Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #43
69Z/28Camaro
Red Big Block Camaro

Drives: 93 C1500, VR Big Block 70 Camaro RS
i almost posted this up myself. the funny thing about the article is that its surrounded my mustang news. the 2011 GT500 on the left and "11 Mustangs in the 10s"
my 1970 Camaro RS. Frame off restoration. 600 HP 454 Naturally Aspirated. GM Performance Heads, Comp Mechanical cam, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 750 Carb. Hooker and Flowmaster exhaust system. Victory Red paint, True Rally Sport.
69Z/28Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #44
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Any sense of what the car will msrp at? Will it be stick only?

Thanks
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #45
JS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The hood look good but to make it functional will be hard.
I do like it better than my mail slot.

The bumper and wheels look nice too.
Still for 45K + I just cant justify the extra power and will stay with my SS

One of the guys that work here just saw a pullied/tuned CTSV go 11.40..
No other mods, the Z/28 should be a serious car
Magnaflow Magnapack Axleback & Resonated X-Pipe/OBX LT Headers/Airaid Cold Air Kit/Injection Connection Tuned
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #46
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
The agressive look of the front bumper from the spy photo with the GT500 looked way better.

IMHO, the functional "Ram Air" should have been available for the SS NOT the Z28. I think they should have stuck with the line up from the 4th gen vs 1st gen where the SS was the top dog.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #47
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
does that article say 556hp and 551lb/ft?

I dont understand... maybe someone can explain it to me... why in gods name would GM, knowing where the bar has been set by their competition (540hp), put out a car that weighs more with essentially the same power (556hp)?

GM, we ALL know we can get 650hp from these engines safely and reliably... why not push the envelope a little and actually stomp on Ford?!?!? give us another 50hp right out of the box... a base price 3k lower than the GT500 would be great, add in a slightly smaller pulley on the supercharger (no additional cost there) and bump the power by another 25 - 50.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #48
cHaotix

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Send a message via AIM to cHaotix Send a message via MSN to cHaotix Send a message via Yahoo to cHaotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
does that article say 556hp and 551lb/ft?

I dont understand... maybe someone can explain it to me... why in gods name would GM, knowing where the bar has been set by their competition (540hp), put out a car that weighs more with essentially the same power (556hp)?

GM, we ALL know we can get 650hp from these engines safely and reliably... why not push the envelope a little and actually stomp on Ford?!?!? give us another 50hp right out of the box... a base price 3k lower than the GT500 would be great, add in a slightly smaller pulley on the supercharger (no additional cost there) and bump the power by another 25 - 50.
Lol.
cHaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #49
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Ehh, . . . I really like the hood on Bumblebee in TF2 movie, . . . .and the nose of Bumblebee in TF3 and or one off the Leno Camaro. Wider fenders, lowered stance, slightly larger spoiler, . . yeah man.
Z28 RAWR!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #50
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
I wish they would make the Z28 more different looking than what all these speculations are. For instance, the Mustang GT and V6 look very similar, just different engines but the Cobra IS different, you can tell a Cobra apart from other mustangs so easily. The SS and LT are very similar too, and this make sense, but the Z28, well IMHO should look more unique.
That's always been my problem with Camaros - they all look the same. Very hard to tell the difference between an RS V6 and an SS. I think all the Mustangs look significantly different. From every angle you can instantly tell what type of Mustang it is from every angle.

From the side of a Camaro - almost impossible to tell unless you're a Camaro expert. For Mustang sides, the GT has a 5.0 badge and the V6 has a pony badge, and the Shelby has an instantly recognizable nose, cobra badge and aggressive dove-tail spoiler.

For Camaro fronts, the only thing you can really tell is the mailslot. For Mustang fronts, the GT has 4 headlights, the V6 has two with a different grille, and the Shelby has an aggressive grille with 2 headlights and 2 bottom foglights.

For Camaro backs, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference because the badges are so tiny. For Mustang backs, the GT has the GT badge and big exhaust, the V6 has the pony badge and small exhaust, and the Shelby has the Cobra badge and larger dove-tail spoiler and large exhaust.

I think the Chevy branding is terrible. All of them have a bow-tie logo that you can find on el-cheapo cobalts and Malibus; there's no special "Camaro" badge and visually the V6 and SS being so similar makes all the cars homogeneous to the casual observer.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #51
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
That's always been my problem with Camaros - they all look the same. Very hard to tell the difference between an RS V6 and an SS. I think all the Mustangs look significantly different. From every angle you can instantly tell what type of Mustang it is from every angle.

From the side of a Camaro - almost impossible to tell unless you're a Camaro expert. For Mustang sides, the GT has a 5.0 badge and the V6 has a pony badge, and the Shelby has an instantly recognizable nose, cobra badge and aggressive dove-tail spoiler.

For Camaro fronts, the only thing you can really tell is the mailslot. For Mustang fronts, the GT has 4 headlights, the V6 has two with a different grille, and the Shelby has an aggressive grille with 2 headlights and 2 bottom foglights.

For Camaro backs, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference because the badges are so tiny. For Mustang backs, the GT has the GT badge and big exhaust, the V6 has the pony badge and small exhaust, and the Shelby has the Cobra badge and larger dove-tail spoiler and large exhaust.

