Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Thumbs down Seriously, it's just a Lexus.

Lexus has changed its mind on the LF-A. Now, besides just leasing the LF-A, it is possible to buy the overpriced Lexus exotic, but buyers have to sign stipulations that they cannot resell the car without first allowing Lexus to buy the car for retail or market value.

What is so reckless about this is the arrogant assumption that the LF-A will rampantly grow past its MSRP of $375,000 after sale, especially given the obvious fact that better looking and better performing exotics are much cheaper and equally rare. Leftlane reported.

Discuss.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Lexus has changed its mind on the LF-A. Now, besides just leasing the LF-A, it is possible to buy the overpriced Lexus exotic, but buyers have to sign stipulations that they cannot resell the car without first allowing Lexus to buy the car for retail or market value.

What is so reckless about this is the arrogant assumption that the LF-A will rampantly grow past its MSRP of $375,000 after sale, especially given the obvious fact that better looking and better performing exotics are much cheaper and equally rare. Leftlane reported.
Leftlane didn't actually report that 2nd part
Discuss.
My understanding is they sold out the entire 2011 MY even on the lease basis before the first LF-A tire touches the ground. So regardless of how you feel about them, somebody must want one bad enough to pay top dollar. And if you can pay $375k, you can pay $475k. It's just sort of a meh story.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
HeHasReturned

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
My understanding is they sold out the entire 2011 MY even on the lease basis before the first LF-A tire touches the ground. So regardless of how you feel about them, somebody must want one bad enough to pay top dollar. And if you can pay $375k, you can pay $475k. It's just sort of a meh story.
Yes, like it or not, it sold out already, and people really want it. I know if I had that kind of money, I'd want it too. To each his own
HeHasReturned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
$375,000 LMFAO, but like was said people are wanting them. To each his own.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Damn, I'm feeling good about just barely being able to afford my 2SS/RS at $36k.. It will take me 8 yrs to make $450,000 - which is just pocket change to some of our population.

Happy with what I've got (even though I'd like to be able to afford some mods)..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
It is a Car, once you have my cash, I OWN the car, I can burn it, wreck it, drive it, garage it, race it, paint it, modify it. Whatever ever I want. TO include SELL it.

So I am completely against this signed agreement that states that Lexus has first dibs on buying back first.

And for that reason alone, I wouldn't buy it (regardless of how rich I am) (which I am not, lol)
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
yeah to people in the market for these cars... the price is irrelevant
Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
yeah to people in the market for these cars... the price is irrelevant
It isn't just that the price is so high. It is that Lexus thinks it will continue to grow in value despite mileage.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
It isn't just that the price is so high. It is that Lexus thinks it will continue to grow in value despite mileage.

true enough. it's pretty arrogant to assume you're building an automotive investment. Especially when it's your first crack at the market.

that said... someone will pay it, and someone else will buy it from them.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
I think they've already made the case that the value will grow as long as they keep supply low. Just google "lexus lf-a demand". No facepalm required. First rule of economics: an object's value is determined by what someone will pay for it, and people have already stated they would pay more.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
true enough. it's pretty arrogant to assume you're building an automotive investment. Especially when it's your first crack at the market.

that said... someone will pay it, and someone else will buy it from them.
That's exactly it! Lexus has no experience in high-end luxury products. They are trying to compete above the price of Lamborghini and have a slower, less attractive product.

Of course some rich idiot will buy it, but I can't imagine spending that much money and getting something so expensive with no exotic history behind it, no experience even building exotics, or knowing that something so much more recognized as elite is so much cheaper. Of course, every brand starts from nothing, so it is possible that the LF-A becomes a smash hit and establishes itself as a great exotic, but pricing it so high seems crazy to me. The arrogant assumption of this success by Lexus just baffles me.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:

Discuss.
Because the simple fact is this happens with EVERY high end exotic car. Rich boy A gets one, rich boy B HAS TO HAVE ONE so he calls daddy and gets one at any cost, well all are sold out... But I will sell you mine for $500k... waah I want it.... OK SOLD!

There are whole exotic broker businesses built around this. They buy up early runs of the new Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, etc and then then sell them for a big profit.

If you search the forum we had a good discussion about how this works a couple months ago too.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
If I had that kind of money.. I would buy it.. give it hell, and then when I get tired of it 3 days later and go buy another 500k car I would drive it to the lexus factory where they make it and set it on fire... dont care if its japan I have plenty money
Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Something about a fool and his money....