Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
OnStar Cost - couple questions

Is it really worth it?

Would it be unreasonable to ask my salesman to throw in a 3-4 year subscription at no cost to almost no cost to me?

I imagine they have the ability to get it much cheaper- maybe I'm wrong...

Any feedback?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
It's worth a try....I do know from experience that onstar is willing to "deal", add some time and/or reduce pricing to keep a customer from cancelling.
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
I think its worth it peace of mind comes very in handy at times

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
It's worth a try....I do know from experience that onstar is willing to "deal", add some time and/or reduce pricing to keep a customer from cancelling.
Can't wait for them to do that with me when my time comes

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
Yea, probably like the satellite radio... they always lower the price to try and keep you on after the free trial.

I just don't know if it will come in handy enough. I'm thinking it's more of a nice thing to have than a necessity. And 18 bucks a month to unlock or lock my car from a distance probably isn't worth it, unless my OCD gets worse.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Your salesman doesn't have any say for Onstar so trying to get them to throw in 3-4 years for free or close to it wont happen.

The only deal Onstar offers to those that have canceled is $50 off the cost of a one year subscription. This makes it either $150 or $250 depending on which plan you buy.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Matt View Post
Yea, probably like the satellite radio... they always lower the price to try and keep you on after the free trial.

I just don't know if it will come in handy enough. I'm thinking it's more of a nice thing to have than a necessity. And 18 bucks a month to unlock or lock my car from a distance probably isn't worth it, unless my OCD gets worse.
It gives me piece of mind that if it's stolen they can locate it for the police and if it's in motion they can stop it by turning it off. The turn by turn direction I don't have because I don't think it's worth it.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I stioll have OnStar, but only the "SAFE AND SUCURE" part.....that is the Piece of Mind part I will always keep.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
I use the onstar phone regularly. It is much easier and safer than using my cell in the car - and in NY it is now illegal to use hand-held electronics anyway. I also have the navigation, which comes in really handy and I don't need a GPS sucktion cupped (note to spelling police: spelled that way on purpose) to the windshield. I can now download locations from my iphone app to the car in advance, and it will activate the directions the next time I start up. I also like all the other features of the onstar app - like the fuel level, mileage, and tire pressure info. Of course the accident response stuff is good to have too. It isn't cheap, neither is the car - but both are cool to have.
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
I use the onstar phone regularly. It is much easier and safer than using my cell in the car - and in NY it is now illegal to use hand-held electronics anyway. I also have the navigation, which comes in really handy and I don't need a GPS sucktion cupped (note to spelling police: spelled that way on purpose) to the windshield. I can now download locations from my iphone app to the car in advance, and it will activate the directions the next time I start up. I also like all the other features of the onstar app - like the fuel level, mileage, and tire pressure info. Of course the accident response stuff is good to have too. It isn't cheap, neither is the car - but both are cool to have.
These are the best reasons to keep onstar. You just have to weigh the cost vs the benefit and see if you think it's worth keeping.