Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Solo Mach X After Further Review

I installed the Mach X cat back on my SS manual a week ago and was quite pleased with it as I said in my previous post on this subject.

However, the drone on expressways around 70 - 75 mph, 1750 - 2100 rpm, is quite bad to me. At first I thought it was because the back seat was down. I raised it which helped a little, but that drone is just oppressive to me.

It is a shame because it sounds so good in all other regimes. However, I spend a good portion of my driving during the week on the turnpike, so I just don't think that I will be able to tolerate it long term. Even trying fifth gear at that speed does not help much inside and it also hits that frequency during upshifts for the brief time that it is in that power band.

Anyway I think that I am going to take it off and try a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back. They are not supposed to be too loud nor drone but have good sound. "Supposed" being the key word.

Thankfully I saved my stock system intact, so if all else fails I can put it back on. Hope it doesn't come to that, but I am not willing to endure the discomfort of resonance in my car. This could turn out to be one expensive experiment.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
ahh.. at least theres a good market for used exhausts out there.. hope you dont loose to much on the sales
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I don't seem to have much drone at all at 70-75 in 6th gear! In fact it's downright quiet! Are you sure all your clamps are tight, maybe a leak somewhere? The only time mine even approaches a drone is in 4th or 5th gear around 1800-2000 mainly when laboring the engine going up a slight incline or depressing the throttle lightly to gain a little speed, otherwise no issue with drone at all! I hope you are able to resolve the problem! Have you called Steve or Jeff at Solo?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
has anybody with the mach x added headers yet? would love to hear that sound.
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
ok, found the video.
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
sorry to hear.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
I installed the Mach X cat back on my SS manual a week ago and was quite pleased with it as I said in my previous post on this subject.

However, the drone on expressways around 70 - 75 mph, 1750 - 2100 rpm, is quite bad to me. At first I thought it was because the back seat was down. I raised it which helped a little, but that drone is just oppressive to me.

It is a shame because it sounds so good in all other regimes. However, I spend a good portion of my driving during the week on the turnpike, so I just don't think that I will be able to tolerate it long term. Even trying fifth gear at that speed does not help much inside and it also hits that frequency during upshifts for the brief time that it is in that power band.

Anyway I think that I am going to take it off and try a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back. They are not supposed to be too loud nor drone but have good sound. "Supposed" being the key word.

Thankfully I saved my stock system intact, so if all else fails I can put it back on. Hope it doesn't come to that, but I am not willing to endure the discomfort of resonance in my car. This could turn out to be one expensive experiment.
Hello,
There are a few things you should check before you remove the system. A few have experienced drone due to a few reasons:

1. Check all clamps for leaks...we recommended re-tightening all clamps after about 500 miles of driving, as they will expand upon initial heating during the break-in period.

2. Check the clearances between the exhaust and the body of the car. If the clearance is not enough, you will get more noise in the car.

3. Make sure your heat shield is on tight. The bolts have come loose on many cars, and a loose heat shield can transfer sound into the car.

4. Make sure the tips are not recessed inside the fascia, and not too close to the fascia. we have seen from other cars that this makes a huge difference.

5. If none of this works, we have QR resonators that would take care of any noise in that range. Check the abive and if they do not work, give Jeff a call at 905-703-1557 and he will work with you to correct the problem.

Steve
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post

Mat your trunk with a product like Fatmat, Hushmat, or Dynamat. It will quite things down for you.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
FB3

Thanks for the responses. I only have about 100 miles on it now and plan to get under it tomorrow and check all clearances and clamps.

Tips are definitely not recessed. Strange thing is the condition does seem to fluctuate, so hopefully there is something loose or too close to the structure. Will definitely check and update when I do.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Mat your trunk with a product like Fatmat, Hushmat, or Dynamat. It will quite things down for you.
Ditto...
I used Dynamat and it made a big difference!
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I thought the drone was because of the AFM on the L99's.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I ripped out the GMPP cans due to Drone.
If Drone bothers you just get a Corsa and put it to bed.
NO DRONE!!
-Bobby
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
FB3

I had a Corsa cat back on my G8 GXP and really liked it, but thought I would try something a little deeper for the Camaro.

Exhausts are like colors. Some like red, some like blue, etc. I am going to try all of the suggestions here before I pull it off.

I am sorry that I didn't call Solo first, but did not think that it was their fault nor that anything could be done. Now I see there are possibly some remedies. I do not like to complain about a product before I give the manufacturer ample time to try and fix it, but this is most likely just a case of my personal preferences.