Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Goodels
2013 Camaro 1LT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Borla or MRT?

I just got my first Camaro recently and I wanted to upgrade the exhaust first. I do plan on doing more mods to my Camaro, but I want to start under the hood and in the exhaust first. I'm at a point where I don't know which one to get; the Borla exhaust or MRT exhaust. I know both have their own pros and cons but I just want to know from the community which way I might want to go!

Thanks in advance!
Goodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I love my Borlas, Others love their MRT. It really depends on the sound you want? Good luck deciding.

Here ya go, professionally done videos of mine & an MRT. Listen with headphones!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148671
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Goodels
2013 Camaro 1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I love my Borlas, Others love their MRT. It really depends on the sound you want? Good luck deciding.
I want something that has a good power sound to it, something loud but not annoyingly loud. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
BigVic
Speed Racer

Drives: 2022 LT1
Borla 11776 axle-back

I have the Borla axle-back on my 2012 V6 manual.

Sound is pretty tame, but virtually no raspy sound, and no drone at all. I have over 6K and no issues.

Link below (HQ video of my car at #12):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307540

Post delivery - FR 41 ZL1 Replica Rims (20x10 Front, +23 - 20x11 Rear, +43), Llumar 28% Tint, Ceramic Paint Coating, Hardwired Uniden R3 Radar Unit and Viofo A129 Dashcam, TMG A-15 (dual) front Laser Jammers
BigVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Both are very nice sounding systems but the MRT v2 is the more popular of the two.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Goodels
2013 Camaro 1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Both are very nice sounding systems but the MRT v2 is the more popular of the two.
Yeah, I've seen that but which sounds more powerful and just louder in general? Like I want one that sounds powerful and loud, but not distorted and just overall sounds good. But the MRT v2 is quite I heard. I don't know. I'm stuck on deciding because I don't know which would sound better and just sound more lean and powerful.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Goodels
2013 Camaro 1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
From what a friend tells me, BORLA is top notch. I went with Flowmaster because it's reasonable, and I like the decal popping i'm getting with the Super 10s.....on the way home, I had a massive POP that came out the back and it sounded somewhat like an M80 firecracker lol...I was shocked haha
Oh Flowmaster, I had that on my Avalanche! I loooovveeeeee Flowmaster! But has it added any horsepower to your engine at all? I heard Borla does. I don't know about MRT
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Axle backs won't add anything that you can feel on the Camaros. The exhaust has pretty good flow already.

Personally I went with MRT v2 myself, I have a video in my build thread but I have the LLT and headers so it is louder. But will be different than the LFX in the '13s
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodels View Post
Yeah, I've seen that but which sounds more powerful and just louder in general? Like I want one that sounds powerful and loud, but not distorted and just overall sounds good. But the MRT v2 is quite I heard. I don't know. I'm stuck on deciding because I don't know which would sound better and just sound more lean and powerful.
Terms like "powerful" and "lean" and "good" and even "loud" are too subjective for anyone on the forum to tell you what will meet your expectations.

You need to find a local club or some C5 members who are local to you and hear some in person. Next best would be videos, but they're too subject to recording and playback variations to be sure you're getting what you want.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodels View Post
I would not describe the v2 as quiet. It is not a loud system, it is an axle back, but it is louder than the Borla.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
RubyCamaro
Jan

Borla is definitely not loud. It is just as quiet as stock at cruise & idle but sounds great at start-up & WOT! Try to find a local Camaro club & hit some events to hear them in person. Be warned, no exhaust sounds good on out V6's reving sitting still. They need to be under load to sound good.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 08-28-2014 at 10:08 AM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
MRTv2 for me and VERY happy with my decision...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
Goodels
2013 Camaro 1LT

Thank you so much guys! This really did help out a lot! I was wondering though.. what is the difference between axle back and cat back? Does the catback add more performance or power? Thanks so much. I just want to make sure I'm not disappointed when I make a decision.

Oh, another thing! MRT v2 isn't an X pipe and I heard from some that X pipes are stronger and louder than H pipe? Is this true?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
RubyCamaro
Jan

I was told basicly the cat back is just bettter if you plan to get headers in the long run. At the time, I did not plan to do so so I got the axle back. Once I decided to go ahead & get headers I just bought the high flow cats & H-pipe along with it & it was no big deal.

Tags
engine, exhaust, help me