1969

Drives: 69,82,84 & 10 camaros,87 GMC,07z06
hands down... magnaflow
caramaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Colonel

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
2013 Exhaust System Option

Would any of the above exhaust systems be comparable to the Dual Mode Performance exhaust that is available on the 2013 Camaro? I ordered my 2013 with the Performance exhaust system and was wondering how it sounds.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I believe the "performance system" is equivalent to the Corsa or Borla touring systems...

I have Magnaflow competition on mine... gave me a nice deep rumble, not overly loud though. Adding headders made it LOUD! changed the tone tone tho too... best bet is to hear them yourself if possible
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
I have a Corsa cat back for sale. for 2SS A6 vert. paid $1250 will sell for $600 plus shipping. less than 1000 miles on it. all hardware and clamps included
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Auto or Manual????
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
cactuseater

Drives: .
For the convertible, check out "Solo" Performance Exhaust. I'm a Flowmaster guy, that's on my coupe. The convertible presents with it's own issues due to the extra bracing underneath. Flow 40's will not fit. The closest thing I found to classic American Muscle is the Solo system hand made specifically for the Vert. Check it out.

Meanwhile, this "drone" thing is killing me. IMO it's nothing more than the sound of your engine cruising along on the highway boys. I've owned muscle cars and Vette's for decades and read here that some drivers don't like "drone" (the sound of your engine cruising along). I guess the younger generation, and those that have been driving quiet family cars, demand a quiet cabin for whatever reason. It's personal preference. Everything "muscle" that I've owned has it, from late 60's onward. My neighbor's 1967 Camaro RS has it, and it's loud. Just something that comes with the breed. When I can't hear my engine at cruise, I'd be inclined to think I was in a "family" car. My Z06 Corvette with the Chevy performance exhaust is louder inside the cabin than my coupe with the Flowmaster 40's on it, and definitely more than the Vert we have. The Vert is almost too quiet being all stock. One man's music is another man's "drone".

I've have seen that Solo also produces a system with "J Pipes" that is designed to cancel some of these newly unwanted frequencies inside the cabin. This is built into the system they have for the Camaro 5th gen Convertible. (Being the canvas top is going to let a lot more noise in that the hardtop coupe.) I am also very pleased that they are not raping people price-wise on the systems and offer free shipping. I'll be ordering the Solo system with the high flow cats for our Vert when I know that the top issues the car is experiencing have been corrected (on top #3 now, hopefully the last). Check out this link on the Vert: http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro I heard these in person and was very impressed. Reminded me of the 70's hanging around with my buddy and his juiced 1970 Chevelle SS.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I ordered the dual mode exhaust for my 13.. I'll give you my opinion once it is delivered. Granted, that won't be for quite some time though.

I hate waiting...
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
AFCMSGTRET
TCC SWFL Chapter

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Black/IO Vert
I have the Solo Mach XC Cat Back and couldn't be happier. Great sound, good price and customer support, easily installed and NO drone. http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro
AFCMSGTRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Auto or Manual????
auto
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
For the convertible, check out "Solo" Performance Exhaust. I'm a Flowmaster guy, that's on my coupe. The convertible presents with it's own issues due to the extra bracing underneath. Flow 40's will not fit. The closest thing I found to classic American Muscle is the Solo system hand made specifically for the Vert. Check it out.

Meanwhile, this "drone" thing is killing me. IMO it's nothing more than the sound of your engine cruising along on the highway boys. I've owned muscle cars and Vette's for decades and read here that some drivers don't like "drone" (the sound of your engine cruising along). I guess the younger generation, and those that have been driving quiet family cars, demand a quiet cabin for whatever reason. It's personal preference. Everything "muscle" that I've owned has it, from late 60's onward. My neighbor's 1967 Camaro RS has it, and it's loud. Just something that comes with the breed. When I can't hear my engine at cruise, I'd be inclined to think I was in a "family" car. My Z06 Corvette with the Chevy performance exhaust is louder inside the cabin than my coupe with the Flowmaster 40's on it, and definitely more than the Vert we have. The Vert is almost too quiet being all stock. One man's music is another man's "drone".

I've have seen that Solo also produces a system with "J Pipes" that is designed to cancel some of these newly unwanted frequencies inside the cabin. This is built into the system they have for the Camaro 5th gen Convertible. (Being the canvas top is going to let a lot more noise in that the hardtop coupe.) I am also very pleased that they are not raping people price-wise on the systems and offer free shipping. I'll be ordering the Solo system with the high flow cats for our Vert when I know that the top issues the car is experiencing have been corrected (on top #3 now, hopefully the last). Check out this link on the Vert: http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro I heard these in person and was very impressed. Reminded me of the 70's hanging around with my buddy and his juiced 1970 Chevelle SS.
I just had the axle back Solo's with J-pipes put on my vert at Mufflerman in Kenmore, NY (the nationwide distributor). I love them. I totally get cactuseater's comments above about drone but I have to admit I like the subtle exhaust when cruising. Allows me to talk to family and/or listen to cranking tunes. But when you step on it, even at highway speeds, you get that sweet muscle sound again. I'm very happy I bought them. I was revving it in the garage the other day and my sarcastic neighbor across the corner of our intersection yelled across the street to keep the noise down .

My favorite sound is when you start it after it has been off for a day and it idles at a higher rpm for a minute or two. Puts a smile on my face every time.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
+1 ON THE SOLO. You can't go wrong. Great sound and no drone. Perfect for the convertibles.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
General Motors Performance Parts Catalog