Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Daily driver or not???
Every friggn day 52 57.78%
Weekend toy 11 12.22%
Shacked for the Winter 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #43
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm just saying ppl develop opinions based on the way you dress, the car you drive, whether or not your married etc etc etc. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying thats what happens. My uncle owns a BMW Z4 (yeah i know its not that impressive), but he doesn't drive this car to business meetings as his clients would undoubtedly think they were paying him too much to afford a Bimmer. Instead he drives his Chevy Trailblazer which he likely paid more than the BMW for. Its all about perception.
10-4. Come to think of it, this reminds me of something one of my bestfreinds told me about his father when he was considering buying a new work vehicle for his business. I think at some point he was considering buying a Volvo XC90 T6 (at the time). He said his father decided against it because he didn't want potential clients to think he was some pompous businessman who pranced around in his premium luxury SUV from meeting to meeting, demo to demo. So instead he got a cheaper and far more useful F-150 Crew Cab. Fits the everyday working man image better too. However, I'll be burning rubber in my Camaro from work to home, and everywhere inbetween. Take a cut in pay? Whoever said I had to stay???

Thanks for educating me on the salt thing guys, it's appreciated. Never know what you may run into in the future, especially living outside of CA.

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
it isn't about salt and rear wheel drive, its about salt and steel. Salt+steel+water =rust. There is a bit of a problem with snow and rwd, back ends have a tendancy to slide out easily

oops, 3rd person to say something like that
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #45
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
So, anyone got any tips to relieve the salt damage for us gusy who porbably will only afford this car and thus will have to drive it in winter too?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 AM   #46
Seanskny

Drives: 2011 2SS RS delivered 6-22-10
I saw snow the other day and I put my current away. They now say that it is going to be 40 deg the rest of the week. I trust that about as much as I do car dealers, so mine is parked. The new one will be parked when the leaves change and the frost on the window blocks my view. Defrost is meant for trucks and those that don't own Camaro's. Let the Crustangs soak up the salt and rust away like they are meant to do!
Seanskny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #47
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
So, anyone got any tips to relieve the salt damage for us gusy who porbably will only afford this car and thus will have to drive it in winter too?
If you HAVE to drive it during the winter, hook up a hose to the hot water line on your house and try and rinse off as much of the salt as possible. Wash you car if you can (heavy rubber gloves and a butchers apron help a lot). I've washed my car mid-january on a 38 degree day, and although its not fun, it does help.

Also, most modern cars have better steel coatings under the paint which help reduce rust... so future cars are a lot better than older ones. Also, the front end of the new Camaro will most likely be plastic/composite material, so the rock chips up front won't cause rust, they'll just look like a$$.

Finally, if you are REALLY serious, bring your car to a paint shop ever 3 years and have them fix the rock chips... OR, 3M also sells a clear vinyl car protectent kit (I've used it on Mountain Bikes for a long time) and it protects against damage in the most vulnerable areas.

In the end, the best thing though is to find a real cheap winter beater and just drive that... which reminds me, what do folks recommend for winter beaters?

My favorites are Ford Focus (cheap!), Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor (cheap!!), any mid 80's subaru wagon (cheap and AWD)

~LSx
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Another option is to use some sort of electronic rust proofing device. They really do work and are used on ships, bridges, trucks and busses all the time. This site has a good explanation as well as products. http://www.ruststoponline.com/rustpr...mitations.html They say that their product is 75% effective or so, which means that the car will last 4 times longer before it gets totally eaten by rust. Of course, there is still the option of getting a cheap car that gets you from point A to point B and has a working heater, otherwise known as a beater. Very low operating cost on these vehicles, they get good milage, low insurance, cheap used parts are plentiful. And they are often surprising hard to kill, they will last for years when you think that any day could be its last.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #49
Sero

Drives: 99 Mitsibishi Eclipse RS
I live in SoFla so with to SoCal peeps, it will be my 365 car My daughter (5 years old in Jan) loves it, she's always walking up to my laptop and saying "I love your new car Daddy" LoL, how do you pass that up

Respect: Give it, Earn it, Demand it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
REPEAT AFTER ME:

"......they are NOT the real headlights.........."

