Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I still don't like the tail lights....but I'd take a camaro over a mustang ANY DAY
I'd take a bicycle with a flat tire over a Mustang any day.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The simple fact hat someone had to write about this specific issue means to me that somebody has heard the lights are not being well received for many....

and I certainly would expect a Detriot reporter to be a "friend of the family" - I can see a scene right out of the Godfather - where Sonny says " We got still somebody on the paper don't we? Have him write about it"

J/K.... Scott...
I don't agree.

Since Harley Earl started 'styling' cars - we've had people who did not like the 'new' car or truck.

Based on that - we as an industry should sell about 100,000 cars and trucks this year......which of course is ridiculous.....

The difference is that the internet gives you instantaneous feedback - and for us old codgers, we simply shake our heads as people 'Demand' that people be fired because someone doesn't like what they see. (...it matters not that others like what they see.......)

We also shake our heads because Mr. Phelan is correct - 99 percent of the time, the 'panic du jour' is over within 6 months - and while some love to beat the horse about the taillamps, I can give you concrete examples of how some said we'd never sell the 5th gen Camaro - either because it was 'hideous' -- 'the SS Fascia' - "the location of the back-up lamps" - the 'horrible steering wheel version 2010' - or the 'horrible steering wheel version 2012" or the 'B-pillar' --

..........and then there was the I/P...............

.......................we'll never get some to love the tail lamps - but while some said that the C7 would never sell - well - go look at the waiting list.

I posted this NOT to get the pot stirred - but that people could see the humor in all of this..............
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
so noted....that's what forums are all about...interesting discussions...

The taillight issue is a polarizing one, one that will fester or die depending on the public long term, not the Camro5 crowd. Personally I think it's fun to discuss here, but I don't think it will affect unit sales velocities....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Great article, thanks for sharing Scott.

I think eventually everyone will come around on the taillights. My knee jerk reaction changed the moment I saw high-quality pictures, and now that I've seen the 2014 Camaros numerous times in person I absolutely love the way they look. The taillights are pure Camaro heritage.

Even diehard owners of the 93-97 Camaro poke fun at the "catfish" 1998-2002 model years and I have a feeling it will be the same for the 2010-2013 owners poking at the 2014+ years.

At the end of the day though, the most important thing for all of us is that the Camaro stays in production, and I'm a supporter of what ever vehicle GM churns out with the "Camaro" nameplate on it. Some of the folks on here may not like the 2014+ Camaro, but we need to quit the constant bashing of the taillights or the re-design or else we may not see a 6th gen Camaro at all.

PS - I do not, however, think I'll ever get over my reaction for the new Cherokee. :yuck: I've seen them in person and their front bumper even more confusing in person (IE: "Are those headlights or fog lights? Are those running lights? Where's the turn signal? Where's the hood and where's the grille?").

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I saw plenty of 2014 Camaro's next to plenty of the 2010-13 models at the Fest in Indy. I still honestly prefer the 2010-13 tail lights. I'm entitled to my own opinion.
I also saw the 2014 Vette there and everything about that car, including the tail lights, was stunning, perhaps the most gorgeously styled car I've ever seen in person, no matter the price.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I saw plenty of 2014 Camaro's next to plenty of the 2010-13 models at the Fest in Indy. I still honestly prefer the 2010-13 tail lights. I'm entitled to my own opinion.
I also saw the 2014 Vette there and everything about that car, including the tail lights, was stunning, perhaps the most gorgeously styled car I've ever seen in person, no matter the price.
+1
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
X2

I actually like the Vette tails.
Still looks Corvette from the rear.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Seems that the new Stingray took the 2010-13 Camaro taillights. Wonder if they are the actual spec'd lights? In either case, seems Chevy/GM didn't want both the Camaro and Stingray to have the same taillights, and the vette won.

I like the 2014 Camaros.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
The performance is pretty close across brands when comparing the same engine type. I chose the Camaro based on LOOKS.

So basically this guy is saying just accept the newest model and shut up right? We don't know what looks good and you just have to trust that it will grow on you?

Having said that I LOVE the new Stringray. I will not comment on the '14 Camaro.

This guy is obviously looking at it from the manufacturers point of view, but how about the consumers pov?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
That article...

Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #25

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I see part of the "problem" over styling changes is actually the fault of the manufacturer's themselves....That is, take our Gen5 Camaros for example....It's sort of a two-edged sword when the same style is produced and marketed for four years or so with basically no change....

Instead of that system being criticized for encouraging sales by the car companies for pumping out the same look year after year, the consumer is lead to believe that year after year the same style is the best thing they can come up with....and when it does change, or even "re-freshed" the question becomes "Why?"...It was just fine for four years...blah, blah, blah...

Just sayin', if the car-makers feel the dis-like for a change in a certain model, then don't leave it the same for multiple years in the first place...Go back to significant changes EVERY year for all models, and you won't have the embedded resistance to a change that is made after the car has been basically the same, and extremely popular, for four to five years in a row...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
PS I love the vette tail lights and everything about that car. It's a work of art!
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The simple fact hat someone had to write about this specific issue means to me that somebody has heard the lights are not being well received for many....

and I certainly would expect a Detriot reporter to be a "friend of the family" - I can see a scene right out of the Godfather - where Sonny says " We got still somebody on the paper don't we? Have him write about it"

J/K.... Scott...
And this Phelan guy..... You know what they say about opinions.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
While I'm no fan of the new 2014 tail lights. Its not near as bad as the Dodge Charger (That is a true abomination). And the Z51...Love everything about it!