Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Arrow 2014 Silverado C&D First Drive Review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Quote:
Never mind that one in six full-size pickups calls the Lone Star state home. Forget that the Dallas–Fort Worth area alone buys more trucks than do most entire states. And ignore for a moment that the Chevrolet you’re reading about is actually available in Texas Edition trim. It’s not the love for pickups in the land of God, guns, and trucks that makes San Antonio the perfect place to launch the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. No, it’s the plain-talkin’, no-bull attitude that makes Texas so apt. Here, as with the latest iteration of Chevy’s breadwinner, what you see is what you get.

The bulkier Silverado won’t upset the eight-cylinder, leaf-sprung balance of the truck world with a fancy forced-induction powertrain or fancy chassis features. Chevy doesn’t have a turbocharged V-6 to wean buyers off the V-8 as Ford does, and, unlike the Ram 1500, a Silverado can’t be equipped with bedside cargo boxes or air springs. In a changing large-truck market, the Silverado has evolved like a rock; it’s a geological commodity meticulously polished by time. In focusing on the fundamentals, Chevrolet passed on the latest trends but delivered a pragmatic truck that gets the core attributes right.

It Seems to Me You Lived Your Life Like a Fist in the Wind

A full-size pickup is nothing if not big, tough, and assertive. The new Silverado takes that theme to the extreme with blockier styling cues, straighter lines, and sharper edges compared to last year’s truck. Along with squared-off wheel wells, a taller hood, and an engorged grille, it all amounts to what design director Tom Peters calls a “fist in the wind.” The LTZ trim adds finger jewelry—chrome door handles, mirror caps, and body moldings—that makes the visual assault even more intense. In fact, the design team’s best work has more to do with function than form. Notches cut into the rear bumper and the bed rail serve as step and handhold, respectively, to make climbing into the bed easier.

New packaging configurations also had a hand in shaping the new Silverado. The extended cab is now known as the double cab, with short, front-hinged doors replacing the rear-hinged pieces. While the cabin length is unchanged and interior dimensions are roughly the same, the addition of a B-pillar improves body stiffness and cabin quietness. It also makes the truck more practical, as you no longer need to open the front doors to open the rears. A newly optional 6’6” bed for the crew cab model complements the standard 5’8” bed and stretches the Silverado’s length to within 0.4 inch of 20 feet. (The 6’6” bed is the only choice for double cabs, while regular-cab models can be fitted with 6’6” or 8’0” beds.)

Compared to recent Chevrolet releases like the 2014 Impala, the Silverado’s interior is an exercise in restraint. The LTZ models we sampled were lined with a tasteful and upscale mix of materials with impressive fit and finish. A wide center console and pocket-riddled door panels offer a place for everything from pens and maps to phones and sunglasses. MyLink, Chevy’s infotainment system, is easy to navigate via the optional 8.0-inch touch screen, and there are substantial knobs for volume, radio tuning, temperature, and fan speed. There’s also a port to plug in almost anything: In a loaded LTZ model, we counted five USB ports, four 12-volt power points, an SD card slot, an auxiliary audio input, and a 110-volt household outlet.

Unimpeachable Performance

The Silverado can be had with one of three significantly updated engines now known as the Ecotec3 family, all spun from the latest GenV small-block architecture. Ecotec3 is a marketer’s synonym for direct injection, cylinder deactivation, and variable valve timing, although it’s unlikely to gain the public recognition of Ford’s EcoBoost tag. GM has given itself an advantage, however, by crafting its V-6 specifically for hard-working trucks. While the F-150 and Ram six-cylinder engines are also used in cars and crossovers, the Silverado’s 285-hp V-6 is tailor-made for this application. Its large, 4.3-liter displacement produces substantially more twist than the naturally aspirated V-6 competitors, at 305 lb-ft. The engine revs leisurely but with an authoritative torque curve that made easy work of pulling a 5000-ish-pound camper up long grades.
Quote:
For the full-size-truck faithful, Chevy’s entry V-8 is a 5.3-liter unit making 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. Its performance is unimpeachable, yet a stronger 6.2-liter V-8 will join the lineup later this year, likely with well over 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft. All three engines pair with a six-speed automatic transmission that times shifts well and executes them gracefully. And whether V-6 or V-8, all of the engines are capable of a seamless transition to V-4 operation during low-load cruising.

The engines may be new, but it’s the subtle refinements to the chassis that make the strongest impression. The Silverado possesses uncanny refinement for a vehicle that’s capable of hauling about a ton of dirt or towing up to 11,500 pounds of construction equipment. Body-on-frame trucks lack the three-dimensional rigidity of unibody cars and crossovers and the Silverado makes strides to quench the shudders that often plague pickups. Lift the hood and you’ll see braced corners in the engine compartment. The cab uses more high-strength steel and is mounted to the frame with new shear body mounts that limit fore and aft movement. As a result, what were quaking reverberations are now quivering jitters. On Texas’s lumpy but unbroken pavement, the Silverado delivered a compliant ride with no head toss to speak of. Chevy’s truck is also as quiet as a Lexus SUV thanks to acoustic-laminated glass, triple-sealed doors, and lined front wheel wells.

