Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
camaro zl1 2013

Drives: .
x pipe .؟

I want to make x pipe instead of h pipe Is there a way instead cut exhaust.? For example, magnaflow
camaro zl1 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
ninsecgt

Drives: 2017 zl1
Lightbulb X pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro zl1 2013 View Post
I want to make x pipe instead of h pipe Is there a way instead cut exhaust.? For example, magnaflow
I'd like info on this also
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I installed the Magnaflow X pipe over the winter. It was a simple install; but it's a tight fit with cooler lines that run next to the exhaust. Sounds better imo. Here is a crappy cell phone pic.

DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
ninsecgt

X pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I installed the Magnaflow X pipe over the winter. It was a simple install; but it's a tight fit with cooler lines that run next to the exhaust. Sounds better imo. Here is a crappy cell phone pic.

Does it sound any quieter with the X pipe? I hope so
Old 04-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
That pic is fine. So you cut some pipe off and clamp on the couplers?
Doesn't do anything for power does it?
What is the difference in sound?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
^^^^I would like to know about the decrease in volume too.

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
DrkPhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsecgt View Post
Does it sound any quieter with the X pipe? I hope so
This x pipe doesn't reduce or quiet the sound volume; but I knew that when I bought it. The resonated version would work better for that; but after measuring I don't think it would fit because of the large cooler lines running on either side of the tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
That pic is fine. So you cut some pipe off and clamp on the couplers?
Doesn't do anything for power does it?
What is the difference in sound?
I used a chain exhaust pipe cutter that worked perfect; cut nice and clean. The stock exhaust pipe slips inside the x pipe and I used the band clamps to seal. Once again, pretty easy to do. I found an old post on here where someone did the same thing.

I never dyno'd after so I don't know the gains; if any. The sound is noticeably different and better imo. I run LT's w/cats and never liked the sound at WOT. It has more of a tuned sound and not like a truck if that makes sense. I have a videos but they don't really capture the sound difference.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Depending on what your exhaust setup is, an x pipe can/will make your car quieter

Im running Doug Thorley 1 3/4" Tri Y headers, catless mid pipes, true duals, and flowmaster super 10 mufflers. I love the way it sounds but a while back I decided to try the magnaflow tru X pipe so I could get better scavenging. When I had the x pipe installed the sound was dampened ALOT, it was still fairly loud but I lost alot of volume. It no longer had that WOW factor that i loved,I was not happy at all. I went back to the shop the next day and had them take it off.

Last edited by MrWray; 04-13-2014 at 10:45 PM.
MrWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
ninsecgt

Sounds like what I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Depending on what your exhaust setup is, an x pipe can/will make your car quieter

Im running Doug Thorley 1 3/4" Tri Y headers, catless mid pipes, true duals, and flowmaster super 10 mufflers. I love the way it sounds but a while back I decided to try the magnaflow tru X pipe so I could get better scavenging. When I had the x pipe installed the sound was dampened ALOT, it was still fairly loud but I lost alot of volume. It no longer had that WOW factor that i loved,I was not happy at all. I went back to the shop the next day and had them take it off.
The quieter sound without all the fan fair/noise is just what I'm looking for. You can speak softly and carry a big stick ya know. Lol
Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #10
ninsecgt

Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
This x pipe doesn't reduce or quiet the sound volume; but I knew that when I bought it. The resonated version would work better for that; but after measuring I don't think it would fit because of the large cooler lines running on either side of the tunnel.

I used a chain exhaust pipe cutter that worked perfect; cut nice and clean. The stock exhaust pipe slips inside the x pipe and I used the band clamps to seal. Once again, pretty easy to do. I found an old post on here where someone did the same thing.

I never dyno'd after so I don't know the gains; if any. The sound is noticeably different and better imo. I run LT's w/cats and never liked the sound at WOT. It has more of a tuned sound and not like a truck if that makes sense. I have a videos but they don't really capture the sound difference.
Finally I've gotten the exhaust almost perfect. I had an X pipe installed today and boy do I love the sound. I never liked the sound of the factory exhaust because to me it sounded like a freaking truck and a loud truck at that. Now the car sounds......well like a car. Much quieter inside and outside. I still hate the popping sounds but even it has diminished some. My advice to those of you who appreciate silence.....get the X pipe. I drove my zl1 to work tonight and for the first time i was not embarrassed by the loud obnoxious exhaust note during start up. ps. After all how the heck can I write someone a ticket for loud exhaust when I drive a loud obnoxious sounding car myself......no can do

Last edited by ninsecgt; 04-19-2014 at 02:01 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Baer383

I just finished putting in a Magnaflow X pipe and it did quiet it down a little plus all the rasp is gone,to bad there isn't enough room for the resonated one I would have installed it instead but with 754 rwhp it is hard to quiet it down at all.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
DrkPhx

For you guys complaining about the exhaust loudness; I would definitely recommend the ADM exhaust controller. It has two settings, factory and closed at all times (including WOT). It really quiets down the sound more than anything. I just installed a cam and crank pulley and it's still quiet at idle. At WOT it quiets the exhaust so much all your hear is the supercharger whine.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
How can the camaro be too loud?

I dunno
Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Baer383

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
How can the camaro be too loud?

I dunno

Come take a ride in mine.

My neighbors sh!t their pants every time I start it.