Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Question Subwoofer+Accessories help/recommendations?

Interested in adding my first subwoofer. Really going all out on the Camaro because I plan to keep it longer than my old Mustang of just a year haha.

I think I'm sold on Sub Thump's unless you guys sway me to some other alternative.

Sub Thump has two different kinds: a rear facing and front facing one. Assuming the rear facing one you can keep the backseat up and the front facing one you leave the backseat down? Considering it takes up the same amount of room I'd probably go with the rear facing one so that I can put a couple things in the back still or at least have it look more presentable, u less of course the sound is that much better I'm not sure yet.. Oh, and there's an option of 10 or 12 inch; is there really THAT MUCH of a noticeable difference or is it hardly noticeable? With it rear facing I can't see it being that noticeable.

So aside from figure that first step out if I go with them, next I'm not sure what it even comes with. Is it going to come with all the necessary items for installation? Assuming it doesn't come with the amp and I'd probably need one.. Any recommendations? And how would I even install the amp? How do you even go about installing and wiring everything before the amp?

After adding the subwoofer should I maybe even change out any stock speakers? If so how would I do that?

Sure someone's gonna say to google this or bring it in to a shop, but I rather save the money by doing it myself and want to hear how you guys went about doing this to your personal Camaro's. And yes I've searched the forums and haven't found as much as I thought/needed.

Thanks!!
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
DForesz

Drives: Camaro SS, G35 6MT, Cherokee Sport
I don't think you would notice a huge difference between the forward and rear facing versions. I have had subs before and there is very little difference with the seats up or down. From what I can tell all they sell is the box ithat self. The speaker, amplifier and wiring is all going to be up to you. I can give you credit for wanting to install everything yourself but if your quite unsure of things I would pay to at least get the wiring put in. It's going to require lots of trim and carpet removal.
DForesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
NY Andrew

That's good to know. I'd opt for the rear facing then. Trim and carpet removal?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
I would recommend searching the Internet for forums more devoted to car audio. This sub-forum has very little traffic.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
NY Andrew

Yea I will just wanted to hear the Camaro'ers input first the way they tailored it to their cars. Was worth a shot.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Here is a thread to look at on here. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452618

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I spoke w/Steve over at ********. He, personally, recommended the rear firing box. I have mine all installed, with an LC2i awaiting install to complete the system. The preamplified signal from the 2SS audio system is just too much for my amp. The amp kills power above 1/4 MAX volume. Ive just been lazy and its been hot as hell down here.
Regardless, go rear fire.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
For cars with a trunk, rear facing sub, rear facing port is the loudest configuration. The absolute best way is to have the box about 6 inches from the trunk lid, because that minimizes cancellation as the sound waves reflect off of the back of the trunk and into the cabin of the car.

Most people don't do this because then it means that your trunk space is behind the sub enclosure, and it results in really bad trunk rattling.

For someone like me, I can't stand trunk rattle, and I don't like that a lot of the sound gets trapped in the trunk, so I like the idea of removing the rear shelf speakers (if you have them) and building a bandpass box that ports through the speaker cut outs in the rear shelf. It puts all the sound in the cabin and you will have no trunk rattle.

The downside is that you have to have someone that really knows how to build these, or it will sound like garbage.

If you want to do it all yourself (which I recommend - its great experience and a fun way to spend a weekend), you can go on a car audio forum and have someone draw enclosure plans for you, which will typically list how much wood you need and a cut sheet showing the dimensions for each piece. You can usually get plans for $15 - 20, which is a win-win, because you are learning to do it yourself, but it was designed by someone that knows what they are doing. Or you could have someone build and ship you an enclosure, then you can do the installation yourself, which is the route I typically take.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
NY Andrew

Thanks Hyper, I came across that when I searched the threads.

That's good to know Lesser, that he recommends the rear facing; I'd def opt for that now. I'll contact him when I get sooner to making the purchase to see what amp/accessories he recommends.

That's a good suggestion Mt. I've got the fully loaded sound system, not sure if it has rear speakers. Trying to refrain from any customizations to the car that would later affect resale. Seen some people go your route, but I think I'll start with the sub in the trunk see how the whole process goes and then possibly look into doing what you mentioned. You said the best is to have it 6 inches from the trunk lid..do you mean like where it opens up not all the way in the back of the trunk? Never seen that before.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2y7dqgB...oofer-box.html

I posted a couple links for you since it seems like you have an interest in learning about this topic. The conclusion found in both cases was that for a passenger car with a normal trunk, rear facing sub and port was the loudest. The first link takes it a bit further and discusses cancellation, which found that the closer you move the enclosure to the trunk opening, the more in phase the sound waves are, which reduces cancellation and increases the output of the sub.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #11
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Interested in adding my first subwoofer. Really going all out on the Camaro because I plan to keep it longer than my old Mustang of just a year haha.

I think I'm sold on Sub Thump's unless you guys sway me to some other alternative.

Sub Thump has two different kinds: a rear facing and front facing one. Assuming the rear facing one you can keep the backseat up and the front facing one you leave the backseat down? Considering it takes up the same amount of room I'd probably go with the rear facing one so that I can put a couple things in the back still or at least have it look more presentable, u less of course the sound is that much better I'm not sure yet.. Oh, and there's an option of 10 or 12 inch; is there really THAT MUCH of a noticeable difference or is it hardly noticeable? With it rear facing I can't see it being that noticeable.

So aside from figure that first step out if I go with them, next I'm not sure what it even comes with. Is it going to come with all the necessary items for installation? Assuming it doesn't come with the amp and I'd probably need one.. Any recommendations? And how would I even install the amp? How do you even go about installing and wiring everything before the amp?

After adding the subwoofer should I maybe even change out any stock speakers? If so how would I do that?

Sure someone's gonna say to google this or bring it in to a shop, but I rather save the money by doing it myself and want to hear how you guys went about doing this to your personal Camaro's. And yes I've searched the forums and haven't found as much as I thought/needed.

Thanks!!
if you just want it to sound good, and not try to make sure everyone around the neighborhood know your coming. A simple 10 works great. I made my own box a few months ago and have a 10'' RF P2 and it sounds great. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is such as good feeling as well when it's done. Mine faces forward (towards the back seat). Built the box facing towards the trunk opening first and sound wise was not much of a difference. Wanted it to have a little visual appeal as well. I leave my seat up 99% of the time, unless i'm showing the speaker. sound is not much different whether the seat is up or down. included a few pics. looks much better in person.
Attached Images

chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
NY Andrew

Thanks Mt those links were super interesting!! I will definitely think about moving them a bit closer to the trunk (might work out because I can hide my jumper cables behind it then!). Never thought twice about this idea until you shared it.

I love that personal touch you added Chris! So you just have one single 10"? Assuming you bought an amp as well. How'd you go about hooking it up? No sure if you had to add new fuses or whatnot. I've already added a couple things to my fusebox (can't even cover it now just got a piece of cardboard over it). I remember seeing in the past there were plug-and-play devices for the Camaro, not sure if they've made any wiring for the 16' like that yet.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Thanks Mt those links were super interesting!! I will definitely think about moving them a bit closer to the trunk (might work out because I can hide my jumper cables behind it then!). Never thought twice about this idea until you shared it.

I love that personal touch you added Chris! So you just have one single 10"? Assuming you bought an amp as well. How'd you go about hooking it up? No sure if you had to add new fuses or whatnot. I've already added a couple things to my fusebox (can't even cover it now just got a piece of cardboard over it). I remember seeing in the past there were plug-and-play devices for the Camaro, not sure if they've made any wiring for the 16' like that yet.
Thanks, I connected it directly to the Bose amp outputs. And used the battery tap area for the power. Typical amp wiring and whatnot. I made a shelf to pretty much cover all the wiring. As was with the other pics, looks way better in person. Camera makes it look bad.
Attached Images

chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
Paparazzi 1

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS A6 Coupe - Crystal Red
Am looking for some thoughts . . .

Just ordered a loaded '17 2SS. Will trade in my '12 gen5.

Current buggy has a Boston Acoustics system with the GM subwoofer upgrade P/N 92213214. 2-10" 200 Watt plug 'n play, made by MTX.

Love it ! But dealer trade in price doesn't warrant me leaving it in.

It's a built in amp, self contained box, wire harness that plugs into the two rear deck speakers (in and out each side), two wires to the trunk battery and turn it on ! Simple.

I would like to reinstall it in the Gen6 with the new Bose system. I can see that the speaker/harness plugs are different as is the number of wires. In doing some searching, I read that there is a company that may make a new harness for this switch.

Anyone know who?

Is it adaptable? or should I sell it and look for a readymade unit for the Gen6?

Last edited by Paparazzi 1; 08-09-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: was not done !
Paparazzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, sub box, sub thump, subwoofer