Hard-Working Luxury

As with any full-size truck, Silverado variants span the gamut from vinyl-floored work trucks to luxury-SUV alternatives. On top of ventilated leather seats and a heated steering wheel, buyers can add safety technologies like forward collision warning, lane departure monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert that warn the driver with audible alarms and a vibrating seat. Chevrolet has also launched a new High Country model to challenge Ford’s King Ranch and Ram’s Laramie Longhorn. It features a saddle-brown leather interior, unique 20-inch wheels, its own grille, and high-end equipment. As for that aforementioned Texas Edition: It’s a set of badges paired with optional equipment that’s available on other trims.

We’re more partial to the functional add-ons like the integrated trailer-brake controller, factory spray-in bed liner, and the back-up camera that make towing and hauling that much easier. New options include a damped tailgate, upper tie-down hooks, and LED lighting under the bed rails that illuminates your cargo even if you’re using a tonneau cover.

Priced to Move

The 2014 Chevrolet Silverado doesn’t have any glaring flaws. Its engines are strong, its chassis is stout, and its cabin is whisper quiet. But we have some doubts that it will be enough to convince folks to pass over Ford’s well-marketed EcoBoost engine or the Ram 1500’s comfortable coil-spring suspension. Chevrolet might have some doubts itself. On top of unchanged base prices from last year, Chevrolet will offer 2014 Silverado buyers free scheduled maintenance for two years or 24,000 miles. In true Texas spirit, we have to call that as we see it: That’s a sales incentive on a brand-new truck.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Are you planning on buying a pickup, if so, what would you be using it for?

Dodge is releasing a diesel for half tons, don't know much about it, but the future seems to be with diesels.

I live in an agriculture and beef economy area, lots of pickups and diesel 4x4s are VERY popular.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
Are you planning on buying a pickup, if so, what would you be using it for?

Dodge is releasing a diesel for half tons, don't know much about it, but the future seems to be with diesels.

I live in an agriculture and beef economy area, lots of pickups and diesel 4x4s are VERY popular.
Nah, If I was it would be a couple of years from now. I'm just a fan of GM. I heard about that half ton diesel, but I think it is actually a big mistake. I'm assuming it's the same diesel that's used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. If it is, it will cost 5k dollars more just for that engine option. I personally don't see that paying off with the high diesel cost and the efficiency of these new gas engines.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Price point will be the deal maker or breaker, but the 3.0 V-6 turbo diesel makes over 400 ft/lbs of torque, combined with an 8 speed automatic. The HP/TQ numbers haven't been released yet, but it's possible that this diesel will get high 20s mpg.

Time will tell, but a lot of people who use pickups as a work vehicle have been wanting a half-ton diesel pickup for years. If the diesel is viable, then Ford and GM will be in catch up mode. Ironically, the Italian company that makes the diesel is half owned by GM.

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/11832/
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
Price point will be the deal maker or breaker, but the 3.0 V-6 turbo diesel makes over 400 ft/lbs of torque, combined with an 8 speed automatic. The HP/TQ numbers haven't been released yet, but it's possible that this diesel will get high 20s mpg.

Time will tell, but a lot of people who use pickups as a work vehicle have been wanting a half-ton diesel pickup for years. If the diesel is viable, then Ford and GM will be in catch up mode. Ironically, the Italian company that makes the diesel is half owned by GM.

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/11832/
Ford has already stated that their answer to it is the ecoboost, and I'm pretty sure GM said they're not doing anything to compete with it. So Ram will be all alone with it.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Autoblog's First Drive

2014 Chevrolet Silverado
The Fullsize Pickup, Refined
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/09/2...w-first-drive/
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
King T

Truck Trend's First Drive

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 First Drive
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
At first I didn't like the look of the new Silverado but the more I see it the more I like it. It is a damn good looking truck. Sure would like to see an SS version.

(regular cab, short bed, lots o' power)
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
We'll have to wait and see how efficient small diesels are. If it's a 3.0L then that will essentially be car engine applied to a pickup. I think that is the same one they are putting in the Jeep.

But what the diesel will have is HUGE price tag. I'll predict $5,000. Throw in the need to add DEF every 5,000 miles or so and you may not have a package that is an obvious choice.

Count the fact that diesel is usually more expensive in the U.S. and you may not have a lot of takers.

It will, however, be the right choice for some. I'll be very interested to see the volumes and pricing. Maybe GM has that answer waiting in the wings.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
At first I didn't like the look of the new Silverado but the more I see it the more I like it. It is a damn good looking truck. Sure would like to see an SS version.

I think a lot of people will have the same feeling the more they see the truck. Some didn't like it after the first viewing, but as you get a chance to see it more leading up to the launch the more you can really dissect and appreciate it. I think it looks good too!

I'm with you Chase. I would love to see a Regular Cab Short Bed with the 6.2L

The RCSB testing

A couple of photoshops that looks interesting

Old 05-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post

With the amount of power the 5.3 is making I'm sure it will scoot pretty good stock now just imagine a 440hp/475lbft 6.2......
Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Lowered trucks.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
mikeyg36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Lowered trucks.

I would love for the SS to be competition for the Raptor and the Ram Runner. That would be a sick truck
Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Lowered trucks.
A little something for everybody

While I don't want a truck "laying frame", I don't mind a nice lowered truck

Especially if I'm not planning on towing or hauling nothing but ass!