I think the Chevy branding is terrible. All of them have a bow-tie logo that you can find on el-cheapo cobalts and Malibus; there's no special "Camaro" badge and visually the V6 and SS being so similar makes all the cars homogeneous to the casual observer.
Hey - my Malibu has one of those on it... (okay - two). While I'm not feeling as harsh as you, I have to agree, that it would be nice to have a more distinguishing Bow Tie. I'm trying to visualize Corvette, but I can't see one on it... It has the crossflags on the front facia, and Corvette on the rear, but I can't recall seeing any Bow Ties. Hmmpf. Anyhoo - Maybe we can bring back the last generation red-white-and-blue shield in a new fresh design. I think that has the potential to be pretty cool

Good call to you though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #52
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:

who needs badges when you can tell the difference in the tail pipe. . . .lmao.

badges are for people that don't know what a car is or particularly care. so what you're telling me is you want the people that don't know the difference to know the difference with out you having to have a conversation with them? seriously why limit your pick up opportunities? great conversation starts IMO.

btw I've debaged my bike because of the conversation starter it makes the bike. just some food for thought.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #53
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
who needs badges when you can tell the difference in the tail pipe. . . .lmao.

badges are for people that don't know what a car is or particularly care. so what you're telling me is you want the people that don't know the difference to know the difference with out you having to have a conversation with them? seriously why limit your pick up opportunities? great conversation starts IMO.
If you sit there examining pictures or a stationary car, of course you can tell the difference - what really matters is being able to tell when the car is driving and I honestly find it very difficult to tell Camaros when they're on the road, despite being very familiar with all the differences.

Mustangs on the other hand are a cinch to tell the difference on the road.

BMW M3s too. Why should a high performance M3 look like a family mobile? Why should a higher performance SS look the same as the secretary-car V6 version?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #54
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinfan72 View Post
I like the new hood...but Chevy better make that a functional hood scoop...not the "mailslot" on the current SS. Also, Would anyone else like to see Chevy make a stripped down Camaro LS with a V-8?

Yeah I really like the fact they moved the mail slot to the hood, now if they make it functional ram air
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #55
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
If you sit there examining pictures or a stationary car, of course you can tell the difference - what really matters is being able to tell when the car is driving and I honestly find it very difficult to tell Camaros when they're on the road, despite being very familiar with all the differences.

Mustangs on the other hand are a cinch to tell the difference on the road.

BMW M3s too. Why should a high performance M3 look like a family mobile? Why should a higher performance SS look the same as the secretary-car V6 version?
what don't have ears? can't tell tail pipes before you pass? can't see the side buldges from a distance. mail slot? sorry still I don't see how it's difficult to tell.

mustang gt and v-6 are harder to tell from a distance. at least for me with an untrained eye for them. now a gt/v6 mustang to gt500. . .yea I can tell a huge difference. but it still takes a second look.

point being. if you're really into the car you'll know the differences. if you aren't as into it but still like it, good luck in noticing the differences.

point in fact-o, passed a great 2SS with RS package today. noticed it was an SS due to tail pipes/rear badge as I came flying up on it and that it was a 2SS because I could see the leather interior as I flew by. once I reached the front I saw the halos. . .

now that Mercedes I passed. . .that I thought looked good had kompressor and 6.2 on it. . . what was it. . .I don't know. do I care enough to look it up. . .nope. and I'm a car guy.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #56
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
what don't have ears? can't tell tail pipes before you pass? can't see the side buldges from a distance. mail slot? sorry still I don't see how it's difficult to tell.

mustang gt and v-6 are harder to tell from a distance. at least for me with an untrained eye for them. now a gt/v6 mustang to gt500. . .yea I can tell a huge difference. but it still takes a second look.

point being. if you're really into the car you'll know the differences. if you aren't as into it but still like it, good luck in noticing the differences.

point in fact-o, passed a great 2SS with RS package today. noticed it was an SS due to tail pipes/rear badge as I came flying up on it and that it was a 2SS because I could see the leather interior as I flew by. once I reached the front I saw the halos. . .

now that Mercedes I passed. . .that I thought looked good had kompressor and 6.2 on it. . . what was it. . .I don't know. do I care enough to look it up. . .nope. and I'm a car guy.
There's not enough of them (yet) that I pass Camaros from behind. Most of the time I see them from a distance or on the other side of the road. At a glance and at a distance it is impossible to tell the difference between the Camaros. I have no problems with the Mustangs because of the prominent badging on all 4 sides and the 4 headlights on the GT. I have similarly no problem with M3s because of the significantly different grille and the 4 tailpipes and the M3 badge.

Camaros DO look like they went with the budget route by making all the cars look exactly the same with just a tiny little indistinguishable badge on the front and rear being the difference. Yes I know the front fascia is different but it is hard to tell (because they look very similar) and on a black car you can't see the mailslot from a difference. From the side it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between the Camaros. You have to look for that very tiny difference in the side profile of the front fascia and maybe a slightly sticking out tailpipe but if the angle is wrong you can't tell.

Again - obviously one can tell the difference from a picture, where you can take the time to examine the nuances like the Brembo brakes or other subtle differences but when the car is moving at you have a fraction of a second to glance at it, you should be able to tell the differences.

This is not Communism where we have to go around wearing the same drab gray clothing. More powerful versions should look significantly different. The Z/28 is the only Camaro I'd buy because it's the only distinguishable Camaro that looks different from the front, side and rear.