Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Fbodfather - Pontiac question

Mr. Fbodfather:

I know you represent GM, I was curious...is Pontiac really on the short list of brands to go the way of Oldsmobile? Or is that just rumor?

Also, and if you can't answer this in detail I understand, but what is the future direction of Pontiac? Is it moving more towards the direction of the G8 or will the brand get another "muscle" car anytime in the near future?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
I know I'm not the one the question is directed to, but the short answer is, no. GMC will go before Pontiac goes, since GMC has no overly unique vehicles, unlike Pontiac.

As far as direction goes, I think it is obvious from recent commercials that Pontiac is GM's future European fighter.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Future product plans do not have GMC or Pontiac going anywhere. Nothing is set in stone yet, but sources say that GMC will soon focus more on crossovers while Pontiac will be receiving a few new products, the G3 (BLECH), an all-new G5, possibly based off the Cruze (WHY?!?!), and a sedan to slot between the two cars (G4?). The G6 will transition to the new Epsilon II platform in the near future and is predicted to be a rebadge of the next-gen EpII Malibu (NOOO!!!). The Solstice is dead once its model life ends as the Kappa Platform is dying as well. We haven't heard anything about a next-gen G8...

But again, these are just well-founded rumors and speculation.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
GMC you guys have to remember is the Professional grade stuff & their fleet trucks/vans/SUV/Crossovers. Yes while I understand that they can use the chevy side to fleet stuff out (which they do) but GMC just is better for most companies. I drive a Chevy Fleet style van.

That is all that GMC sells. They dont sell cars they sell TRUCKS.

Believe me the truck side of things are not dead or will never die out.

Pontiac is getting new life breathed back in to it with the G8 srpots truck (which I think should be on the chevy side, but its not up to the buyers)

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GMC/Chevy share the same vehicles, but GMC has a much more upscale feel. For example, my Envoy's interior looks much more luxurious than a comparable Trailblazer's. While the Trailblazer's vents bulge out from the dash, my Envoy's vents are blended in and ringed with chrome accents.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
Pontiac is getting new life breathed back in to it with the G8 srpots truck
I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon View Post
I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.
That thing could end up selling like the SSR, or the HHR, only time will tell.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
a quick g8 question

will the g8 get the cadillac cts 3.6 di v6 engine in 2010 or 2009?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
a quick g8 question

will the g8 get the cadillac cts 3.6 di v6 engine in 2010 or 2009?
Probably the same time the G8 GXP comes out.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
getting rid of a brand is frighteningly expensive......

We have contracts with our dealers - and when you 'eliminate' a Division - you open up quite a can of worms -- we are still working thru the closing of the Oldsmobile Division.

Pontiac has a reason for being - the REAL question is: where is the future of the American Auto Industry?

MY PERSONAL OPINION: I think it's high time Americans started to think about what's in the best interests of the country as a whole - rather than "what's in the best interests of ME!" -
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
MY PERSONAL OPINION: I think it's high time Americans started to think about what's in the best interests of the country as a whole - rather than "what's in the best interests of ME!" -
:flag2::flag2:
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
getting rid of a brand is frighteningly expensive......

We have contracts with our dealers - and when you 'eliminate' a Division - you open up quite a can of worms -- we are still working thru the closing of the Oldsmobile Division.

Pontiac has a reason for being - the REAL question is: where is the future of the American Auto Industry?

trooof!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #13
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
I certainly can't speak for GM or anyone else, but the G8 is the first Pontiac vehicle that actually made me stop, get out of my car, and look at the vehicle without me even having intentions to go look at cars. I just happened to drive by a lot and see the G8 and thought "Damn, that's nice. I'm gonna go look at it".

That being said, I think they're taking steps in the right direction.
flaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
digitalshow

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Me too...I was just passing by the lot headed some where and actually stopped to check out the white G8 they had parked next to the road. It was very slick indeed. After test driving it...I actually considered buying it instead of waiting for the Camaro...but then I slapped myself and got my senses back. Nice car...but I'm glad I waited for Camaro!

Tony B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaguy View Post
I certainly can't speak for GM or anyone else, but the G8 is the first Pontiac vehicle that actually made me stop, get out of my car, and look at the vehicle without me even having intentions to go look at cars. I just happened to drive by a lot and see the G8 and thought "Damn, that's nice. I'm gonna go look at it".

That being said, I think they're taking steps in the right direction.
digitalshow is offline   Reply With Quote