Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Wondering about the color black and detailing. Need Help

I never had a black car due to the upkeep and I have always seen black cars with those spider cracks in the paint. The Camaro I will be getting is my everyday car. How do I keep the paint from the swirl marks and spider cracks? I have heard a lot about Zino. Will this help or will it eventually happen to the black paint? What do I need to do and with what produce. Any help here would be great.
Camaro007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
I never had a black car due to the upkeep and I have always seen black cars with those spider cracks in the paint. The Camaro I will be getting is my everyday car. How do I keep the paint from the swirl marks and spider cracks? I have heard a lot about Zino. Will this help or will it eventually happen to the black paint? What do I need to do and with what produce. Any help here would be great.
That is the down side to a black car, it will be fine for the 1st 4 or 5 years but then you will start to see that stuff. It will depend on your up keep and how you will take car of the car but it will happen eventual. If it will really bother you, think about an other color. I have found from owning many car that the lighter the color the less swirls you will see. That is one of the reasons silver is my fav, you never see any of that.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
Its takes hard work to keep it looking good ,Here is a good video to watch for how to wash a car and not put swirl marks into it.ANYTHING you can do to reduce the chance of putting swhirls in your paint is a good thing.

http://dftowel.com/video.html

And most people on this section knows im a big supporter of Zaino.I've tried tons of waxes and polishes over the years and for ME, its the best ive ever used.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
I would have to agree with ya cyber. I am not a big fan of the light colors. But I did have a white car once and it seemed to be the easiest car of all to keep looking good on the outside.
Hey Nexus I just orderd some Zaino and have it waiting on my Camaro. I was very impressed with the recomendations here and testimonials and pix on their site. Can't wait to try it out.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Seventh Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
I have had 3 black cars over the past 18 years. There is no doubt, when it looks good, it is the best looking color. But man, it is a pain to keep looking good. Now in my mid-40's, I dont want to spend the time taking care of paint like this ever again. This is why I chose SIM. I have a silverstone Impala, very close to the same color, and it is very easy to keep clean. Keeping black awesome is very, very hard, especially for a daily driver. I always used the Mequires packages, using #7 for swirl remover, then #26 wax. When applying the polish or wax, you can apply in a circular motion, but when removing, go in straight lines, never stopping in the middle of a panel, don't try and get all the wax off in 1 or 2 passes, use many very delicate passes, going from start of 1 panel to the end of the panel in straight lines. This will help tremendously with the web effect.
Seventh Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
justmeron

what products do you recomend for interior care?

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
If you are skilled at using power tools, you can learn how to use this combo. It can take some of the worst swirl marked black and return it to a deep, clean finish.

FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Thanks guys for the information. I will be getting the Zino no matter what color I get. My order will be pulled in 4/2 and will need to decide if I still want the CGM I ordered or choose another color if the constraints aren't lifted for CGM. I don't know if I can wait another month for the CGM or longer. The CGM looks good on the Vette, but without the real picture of the camaro in CGM I'm unsure what color to choose.
Camaro007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
justmeron

What about interior and leather care?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
rgrizzard

Drives: Wanting New Camaro
You don't need an orbital buffer for a new car. In fact if you are using Zaino with any regularity you should never need any orbital.
rgrizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Man, idk what seems to be the huge problem. I have an 01 mazda 626, not fancy in any way, that still looks great in its factory black paint job. no cracks, or anything. Just put it through the car wash about twice a month... looks new.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrizzard View Post
You don't need an orbital buffer for a new car. In fact if you are using Zaino with any regularity you should never need any orbital.
QFT

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Man, idk what seems to be the huge problem. I have an 01 mazda 626, not fancy in any way, that still looks great in its factory black paint job. no cracks, or anything. Just put it through the car wash about twice a month... looks new.
yeah but if you sat one next to the same year and same model and same color that used Zaino from the get go,you would notice the difference.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

mind.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
The key to keeping a car from getting swirl marks............DON"T OVER WASH IT!!!! If the car is garaged and is not an everyday car, this is a possibility. If it is an everyday car that is not a reality. I have my Sky Redline for just over 2 years, It is garage kept and covered. I have 11,000 Miles and it has been washed only 6 times!! I generally clean off dust with a super soft Microfibre and a good detail spray. It has only seen rain twice and NEVER seen salt.

I love when people say "I wash my car once a week, it should look great" Not true. More Rubbing, more microscopic scratches....period!

Things that people do not realize that effect their finish:

- Being left out in the Sun (Especially Black) Breaks down the clearcoat over time
- Over Washing
- Using a crappy Microfibre cloth (If it grabs your skin, it is NO GOOD FOR YOUR CAR)
- Not properly rinsing the car before you drop a soapy towel or mit on it!
- Do you have hard water coming out of your spigot??? Lots of minerals does a job on the paint
- Car washes recycle the water ---WORST THING EVER
- Not using proper Product. You DO NOT want a product with polish in it to use EVERY TIME you do your car! Polishes should only be done a couple times a year
- Old Paste wax crystalizes and can cause micro scratches, Buy new every year, or stay with liquid.

I personally use Adam's Products. You cannot beat their cloths for scratch prevention. The VRT works amazing on interior plastics!

If you are anal stay away from black or ANY dark color for that matter.
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote