Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
CamaroNoob

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Manual
Exclamation Will This Tone Down My Loud Exhaust

So I have a LS3 V8 Camaro. Right now it's the stock catback but it's straight piped right after the h-pipe so no resonators or mufflers. Everything else is stock. It's not too loud for me but I would like it to be just a little more quiet and less raspy. My friend has a 3 INCH flowmaster OUTLAW catback that he could sell me really CHEAP. So I know those mufflers are pretty much straight through but will it drop the decibels down a bit and remove the rasp?

Attached Images

Last edited by CamaroNoob; 04-23-2016 at 09:27 PM.
CamaroNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
I had a muffler delete on an LS3 too and the thing sounded like a tank. I went with the SP Retros and it sounds WAY more refined !!
The Outlaws compare to the Retros from what I hear.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Install the Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe in place of the stock H-pipe. It will quiet it down a little and get rid of any raspyness.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
CamaroNoob

I'm not asking about any other system so please don't mention them. Like I said my friend is selling this catback dirt cheap.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
If it's straight piped all the way, that Flowmaster exhaust will probably be a little better than what you have. If you are trying to stay cheap then I would definitely do this swap. Worst case you don't like them or not a big enough difference, then replace the Flowmaster with something else. You are not going to know until you install them and try them out. I'd tell you to watch audio clips of that exhaust but those can be misleading sometimes.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
@ Splashlog48...... Oh come on. I know the muff delete is less refined and isn't for everyone but it certainly does not sound like a tank. I get compliments all the time so I think you're way off base there and statements like that may deter people from a perfectly good sound for little cost. Keep it real.....
Old 04-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
The Outlaw is one of the most aggressive catbacks out there, I would hardly call it toned down lol.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Airway Monkey

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
@ Splashlog48...... Oh come on. I know the muff delete is less refined and isn't for everyone but it certainly does not sound like a tank. I get compliments all the time so I think you're way off base there and statements like that may deter people from a perfectly good sound for little cost. Keep it real.....
Sound with exhaust is all preference. I, for one, value everyone's opinion. You have to look at exhausts that way. One may sound that straight piped sounds like a tank.....you think it sounds good. Both are subjective and highly biased. Some may say Corsa sounds like a high-pitched weasel while I think it sounds like the Gods are thundering down from a terrible storm in a V8 Ferrari.

You are certainly able to say you think someone is way off base....but let's be fair, these cars are all our own individual representations of what we want in a car. So I wouldn't argue that someone is wrong when they say how a car looks, sounds, etc.

Now...

OP, you've already made up your mind. Your friend's exhaust is dirt cheap...you wanna try it. Doesn't sound like you'll be any worse for your wear if you go with the Flowmaster exhaust and it is still just as raspy. Try it out....you may find it's the perfect pitch with a slight decrease in rasp. Or you may wanna add a little more to cut down on all the rasp. Give it a shot...have fun...and let us know how it goes!!

-Matt
Airway Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I for one am glad I've waited for an exhaust upgrade. I've read countless posts here from people who thought they wanted a monster V8 roar only to come to complain about interior 'resonance", angry neighbors, crawling down the driveway at idle during pre-dawn hours, etc. Then swapping it all back out for something more mellow and pleasing.

Could all that work and expense end up sounding a lot like...a stock exhaust?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
I have that. Buy it. Its between stock and straight pipe volume levels. You wont regret it.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
TXsilvy

Drives: camaro
Yes, it will tone it down

heads/cam/blown/meth 408 LS
TXsilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
CamaroNoob

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsilvy View Post
Yes, it will tone it down
Ok this is what I wanted to know if it will be a bit more quiet thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #13
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I for one am glad I've waited for an exhaust upgrade. I've read countless posts here from people who thought they wanted a monster V8 roar only to come to complain about interior 'resonance", angry neighbors, crawling down the driveway at idle during pre-dawn hours, etc. Then swapping it all back out for something more mellow and pleasing.

Could all that work and expense end up sounding a lot like...a stock exhaust?
GM should be ashamed at the pre-NPP stock exhausts they put on these things. Those giant trash cans made the car so quiet, a Tesla was louder.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
GM should be ashamed at the pre-NPP stock exhausts they put on these things. Those giant trash cans made the car so quiet, a Tesla was louder.
I'll give you the weight and unnecessary hardware but it hardly sounds like a Tesla. An 'adjustable' note would be nice.