Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #85
Dinky Toy

Drives: 2LT/RS A6 CGM/IO Zaino
Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
It is a very valid point. Volume is most definately a factor when properly setting up a remote mount system. A lot of time goes into selecting the tubing sizes and turbo sizes. You have to take into account velocity of exhaust and the velocity of air from the turbos. Then there are the temperatures of the air returning to the intake and so on. I can assure you that when Rick (sts turbo systems) engineers a system he does all the math for it before just throwing it on a car.

Thanks east TX Muscle cars for not burning me to a pityfull pile of ashes.

I completely agree that with proper engineering any disadvantages from remote mounting can be overcome and find it assuring to hear that STS does exactly do that.

I only respond when I have something useful to say, something absolutely new to tell or a very personal (and positive) comment to make.
As English is a second language for me, I choose my wording very carefully and cross my T's and dot my I's.

Didn't mean to bash on you but I hold vendors to a higher level of knowledge and as such I felt compelled to respond to that previous statement.

And yes, I always cringe when I see forum members or guests bash needlessly on vendors/products (whom provide us choices and competition) based solely on personal opinion, often unfounded and without personal experience.
If you have nothing positive OR usefull to say, please don't say anything.
Saves me from reading a lot of non-informative posts.

We are still friends I trust, my fellow TX's member...?

Last edited by Dinky Toy; 08-17-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Dinky Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #86
Dinky Toy

Drives: 2LT/RS A6 CGM/IO Zaino
Oops, Comcast crapped out and I rammed the "Save" button as often and quickly as I could.

Double post therefore edited.

Last edited by Dinky Toy; 08-17-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Dinky Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #87
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacamaro View Post
this my be the stupidest thing ever said but whats to keep a person from mounting two turbos on the exhaust and two under the hood? is there any advantage to that?
It's proven to be a waste mounting them like STS does in the rear. They make great kits but Toyota Supra's, Nissan Skyline's, WRX STi's, Lancer Evo's, Nissan (240) Silvia S-15's and other top notch Turbo cars don't do it all for the same reason. Twin turbo kits are over-rated, single kits are better and more reliable. If they werent twin turbo cars wouldn't switch to single kits to make big power
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #88
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I don't think anyone is saying you can't make more power with a normal front mounted turbo. Some places like California, though, don't allow you to mess with the exhaust in front of the cats, so STS is really your only turbo option until somebody gets a kit approved.

Sure, you lose a lot of energy from the exhaust by putting it in the back, but a properly sized turbo can make up for that. I will be interested to see the track times for this kit. That will tell the true tale to me.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #89
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZee View Post
It's proven to be a waste mounting them like STS does in the rear. They make great kits but Toyota Supra's, Nissan Skyline's, WRX STi's, Lancer Evo's, Nissan (240) Silvia S-15's and other top notch Turbo cars don't do it all for the same reason. Twin turbo kits are over-rated, single kits are better and more reliable. If they werent twin turbo cars wouldn't switch to single kits to make big power
A waste is a matter of opinion. Smaller dual turbos will spool faster but not allow real high boost. It really depends on what your goal for the vehicle is. For a road coarse car I would want a smaller twin turbo system that makes power throughout the RPM range and lower power levels. If I want an all out drag car a single large turbo that makes huge power in the upper RPM range would be better.

This is exactly why when a customer calls us we need to know what your goals are before just telling you what to go with. It is very short sided to just go for the most power all the time.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #90
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZb383 View Post
1 foot of water is not that uncommon here in Houston in a big rainstorm. Happens more often than you might think.
why are you driving a 4th gen around in a foot of water? even with a stock intake on the car, youd still be running the risk of hydrolock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstairs View Post
Yeah we live on top of a huge swamp
we get nasty rains here in charleston as well, and I leave the car at home when the rain gets deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
A waste is a matter of opinion. Smaller dual turbos will spool faster but not allow real high boost. It really depends on what your goal for the vehicle is. For a road coarse car I would want a smaller twin turbo system that makes power throughout the RPM range and lower power levels. If I want an all out drag car a single large turbo that makes huge power in the upper RPM range would be better.

This is exactly why when a customer calls us we need to know what your goals are before just telling you what to go with. It is very short sided to just go for the most power all the time.

if I want an all out drag car... dual large turbos would be better.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #91
y-knot

Drives: Subaru Legacy Turbo
You guys are some of the worst "Car Guy's" I have ever come across. Most seem to know nothing about power adders and a few are darn right stupid. This remote kit, in one form or another has been available for almost 20 years, through an assortment of vendors. These kits were originally installed on higher priced cars, were the owners wanted a very clean and professional looking job, nothing to devalue the price of their expensive cars. Yes, you are most use to seeing hack jobs, where others cram the Turbo's into the hood area, which might seem normal and maybe tough looking. But, the fact is most under-hood turbo installs turn into a lifelong series of troubles. The excessive heat produced by the added and exposed exhaust system and related pieces takes it's tool on surrounding components and they eventually fail. Wiring melts, sensors get out of calibration and under hood temps eventually over-come any real gains. Turbo technology has come a very long way in the last several years. We now have the materials to make turbo charging a very effective and viable means to increase the performance and efficiency of the modern engine. That long route to the back of the car, can easily be over-come with the proper selection of turbines, housings and routing. In a conventional installation, the front mounted Turbo's, route the air forward to the front mounted coolers, then back to the engine. when all is said and done, there isn't that much difference between the length of the intake tubing between a front or rear mounted turbo installation. There is however a difference, between the supply side or hot side turbine distance, which can easily be overcome with the right selection of parts. In the end, the neater looking, cooler, stock appearing engine compartment is better off with the rear-mounted turbo installation. As for the water concerns, there are obvious limitations. You can see that the intake air filters for the system are mounted to collect air from the top of the rear fender wells, you would have to drive through water deep enough to enter the bottom of the car doors before it could enter the air system. If you're really that stupid, to drive your new Camaro through that deep of water, with a new rear mounted, twin turbo system, then perhaps you really don't deserve a car like that? Just a thought… Again, most front mounted twin turbo systems have their air intake systems mounted much lower, with the air filter mounted to the front of each front tire, and below the floor pan......much lower then up in the rear fender well!
I think too many times when one say's there negative comments, like Turbo's belong on V-6's, or Turbo's are stupid or they will have killer lag....What they are really trying to say is " I don't have one or the money to purchase one, so therefore those that do have the means and the cars with the parts, are stupid" or " if I had one it would be the best thing since sliced bread, but because I don't, it's no good" What a lame way to go through life.
y-knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #92
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
wow
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #93
pqtiii

Drives: 07 Mustang GT STS TT
I installed a STS twin kit on my 07 Mustang last year. The install took me about 8 hours. That was one of the reasons that I went with the STS, because there wasn't that much work in the engine bay. And also because STS was a couple of hours from me. The car is basically a stock 4.6 running 9psi of boost. There definately isn't the instant torque, but from about 3500rpms on in each gear, it pulls hard. Don't really having anything to compare lag to, but it starts building boost around 2700 and tops out about 3500. I just wrapped the exhaust last night hoping to lower the starting point.

I live at 5200 elevation, so the car runs a little slower than a lot of the lower elevation cars. Just started taking it to the track a few months ago. I have about 15 passes on the car and myself. I'm trying to figure out how to launch the car it. We also installed a 2 step last week. I'm able to get about 5psi from the Neutral rev. Looking to try that out this weekend. My best so far at the track is 13.20 at 112 mphs (crappy driving).

I guess with all of the rambling having the rear mounts do have their place. The install and maint is fairly easy. The customer service has been great and the price was reasonable too...
pqtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #94
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
East Texas Motorsports had an AWESOME GTO with the STS setup. Came very close to buying it when it was put on the market. I'm sorry, but anything that you can do to get 1000+ H.P, is freeking cool!

Several GTO guys swear by their STS kits, I was seriously considering getting one until the wife said no more mods to the Camaro until she gets her new swimming pool.

Next winter, watch out! There WILL BE at least one IOM 2SS/RS M6 running the streets of SoCal with an STS kit!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #95
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
great post y-knnot, and thanks for posting up your experience with them pqtiii.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #96
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Y-knot.. Thats some pretty good info there, however, coming on here with your 1 post and bashing the guys on the forum about how stupid we are isn't cool.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 AM   #97
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Y-knot.. Thats some pretty good info there, however, coming on here with your 1 post and bashing the guys on the forum about how stupid we are isn't cool.
i don't mind being called stupid, but is it too hard to avoid the dreaded wall of text with a few paragraphs throughout?

back on topic with the thread... i like the sts set-up, it's just one more option for people to choose from. i hope the team at sts can get us some vids of the car in action soon.
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #98
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
i don't mind being called stupid, but is it too hard to avoid the dreaded wall of text with a few paragraphs throughout?

back on topic with the thread... i like the sts set-up, it's just one more option for people to choose from. i hope the team at sts can get us some vids of the car in action soon.
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote