Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Living at the beach....rinse off in between rain storms?

Anyone who has lived at the beach knows there are random 5 min rains and then it will be sunny. Well I absolutely hate seeing the hard water stains (which look like they are filled w/ salt) sitting on my paint.

I seal and wax my car bi-yearly and use a wax-as-you-dry product after every wash which is usually once a week. However, I am going to the local self service wash station and spraying the car down w/ a soap mixture then rinsing it off in between these random storms so that salty water isn't sitting and baking on my car in the sun.

I'd like everyone's opinion on if this is the best idea or if there is a better idea out there. Also, i'm in a waiting list for a garage at my apartment but until then, this is what I have to deal with.
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
I would just go with a rinseless or waterless wash like Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash+ Concentrate. Or if you can and are at home, just a simple detail spray wipe down once it stops raining will prevent the minerals in the rain from etching or spotting your paint.

The reason I go with these choices are because you can pick up distilled water and make sure you're using clean water yourself rather than relying on the wash stations water, and you can do it at home.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
I live on Long Island, and pretty much get the same thing you do. I have been using Pinnacles Waterless Wash with carnuba wax after washes with great results.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Cornflakes'Camaro

Thanks for your input guys. KostnKost, you use the waterless wash after it rains to prevent the water spots?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Having a good coat of sealant/wax on the surface and getting the water off the surface are the best methods for combating water spots. Our Waterless Wash works well here.

You mentioned using a self service car wash. If you are doing that, avoid using the soaps there as they are almost always highly acidic and will strip off and LSP you have (or had) on your car. They have to be strong since there are no brushes to agitate the dirt on your car. It's best to just use the high pressure water in the self service bays if that's the route you want to go.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Thanks for your input guys. KostnKost, you use the waterless wash after it rains to prevent the water spots?
I use a waterless maybe once or twice during the week after I give my car a nice bath and I never bring it to a car wash or self service station.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
Cornflakes'Camaro

During a full wash of my car, the self service station I use is strictly for the water flow gentlemen. Wanted to get that clear. However, following a storm I will no longer be using the spray soap as Nick@Adams mentioned how aggressive it can be. Luckily, I only used it once before I was educated.

Now, since my skull is rather thick and we all know the paint on these cars (or atleast mine) is extremely thin, let me get this straight....

For instance, I wash the car on Sunday. With my luck, it rains Tuesday. Wednesday it's sunny and hot, and I get those hard, somewhat salty/sandy, water stains. My best option would be to spray the car down w/ the Adams Waterless Wash right after it rains or later on in the evening when it's cooler (even if the water and salt is dried) and follow the Adams Waterless Wash directions, and the car will look "just washed" without swirl marks, correct? Objections/Suggestions?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Personally, and this is just me, but you may want to wax/seal your car more than "bi-yearly" as you stated. Since obtaining my car in October of last year, I have waxed my car twice and sealed it once. As soon as I start seeing water stains on my car I know it's time. I assume if this water stains keep coming back even after waxing, then a PC is in my near future. A waterless will not do much if you do not have a first line of protection on the car(wax or seal). The best offense is a great defense.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
ec1990

Quote:
During a full wash of my car, the self service station I use is strictly for the water flow gentlemen. Wanted to get that clear. However, following a storm I will no longer be using the spray soap as Nick@Adams mentioned how aggressive it can be. Luckily, I only used it once before I was educated.

Now, since my skull is rather thick and we all know the paint on these cars (or atleast mine) is extremely thin, let me get this straight....

For instance, I wash the car on Sunday. With my luck, it rains Tuesday. Wednesday it's sunny and hot, and I get those hard, somewhat salty/sandy, water stains. My best option would be to spray the car down w/ the Adams Waterless Wash right after it rains or later on in the evening when it's cooler (even if the water and salt is dried) and follow the Adams Waterless Wash directions, and the car will look "just washed" without swirl marks, correct? Objections/Suggestions?
That completely depends on how dirty your car is and how comfortable you are with waterless washes. What towels are you using? Because it is better if you use towels with a long nap so dirt can get pulled further in to the towel and not be dragged across the paint. If it's anything more than light dust I wouldn't use a waterless, now if it rains and once it stops you wipe it down I would do, but personally I would just do a rinseless wash if the spots were dried on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
Personally, and this is just me, but you may want to wax/seal your car more than "bi-yearly" as you stated. Since obtaining my car in October of last year, I have waxed my car twice and sealed it once. As soon as I start seeing water stains on my car I know it's time. I assume if this water stains keep coming back even after waxing, then a PC is in my near future. A waterless will not do much if you do not have a first line of protection on the car(wax or seal). The best offense is a great defense.
I would agree, putting a sealant and then topping with a wax will help put a protective barrier between the environment and your paint. Unless your paint has a semi-permanent or permanent coating like CQuartz or Opti-Coat. I would seal and wax quarterly. Yes some products last longer and you can make your choice then but if your car is parked outside you can't expect them to last as long as they may state to last. You can always wash your car and check the beading and sheeting action as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Cornflakes'Camaro

Looks like the root of this problem is in my wax/sealant being worn off. I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so I will wash and re seal my car and then re wax it shortly after.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
ec1990

Quote:
Looks like the root of this problem is in my wax/sealant being worn off. I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so I will wash and re seal my car and then re wax it shortly after.
What sealant? Most recommend a curing time of 12 hours.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Cornflakes'Camaro

I use Griots Garage sealant and wax.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
ec1990

I would give the sealant 12 hours before applying wax. I think Griot's sealant says to dry to a haze before buffing, but after wiping give it the curing time before applying the wax.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Cornflakes'Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I would give the sealant 12 hours before applying wax. I think Griot's sealant says to dry to a haze before buffing, but after wiping give it the curing time before applying the wax.

Yes sir it does. Now I just have to play this game with the weather....we've got 2 or 3 days that has a 40-50% chance of rain. I'd almost rather it just rain so I can have my mind made up for me.