Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125626

There appear to be many drivers in this thread that don't seem to have a problem driving a Camaro in snow...

Not sure who is right.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #44
Expand-A-Sign USA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
With 20" Bridgestone Blizzaks my Camaro gets plenty of traction in snow, ice and rain conditions - best investment I made. I do try to avoid driving in wintry conditions given all the lunatic SUVs and 4x4s out there who think they're invincible yet wind-up in ditches and side-swipe the sane.
Expand-A-Sign USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
You're not supposed to be driving the Camaro in the snow PERIOD.
Buy me a second car and a place to park it!

I live in a co-op, I have ONE garage, thats where my Camaro goes and street parking is near impossible.

Its just a car, not the Hope Diamond.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #46
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
ive been drivin Manuals for years now.. 2 Ford Probes, an 06 Cobalt SS/NA and an 08 Cobalt SS/TC.. im very good at compensating and preventing my spin outs... maybe i jus play BURNOUT on Xbox too much lol but anyways... i was on LEVEL GROUND and decided hmmm empty circle street + light snow = perfect opportunity to do donuts... NEGATVE.... i got stuck twice on level ground.. tires jus spun... i had to GET OUT OF THE CAR while it was IN GEAR and rock it till it got traction then hurr and hop back in and NOT lose my momentum... very funny learning experience
SteveRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #47
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
What tires are you running? I am wanting to get some but I want all season rather than just snow tires...........just curious , thanks
I use Continental Extreme DWS (DWS means Dry, Wet, Snow...they make a DW tire as well). Expensive set of tires, but they have been well worth it. I'll put the Pirelli's back on in April...

To all the people saying don't drive it...and to those reading those posts...DON'T LISTEN TO THEM....they have no idea what they are talking about. Seriously. It's all about the right tires and HOW you drive in the snow that makes the difference. Unless the conditions call for chains...I won't have a problem driving my SS.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #48
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Even with the summer tires my Camaro has given me absolutely NO 0 nada zipola problems in the snow.
Oh wait... that's because it's PARKED for the winter and I'm driving my 4x4...
</snide>

Before you wreck it - for the love of all things Camaro, go buy yourself a beat up old subaru for the worst days and drive your Camaro when it's not snowy and icy. For the price of decent studded snow tires you could have a beater to take the abuse. Note: the best time to buy a beat up old subaru is in the summer when no one wants to look at the damn ugly thing anymore. They resemble gold in rarity and price this time of year

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #49
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
I have no problems driving my 2LT/RS in the snow with the 20 inch factory Pirellis. Of course I learned to drive when there were NO front wheel cars around, so maybe that is the difference. I drove to work today in the snow and never had one single problem.
It has a lot to do with knowing how to drive in it.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #50
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Now obviously I dont expect it to be great but at least get you around in low snow.

We only have about 3 inches on the roads and my 6 couldnt make it to school at all.

I had to stop on a slight incline and immediately got stuck, couldnt get her going at all and I had to turn around.

Im using stock 1lt rims with stock tires with perfect tread for winter.

shes fine from a roll but any stops at all on any inclines and youre screwed.

im making this thread because ive seen many people say the 6 is great in snow with the stock non pirelli tires.

FALSE! do not take it out unless you have to! you can make it around but any inclines at all will completely kill you.

disclaimer, this is my first manual car so im open to the possibility that maybe im not used to a 6 speed in snow yet. when i got stuck i tried moving the car with just the clutch trying to use as little power as possible and i still got wheel spin.

Please see my thread in the Wheels & Tires section about the Camaro and snow. I go into great detail about this while others argue with me about it:-) Uhhhggggg.....
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #51
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
You will get it, it just takes some practice, along with the correct tires (like everyong else said) and maybe some additional weight.

My sister is on her 2nd winter with her V6 in Green Bay WI. She drives it through the upper penninsula of Michigan to our parents house every other weekend in the winter.

There has only been 3 days in two winters she did not drive... see below,

she drove the next day though!
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #52
double d

Drives: Black 2LT RS
This is the second winter of my wife using the 2lt rs as a daily driver outside Philly. We've been gettin plenty of snow here (another 12 inches today). Drove it all last winter, no problems, but she has gotten stuck twice already this winter. Finally gave up,
picked up a 2001 Cherokee last night and the Camaro will stay in the garage. Damn, for the extra $7,000 we just spent, could have bought the SS with the gfx package!
3800 = Produced, 7/22 VIN #2G1FC1EV4A9127541
4200 = Shipped 07/27/2009
5000 = Delivered to Dealer 08/07/2009
6000 = Delivered To Customer 08/08/2009
double d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #53
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Correct...having the proper tires makes all the difference. Get studded if it is legal in your State. If not get some Blizzaks or Scorpians and keep them mounted on a spare set of rims. Driving on stock rubber is a death sentence. If you do that invest in a cheap FWD winter beater. I had one years ago for $750 that got me around.
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #54
RonBennett

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
WTF are you doing driving a Camaro in the snow.
RonBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #55
RonBennett

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Camaro != Ferrari

I love my Camaro, and treat it well, but c'mon folks...it isn't a 100k car...
I agree, but it is not a snow mobile either. I treat my 2SS/RS very well too, but I am not a snob when it comes to it either.
RonBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #56
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Camaro != Ferrari

I love my Camaro, and treat it well, but c'mon folks...it isn't a 100k car...

Mine sees the snow and the salt regularly. I've taken it on the beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Had it out in 100°F + temperatures in direct sun light. Drive it in rain, mud, sleet, high wind, etc. It gets dirty, dusty, salty, it gets dings, dents, chips, etc. I've had the paint fixed. I've had the stripes replaced...

It's a car. It can be repaired most of the time. Now, I don't like people just being neglectful with my car by opening doors in to walls, leaning up against, etc... But, sheesh people.. It's just a Camaro.. In the grand scheme of things, it's not up in the almighty realm of 6 and 7 figure super cars.

I drove mine through quite the little snow storm a few weeks back in the burbs. Yes, it sucked and I was sliding here and there.. But, I know how to drive my car, I understand how to stop/start in a manual in the snow.. It's honestly not that much different than driving it on a beach. You can't be stupid with it. You can't hot dog it and you do have to give yourself room between cars. I'm still running on the stock SS/RS 20" wheels and tires on all four corners.

I didn't buy a car to sit in the garage and be a little priss..
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote