Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Camaro Key Recall and Insurance Companies.. FYI folks.

I just received a letter from my insurance carrier (State Farm). Indicating that my vehicle has a known safety recall.

It goes into detail to explain what I already know about the Key/Ignition bump and turning off the vehicle, blah blah blah.

While it does not come outright and state this, it eludes to a point that if this recall is not done on my vehicle and I am involved in a accident where the airbags fail to deploy because the ignition turned off as a result of the recall having not been preformed, that State Farm could deny any damage or injury claims.

So a heads up for all of us (myself included) that had decided not to do the key recall.

Your insurance carrier could possibly deny any claim you have if you are injured as a result of an accident and the recall was not done..
Old 07-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Just as I expected.

Yet I am still waiting for the recall letter!

If this is such a hazard, why is the letter not here? Or why hasn't OnStar sent me a notice? They have my email address!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
That would be hard for them to prove in court (if they denied your claim), so that's probably why they phrased it as a strong suggestion and not policy.

[fwiw - all policies and contracts are subject to review in court, just because they say something doesn't mean they actually have legal footing for that policy]
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
That would be hard for them to prove in court (if they denied your claim), so that's probably why they phrased it as a strong suggestion and not policy.

[fwiw - all policies and contracts are subject to review in court, just because they say something doesn't mean they actually have legal footing for that policy]
yes I understand that,

it's just an FYI for those that want to weigh the option of not having the recall done..

personally I am having it done, but I also have a spare set of switchblade key fobs..

dealer can alter the OEM set, give me the replacements, and note the recall has been completed, I will still have 2 switchblade keys to use as my preference.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
tonysplanb

Drives: 2014 1SS
I serviced my 2014 last week and declined the change. If my insurance sends me that same letter, I might reconsider
tonysplanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
I would bet that most of the larger insurance companies will be sending similar letters to their insureds.

The reason is very simple, if you don't do the modification to the fobs and sign a waiver at the dealership, GM is now released from liability. This means that if there was an accident that involved the fob shutting off the engine and the airbags, the insurance company could not go after (enjoin) GM if they had to pay out anything due to the key fob not being recalled. The insurance company will not be left out in the cold with no way to recover any damages from GM.... That is why you received the letter....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
I would challenge them to turn the ignition off using their knee. Then I would demand that they install airbags in all of my collector cars. Find a different insurance company. That one is nutz!!!
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
State Farm are a bunch of FOCKING IDIOTS! This isn't the cobalt recall where it's the ignition switch gets cut and airbags don't deploy! This is where the key is so bulky you can knock it from on to off position "unintended" while driving down the road.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Recall, what recall? No one has contacted me of a recall. Must be a hoax, I must have heard it on the internet.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
I have been back to the dealer every two weeks since I bought the car 2 months ago and they never mentioned the recall to me, nor have I gotten a notice in the mail, email, or a phone call. I have not received a letter in the mail from my insurance either....lol

Oh and btw, they never asked me if I wanted to sign to waive it either.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
I hate State Farm. They jacked up my insurance by nearly double a bunch of years back by "relocating" me due to my having payed my insurance in person at an out of town agent while I was TDY for a couple of months. It took cancelling my policy to sort it out. My agent even attempted to get physical with me when our conversatin became heated.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakjak1215 View Post
I have been back to the dealer every two weeks since I bought the car 2 months ago and they never mentioned the recall to me, nor have I gotten a notice in the mail, email, or a phone call. I have not received a letter in the mail from my insurance either....lol

Oh and btw, they never asked me if I wanted to sign to waive it either.
Until your vehicle gets flagged in their system for the recall there's no waiver for you to sign or recall for them to apply.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadblock View Post
I would challenge them to turn the ignition off using their knee.
That is effectively the defense for not having the recall applied - show me how it contributed. But they'll get a couple large money cases to fall for their strong arming tactic and it will at least pay for the stamps/paper to send those notices.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Not suprised at this. I have already seen the late night fly by night vulture law firms trying to stir up class actions.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote