Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Launch Control, No-lift, New Zeta II platform, Stability Control, Traction Control

Seriously, what do all these things do. I've been driving a Nissan Frontier 4x4 for the last 6 years, so I don't know what they do.
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Launch control - when engaged allows you to perform smoother launches. Basically you turn it on, mash the gas to the floor and it will control the throttle so that you get a decent launch. Many people feel that a good driver can outperform this automated method.

No-lift shift - shifting without releasing the gas. Allows for quicker shifting. I don't think the Camaro has this one.

New Zeta II platform - a bit of an adulteration as it's really still the Zeta platform with some enhancements versus a full new platform. This is the underlying chassis and suspension system of the Camaro. It was originally developed in Australia by GM's Holden division and has been used in the G8 here. It's been recognized as a very good platform however due to economic circumstances will probably end with the Camaro.

traction control - the car electronically manages the power to the wheels to keep them from spinning.

stability control - basicalyl traction control but for keeping the car from going sideways when turning. you can disable this and traction control in the camaro for times when you do want the tires to spin
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
kalel

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I am probably not the guy to answer these questions, but I will give you some links to fill in the gaps.

Launch Control http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_control_(automotive)

No-lift Shift You can keep your foot on the throttle the whole time you shift and it keeps the RPM's in the right range for the next gear.

Zeta II - platform the camaro is built on. Minor changes to the zeta platform (by Holden) and that is used in the G8 and some Vauxhall cars in Europe.

Traction Control http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system

Stability Control http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_control

All of these are cool, but I haven't seen anywhere that says we get them all. Particularly the no-lift (used on the Cobalt SS).
kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
kalel

You beat me to it.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Cool. Thanx! But what does "launch" mean? Take off from zero...stop light?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post
Typically drag strip but yea.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
WAY2FAST

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post

You Didn't hear?... the old Camaro could turn into a robot but the 2010 production model has a special feature that when applied you can actually lift off from the earth's atmosphere and take it to the moon or any of the closest planets. A more fuel efficient model has been required by CAFE for 2012 that is supposed to travel to the sun and back on one tank of fuel!
WAY2FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY2FAST View Post
You Didn't hear?... the old Camaro could turn into a robot but the 2010 production model has a special feature that when applied you can actually lift off from the earth's atmosphere and take it to the moon or any of the closest planets. A more fuel efficient model has been required by CAFE for 2012 that is supposed to travel to the sun and back on one tank of fuel!
Idjjit
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Launch control is for people who can't drive, any real American rev those RPM's and DUMP THAT CLUTCH

and with that POS T6060 it might be a epic fail button lol............that's gonna come back to bite me

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Launch control is your electric throttle body and traction control working together to prevent the drive wheels slipping.

If you know what your doing you can do clutch less shifting, but no lift shift takes out the part of you knowing how to do it.

Traction control is like ABS on ice when stopping, but reversed. Stability control stops wheel slipping on turns. Basically both will prevent a wheel from moving significantly faster than the others using the ABS module. When one wheel is turning faster than the others ABS will slow it down to the correct speed. You probably can't do a donut when these are features are on.

ABS(anti-lock brakes) prevent wheel lockup by rapidly pumping the brakes faster than humanly possible, it also will massage your foot.

added that in case you didn't know what ABS was.

When I get mine I'll see if I can do a donut with these on. Then I'll do it with them off. Just need to find a good isolated parking lot.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
No-lift shift - shifting without releasing the gas. Allows for quicker shifting. I don't think the Camaro has this one.

I do believe the SS manual will have no-lift shift, but not LS/LTs. Just keep the pedal to the floor and punch the clutch when you want to shift. It keeps the engine RPMs steady at the point you hit the clutch, so you don't redline it in that instant with the gas pedal all the way down.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
kalel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I do believe the SS manual will have no-lift shift, but not LS/LTs. Just keep the pedal to the floor and punch the clutch when you want to shift. It keeps the engine RPMs steady at the point you hit the clutch, so you don't redline it in that instant with the gas pedal all the way down.
That's interesting. Have you seen this written somewhere? I have searched around and can't find comfirmation on it.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
that's the way it works on the Cobalt SS, but i've heard it ain't offered on the Camaro yet
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Besides what has been said, launch control holds the promise of predictable launches from a dead stop.

This theoretically negates the variables of throttle and clutch timing when launching to prevent overpowering the rear axle when launching, or otherwise making minor mistakes when letting the clutch "bite" as you raise the revs on the engine.

Those that are veterans of driving a manual transmission in drag racing conditions state it is a hinderence. Those that are inexperienced with manual launches of a powerful V8 might benefit from this assistance, until they grow beyond its predictability.

One can interpolate from there.