Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
axle-back install

Good Afternoon,

I don't know if I'm just super nervous about doing my first install on anything not purely cosmetic on my car but I just recieved my magnaflow competition series axle-back exhaust for my 2011 SS. I want to do the install tonight. Does anybody have any pointers on how to get this done easy-ish? I'm fairly new to the whole auto-mechanic thing even though I have a buddy helping me.

Like how do you cut the existing pipes off? and is it difficult to re-attach everything?! I will appreciate any words of wisdom that can be provided!

-Oliver
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
c-dub
It's that guy

I have researched and found out that you need something called a sawzall...what kind of blades does it need to have to cut the existing pipes? any super secret brand?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
just look up a bunch of videos on youtube i know theres a bunch for the v6 so there is probably gonna be alot for the v8

basically a sawzall is a saw to cut the old pipes off im not sure exactly what blades you need
just get some strong blades.

anyone correct me if im wrong
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
c-dub
It's that guy

sawzall. hmm sounds like I need to go to the hardware store -_-
Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
better get help

From the sound of the way this is going you better consider having the local muffler shop install this for you.It takes a sawzall with a white metal cutting blade to cut the tubing.Try to borrow one unless you plan on using it again sometime in the future if you decide to go ahead and do it your self.
You can do this I am sure if you go slow,measure twice (just like the old saying), don't rush and plan it out prior to jumping on it.Good luck.It will be a good feeling once you do it your self & will lead to additional projects.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
buzzy is right
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
What u would pay for a sawzall, you could get a muffler shop to do it cheaper! But it is more exciting to say, hey I did this myself!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Some parts houses have a tool loan program and tubing cutters are often available. So if theres an AutoZone near by ask them if they have one.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
foxxone

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
Some parts houses have a tool loan program and tubing cutters are often available. So if theres an AutoZone near by ask them if they have one.
+1. That's what I plan to do. I have a Borla Atak axle back sitting in my garage right now that I am going to tackle it this weekend.
foxxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Pulling the trigger on the saw was the hardest part for me (mentally). After that smooth sailing. Remember to spray some WD-40 on the rubber hangers, orig mufflers come off alot easier.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
Good Afternoon,

I don't know if I'm just super nervous about doing my first install on anything not purely cosmetic on my car but I just recieved my magnaflow competition series axle-back exhaust for my 2011 SS. I want to do the install tonight. Does anybody have any pointers on how to get this done easy-ish? I'm fairly new to the whole auto-mechanic thing even though I have a buddy helping me.

Like how do you cut the existing pipes off? and is it difficult to re-attach everything?! I will appreciate any words of wisdom that can be provided!

-Oliver
There are sawzall blades for different materials, wood, metals, etc. Your exhaust pipes are made of stainless steel...one of the tougher steels to cut. Make you buy the correct blades.

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 02-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
I have researched and found out that you need something called a sawzall...what kind of blades does it need to have to cut the existing pipes? any super secret brand?
I'd use a portable band saw rather than a sawzall to cut the pipes. Much easier and quicker. Though I had mine on a rack when I put my axle back on. Or just take it to the local exhaust shop.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
c-dub
It's that guy

Lol I got ine installed without using the sawzall or any kind of band saw. we had to settle for some midieval looking pipe cutter that looked like a torture device. That only got us so far, so we tried a hack-saw, BAD IDEA there was no leverage, so we ended up using a grinding wheel lol then that was going slow, so we took the system off completely then attacked it again with a variation of all three. finally got them off then we had to fight with the hangers. lol it was a fun night for me and 2 buddies and the car sounds fantastic!! I'll be sure to post pics and a vid soon!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
I don’t own a file, so is it necessary to remove burr from the edges?

Tags
axle-back, diy, magnaflow