Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Dropping sound after engine shuts off

I have a V6 1LT and while the car is at idle I hear a constant clicking sound. Some threads on here state it is the fuel pump or something like that. I'm wanting to know if any of you hear a dropping sound right after you shut your engine off. It almost sounds like marble being dropped on the engine block. Very strange. It seems to drop and kind of bounce, then you don't hear it again until I crank her back up and shut it off once again.

any ideas?

J.T.
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Wow. Just wow.
First people questioning surface rust on the exhaust manifolds.....

Sorry didnt want to come off sounding mean but some of the questions around here just stun me.

The sound you are hearing is what every car does when its turned off. Due to the excessive heat of running your car metal involved with the engine expands, the sound is the metal cooling down and shrinking. Most likely a heatshield or your cats.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Welcome to the site CamaroKid300!

Yup, just normal sounds...
I'd question my brand new car rusting too! Even if something is "normal" to some people, there are others who are experiencing things for their first time...

Any pictures of your new Ride?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Wow. Just wow.
First people questioning surface rust on the exhaust manifolds.....

Sorry didnt want to come off sounding mean but some of the questions around here just stun me.

The sound you are hearing is what every car does when its turned off. Due to the excessive heat of running your car metal involved with the engine expands, the sound is the metal cooling down and shrinking. Most likely a heatshield or your cats.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.. I hear it too... I know what cooling metal sounds like it... this is not what this is! it's like someone dropping a marble in a plastic box... happens about 5 to 10 seconds after turning the car off... Sounds kind of like a relay...

Last edited by scrming; 04-06-2010 at 07:01 PM.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Sorry, but for all you are incorrect.. I hear it too... I know what cooling metal sounds like it... this is not what this is! it's like someone dropping a marble in a plastic box... happens about 5 to 10 seconds after turning the car off... Sounds kind of like a relay...

^ indeed!

I don't mind if the noises I am hearing are normal... but when I have never had a nice car like this I want to be sure everything is running as close to perfect as possible!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Any pictures of your new Ride?

I LOVE THIS THING!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
Yeah, I hear it always too.. it sounds like something is being held up by a vacuum and then drops after the car shuts down.. like a ping pong ball more then a hard marble sound to me..

Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Normal for the V-6. The direct injection pump is louder than hell, that's the ticking noise you hear while it's running. You should hear a four banger with direct injection like in a Terrain, you'd swear it has a spun rod bearing.

The several noises you hear after shut off are also a couple of the electronic gizmos up under the hood going through there shut down gyrations. First time I drove a V6 a friend of mine owns, we shut it off after opening the hood and heard all those clicks. I think it's the squirrels locking down their wheels.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Sorry, but you are incorrect.. I hear it too... I know what cooling metal sounds like it... this is not what this is! it's like someone dropping a marble in a plastic box... happens about 5 to 10 seconds after turning the car off... Sounds kind of like a relay...
Ever notice that this sounds goes off, when the headlights, dome light, and ambient light shuts off?

I hear it too, but figure it is just part of the electronics for the car.

By the way, it will make that noise too when you open the door and the lights go on.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
could it be your HVAC vents cycling to a neutral position? Just wondering, because every time I start mine I have noticed the vents seem not to be in the position I left them in...they have to reset themselves.. but then I have never heard any sounds after I shut the car off.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Normal for the V-6. The direct injection pump is louder than hell, that's the ticking noise you hear while it's running. You should hear a four banger with direct injection like in a Terrain, you'd swear it has a spun rod bearing.

The several noises you hear after shut off are also a couple of the electronic gizmos up under the hood going through there shut down gyrations. First time I drove a V6 a friend of mine owns, we shut it off after opening the hood and heard all those clicks. I think it's the squirrels locking down their wheels.

Well that makes me feel better! It is amazing how much electronic stuff goes into cars these days. The most advanced part of my grandmothers 91' toyota celica (sp?) seems to be the lights on the radio display or the automatic radio antenna that goes up and down!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Sit in mine long enough after shutting down it makes all kind of noises. Little thump like noises, relays humming...Normal.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Very well could be a relay. All my other cars have really loud ones so I dont really notice the one in the camaro.

Like the hid klunk lol.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
recontango

Drives: 2018 ZR1
I have the same sound, it isn't electrical, it is mechanical. At least several of us hear it, has anyone asked a dealer?
recontango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clicking, dropping, noises