Sero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #50
$Ē's 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
^^^thats funny cause my 3 yr old son says the same. "Thats daddy's race car? Its fast!!! I live in SoEaTex so 365 for me
$Ē's 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #51
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
I WANT to try to get all the Camaro gens...toughest to get for me I guess will be 1st and 2nd Gen...so then I could say a Camaro will be a daily driver, but which one??? :P But definitely for now I would make my current and the new one weekend warriors and occasionally trips to work back and forth, already have my truck and gonna get a little gas sipper import as well which will be my main daily drivers.
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #52
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
Quote:
Originally Posted by $Ē's 5th Gen View Post
^^^thats funny cause my 3 yr old son says the same. "Thats daddy's race car? Its fast!!! I live in SoEaTex so 365 for me

My nephews love my Camaro now, they get mixed feelings cause their stepdad is a mustang guy and he gets pissed when they say how much they like my car better. :P Speaking of kids....I was at a stop light one day and had my t-tops off, this guy pulls up in an SUV and his little girl is in the backseat, looked like she was maybe 4 or 5 years old, with the window down. She's like "HI!", so I say hi back. The light goes green and I drive off, my Camaro is pretty damn loud....so she's like "Whoah!" when I drive off, heh! Then the next stop light turns red, same SUV pulls up and she yells out the window "Your car is loud and fast!" My girlfriend and I got a good kick outta it.
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #53
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by hftech View Post
I WANT to try to get all the Camaro gens...toughest to get for me I guess will be 1st and 2nd Gen...so then I could say a Camaro will be a daily driver, but which one??? :P But definitely for now I would make my current and the new one weekend warriors and occasionally trips to work back and forth, already have my truck and gonna get a little gas sipper import as well which will be my main daily drivers.
That's exactly my plan. I'm going to get a Z28 from each Generation. I really should start with a 1st Gen and work my way up to the 5th gen. The older Camaros are only going to go up in price. But I don't think it's going to happen quite that way.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #54
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
If you HAVE to drive it during the winter, hook up a hose to the hot water line on your house and try and rinse off as much of the salt as possible. Wash you car if you can (heavy rubber gloves and a butchers apron help a lot). I've washed my car mid-january on a 38 degree day, and although its not fun, it does help.

Also, most modern cars have better steel coatings under the paint which help reduce rust... so future cars are a lot better than older ones. Also, the front end of the new Camaro will most likely be plastic/composite material, so the rock chips up front won't cause rust, they'll just look like a$$.

Finally, if you are REALLY serious, bring your car to a paint shop ever 3 years and have them fix the rock chips... OR, 3M also sells a clear vinyl car protectent kit (I've used it on Mountain Bikes for a long time) and it protects against damage in the most vulnerable areas.

In the end, the best thing though is to find a real cheap winter beater and just drive that... which reminds me, what do folks recommend for winter beaters?

My favorites are Ford Focus (cheap!), Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor (cheap!!), any mid 80's subaru wagon (cheap and AWD)

~LSx
Okay, I might think about some of those things. I might be able to convince my dad to give me the Saab we have now after he's done with it and keep it as a beater for the winter. It is after all very durable, Imight have to put down some money on repairs evry now and then, but in the meantime it's not fast but always starts.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #55
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hftech View Post
My nephews love my Camaro now, they get mixed feelings cause their stepdad is a mustang guy and he gets pissed when they say how much they like my car better. :P Speaking of kids....I was at a stop light one day and had my t-tops off, this guy pulls up in an SUV and his little girl is in the backseat, looked like she was maybe 4 or 5 years old, with the window down. She's like "HI!", so I say hi back. The light goes green and I drive off, my Camaro is pretty damn loud....so she's like "Whoah!" when I drive off, heh! Then the next stop light turns red, same SUV pulls up and she yells out the window "Your car is loud and fast!" My girlfriend and I got a good kick outta it.
NICE. Kids and cars are always fun... I am taking my best friends 3 year old to his first car show on Saturday (NE Auto Show in Boston) and it should be fun. He has already asked his dad to get a 'race car' for their next car like mine (I think he digs the stripes!) but I can't wait until he sees Bumblebee!

~LSx
Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #56
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
I don't get this whole thing about salt and RWD??? Sorry, born and raised in SoCal, this is what I know.

I also don't understand people buying cars based off of how others perceive them. If my boss doesn't want to give me a raise because he thinks I make enough because I'm driving a Camaro, which "looks expensive", then I'd really question his code of ethics. Your worth should not be based upon what you have in terms of material possessions (let alone a car, which is absurd), but what you bring to the table in terms of work performance and value.
salt will destroy paint! especially if you have any rock chips it will make it rust 10x quicker. i dont mind driving a rwd car in the snow(i did with my 99camaro) im just not a fan of salty cars. plus i dont want to have to take it through a drive through car wash. i wash all my cars by hand. it just sucks in the winter time.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote