Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #71
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
My intake arrived yesterday and the plan is to install it this weekend.

I'm going over the instructions and in step 8 it says to "Remove the breather fitting from the stock intake. First use side cuts to remove the clamp retaining the breather assembly to the stock rubber inlet."

Can someone explain what exactly are these side cuts? There's no mention of a cutting tool in Tools/Items needed section so I'm just a bit confused as to what this means.

Last edited by hawk02; 06-22-2013 at 12:08 AM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #72
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
My intake arrived yesterday and the plan is to install it this weekend.

I'm going over the instructions and in step 8 it says to "Remove the breather fitting from the stock intake. First use side cuts to remove the clamp retaining the breather assembly to the stock rubber inlet."

Can someone explain what exactly are these side cuts? There's no mention of a cutting tool in Tools/Items needed section so I'm just a bit confused as to what this means.
It's just a pair of wire cutters. Mine weren't able to cut the clamp, so I used a small screwdriver. I put it in where the clamp is squeezed and worked it back and forth until the clamp was loose. Just be careful if you do it this way not to be too aggressive as to put a hole in the factory intake or break the valve. Definitely use the soap they recommend for the valve removal. Good luck installation was a snap.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #73
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
It's just a pair of wire cutters. Mine weren't able to cut the clamp, so I used a small screwdriver. I put it in where the clamp is squeezed and worked it back and forth until the clamp was loose. Just be careful if you do it this way not to be too aggressive as to put a hole in the factory intake or break the valve. Definitely use the soap they recommend for the valve removal. Good luck installation was a snap.
Thanks for the info. I thought cutting the clamp off is what the instructions are asking you to do, but when there was no mention of a cutting tool in the tools/items needed list I started to have some second thoughts.

So my next question is how easy is it to find a replacement clamp should you ever decide to return to the factory air box?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #74
2Z's4me

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I thought cutting the clamp off is what the instructions are asking you to do, but when there was no mention of a cutting tool in the tools/items needed list I started to have some second thoughts.

So my next question is how easy is it to find a replacement clamp should you ever decide to return to the factory air box?
Good question. That clamp looks like a GM design installed with special tooling. More than likely a worm clamp properly sized and tightened should work fine. That is my plan if I need to return to the OEM air box.
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #75
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z's4me View Post
Good question. That clamp looks like a GM design installed with special tooling. More than likely a worm clamp properly sized and tightened should work fine. That is my plan if I need to return to the OEM air box.
You're probably right about a worm clamp being the best option as a replacement. Although as snug as the connection between the breather element and factory elbow is, a clamp may not even be necessary.

I ended up using a pair of tin snips to cut the "hump" in the clamp on the underside of connection. I think it's a rather big omission on the part of Roto-Fab not to mention the need for a cutting tool. Even the video glosses over the clamp removal. The instructions and video provide good detail for every step of the install except this one.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #76
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Some parts stores actually carry the clamps. You are supposed to use a special tool to squeeze the clamp shut, it pushes down on the center while you squeeze the sides. If I put the original back on I'll just use a hose clamp that can be bought anywhere. It does the same thing it's just not as fancy looking and is removable. A lot of CV boots use those style clamps so people don't mess with them.
Glad to see that everything else went well.

Do you have a dual valve catch can, and if so how did you hook it up to the "T" valve with the hose sizes being different? I'm trying to find a nice plain and clean way to do it.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #77
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Some parts stores actually carry the clamps. You are supposed to use a special tool to squeeze the clamp shut, it pushes down on the center while you squeeze the sides. If I put the original back on I'll just use a hose clamp that can be bought anywhere. It does the same thing it's just not as fancy looking and is removable. A lot of CV boots use those style clamps so people don't mess with them.
Glad to see that everything else went well.

Do you have a dual valve catch can, and if so how did you hook it up to the "T" valve with the hose sizes being different? I'm trying to find a nice plain and clean way to do it.
The biggest issue I had with the install was getting the breather canister positioned away from the pulley. I spent a good hour farting around with the elbow and 90 degree fitting making sure the canister was well away from the pulley. There's a little tilt to the canister but it doesn't appear any more excessive than what I saw in photos of some other installs. The rest of the installation didn't give me any problems.

I have an Elite catch can I transferred from previous Camaro so I didn't need to use the "T" valve.

The weather was so hot and humid this afternoon after I finished the install that I decided to wait until this evening when the temps were a little cooler to take a test drive. Unfortunately a band of thunderstorms came through around 7P and killed that idea. Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative in the morning.

Last edited by hawk02; 06-23-2013 at 09:13 AM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #78
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

The weather did cooperate this morning. Temps were in the upper 60's around 8am. Car does feel like is has a little more pull. And I love the sound of the supercharger under acceleration. I thought is was going to be a high pitched whirl but it's more like a whoosh sound. Very nice.

Here's a photo of my engine compartment with the Roto-fab intake. Photos from my iPhone in direct sunlight make it look like my car IOM but I swear it's victory red.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #79
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
The weather did cooperate this morning. Temps were in the upper 60's around 8am. Car does feel like is has a little more pull. And I love the sound of the supercharger under acceleration. I thought is was going to be a high pitched whirl but it's more like a whoosh sound. Very nice.
At WOT above 4k rpm, it's defiantly a high pitched sound like a whistle.
Very easy to hear with the top down, and I LOVE IT.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #80
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
awesome MOD its a MUST!!!!BTW my W/W is toching my filter dunno why! may be it will scub and damage the filter

Last edited by 580/556 ZL1; 08-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.
580/556 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #81
ricky_ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Damn. I threw my "t" away!
ricky_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #82
LordAndroid

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My first mod installed it this past weekend. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1402004309607.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  107.7 KB[/ATTACH]

Sent from my Awesome S4
Attached Images

LordAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #83
Gizmo

Drives: ZL1
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake Installation Video

I'm in the middle of installing mine right now (purchased from Tyler@JDP) and have run into a little snag. I'll attach a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about but basically the loom that you're supposed to move inboard of the A/C service port actually runs under/through the A/C line and is causing fitment issues with the box. I can't get the stud/grommet to engage because this is making it a really tight fit. Anyone else see this? This loom runs to the MAF sensor, throttle body and one more place.

Unfortunately, I've scraped up the shock tower trying to wiggle this damn thing into place before I noticed what was going on.

Edit: I ran the hose or loom or whatever it is on top of the radiator bracket and got the box in. It's a right fit.

Final question: how much clearance should there be between the air canister and the belt?

2014 BRM ZL1 #229
Rotofab, VMax, Moroso, MGW
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #84
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I'm in the middle of installing mine right now (purchased from Tyler@JDP) and have run into a little snag. I'll attach a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about but basically the loom that you're supposed to move inboard of the A/C service port actually runs under/through the A/C line and is causing fitment issues with the box. I can't get the stud/grommet to engage because this is making it a really tight fit. Anyone else see this? This loom runs to the MAF sensor, throttle body and one more place.

Unfortunately, I've scraped up the shock tower trying to wiggle this damn thing into place before I noticed what was going on.

Edit: I ran the hose or loom or whatever it is on top of the radiator bracket and got the box in. It's a right fit.

Final question: how much clearance should there be between the air canister and the belt?

Glad you got it figured out. As for the breather canister; clearance is close, but you can gain a little more room by rotating the fitting a little bit so it sits at a slight angle.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote