Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
miguelfranco

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
Appraisal surprise. Apparent accident not reported

I need help guys/gals. I went to Carmax today for a free appraisal and to my surprise, the used Camaro I bought had been in an accident. When I bought the car I asked the sales rep if the car had been in an accident never reported to The police (with Carfax and Autocheck in mind) and the response was no.

The appraisal officer from Carmax stated the car had frame repairs (welding) and the front fender had been replaced. I called the dealership claiming that I was lied to and the manager stated they had no knowledge on this apparent accident.

Is there any way to get a serial number of possible parts replaced (ie. fender) to see who bought the part? If it was the previous owner or if the dealership bought it and they are lying to me?

Please help me, I need to straighten this out. Thanks everyone, be safe!!
miguelfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Not sure what the laws are in your state but if you bought it used I think you might be SOL.

You would have a leg to stand on if you had bought it new.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
fp115

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Unless you asked for a Carmax specifically, the dealer sadly has some legal ground here in stating they were not aware. This could very well be true.

Doesn't mean you are screwed, however it does mean that somewhere down the chain someone has lied, likely the previous owner. If the dealership did in fact not know of the damages, you likely would end up suing damages from the previous owner.

If this is a GM dealer, I would just report it to GM and see where that takes you. No sense in going through the courts. The process alone would drive anyone nuts.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Car salesmen will often say just about anything to sell a car. "Only driven on Sundays by an elderly woman..." for example. Unless you have it in writing that there are no accidents (check your paperwork), you may may be in for an uphill battle.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Problem is that if it was never reported then there is no liability for that. I'd look to blame the shop that did the repair and the owner who wrecked the car.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
buying "As Is No Warranty" could be a problem.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
miguelfranco

Thanks everybody! Yeah i though about getting the fender serial number and tracking back who bought it and when so I can get to the root quicker. I was told that it may have been the dealer itself who wrecked it but I called the dealer collision center and there is no record of this car being there. I think I'll have to suck it up and deal with the financial hit. Thanks a lot for your time guys.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
My Wife stopped for a very slight bumper tap from behind (the person was shoved into her by another who hit) the contact left a slight rub mark on the car that wasn't even big enough to rub out. Of course it was never reported and no claim filed.
When we went to trade the car, the CARFux report said the car had been towed from the scene as undriveable. The only reason she stuck around was to make sure the woman who was hit was OK. WTF??? Took us a while to figure out what it was about (as the car had NEVER been in an accident) Pointed the rub mark out to the dealer (who couldn't see it at first) and after a brief argument they gave us full value for the trade.

I wouldn't believe anything on those stupid reports unless I see evidence of the repairs. Was the frame welded?? The evidence of that kind of work should be pretty obvious.

As always, if you're buying used, you should have the dealer produce the Carfux report for you..
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
If the dealership did in fact not know of the damages, you likely would end up suing damages from the previous owner.

HUH?
Good luck with that concept.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
miguelfranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
My Wife stopped for a very slight bumper tap from behind (the person was shoved into her by another who hit) the contact left a slight rub mark on the car that wasn't even big enough to rub out. Of course it was never reported and no claim filed.
When we went to trade the car, the CARFux report said the car had been towed from the scene as undriveable. The only reason she stuck around was to make sure the woman who was hit was OK. WTF??? Took us a while to figure out what it was about (as the car had NEVER been in an accident) Pointed the rub mark out to the dealer (who couldn't see it at first) and after a brief argument they gave us full value for the trade.

I wouldn't believe anything on those stupid reports unless I see evidence of the repairs. Was the frame welded?? The evidence of that kind of work should be pretty obvious.

As always, if you're buying used, you should have the dealer produce the Carfux report for you..
Yeah it shows welding in the frame and I received an Autocheck that seems to me more accurate. I'll keep doing some research to see what I find
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelfranco View Post
Yeah it shows welding in the frame and I received an Autocheck that seems to me more accurate. I'll keep doing some research to see what I find
It's a shame, but you'll get nothing for your efforts. Even a "certified" used car doesn't require prior damage disclosure and it's on the buyer to determine the car's value and negotiate accordingly. Verbal statements by a used car dealer mean nothing and are never actionable.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
miguelfranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindave View Post
It's a shame, but you'll get nothing for your efforts. Even a "certified" used car doesn't require prior damage disclosure and it's on the buyer to determine the car's value and negotiate accordingly. Verbal statements by a used car dealer mean nothing and are never actionable.
Urgh! Ok. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Perhaps if you can prove they owned the car at the time of the incident you might have something to work with (in the unlikely event there is some law in your state pertaining to such things.)
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
fp115

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
HUH?
Good luck with that concept.
This has been done often. In fact, I had to cover 2 cases just like that in law school. You end up suing the dealer, the dealer names the previous owner as the defendant. It is the seller's responsible to make the buying party aware of any issues during sale.

Not surprisingly, 25% of the cases I had to do related to car sales. Things like buying cars "as is" are not a legal argument that holds up in court.