Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
sdmaro

Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Victim of Dealership Mistake..

I recently went to rotate my tires on my LS late in February. Initially, I would feel the car shake at highways speeds really bad and I figured it was the balancing not done or incorrect or maybe the tread was worn uneven. Well today I received a flat tire and to my surprise the tread was completely worn on one side! I'm thinking the dealership did not balance or align the tires correctly resulting in me having crappy worn tires. Are they going to replace the tires even at 3 months past due. I had absolutely no issues before the rotation and have been going to this dealership since I bought it here at Ron Baker in San Diego. Below are some pictures of the damage, what do I do?

Suspension: BC BR Coilovers

Cosmetics: ZL1 front conversion, AAC plasma afterburners 2.0, GFX rear,

Interior: AAC red footwells, ZL1 shifter boot/knob, suede center console
sdmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
that had nothing to do with the rotation so being 3000 miles over due will not mater. There is something wrong with the tires or alignment.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Suck it up, find a new Dealer, and buy new tires. They're going to do everything in their power to put it all on you and being 'past due' on scheduled maint. will put the ball squarely in their court. They aren't obligated to give you new tires even if they cause the issue; it's a wear item and not covered under warranty.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
1LT-Fan

Drives: LFX/RS 12'
Was having the same issue on my Cruze had them realign the whole thing, However Warranty covers that sort of thing.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Its not really clear in your intial statement if you specifically asked the dealership do an alignment and/or balancing recently? who did the rotation in February?
If the dealership/service department did all the above in February there's a good chance that something happened since then (or they will say you hit a curb or pothole, etc.) otherwise they would have sold you at least a new set of tires back then. And they are certainly not going to pay for a new tire or set. They will say something happened in the 6 months you were driving the car.
If you noticed something not normal after they did the work, you probably should have gone back to them right away.
BUT that being said you should certainly try to get them to do something for you. If you don't ask, its an automatic NO....

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
sdmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Its not really clear in your intial statement if you specifically asked the dealership do an alignment and/or balancing recently? who did the rotation in February?
If the dealership/service department did all the above in February there's a good chance that something happened since then (or they will say you hit a curb or pothole, etc.) otherwise they would have sold you at least a new set of tires back then. And they are certainly not going to pay for a new tire or set. They will say something happened in the 6 months you were driving the car.
If you noticed something not normal after they did the work, you probably should have gone back to them right away.
BUT that being said you should certainly try to get them to do something for you. If you don't ask, its an automatic NO....
I did the rotation at the dealership. I would have no awareness of the issue since it was on the inside..?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
All they did was rotate the tires right? If so it looks like you either have a really bad alignment or something is wrong with your suspension. If its alignment then they aren't responsible. If its suspension it may be under warranty but highly unlikely they will cover tires. Tires are wear items which aren't covered under warranty.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Unless its a defect in the tire but that doesn't look like the case.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
sdmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
All they did was rotate the tires right? If so it looks like you either have a really bad alignment or something is wrong with your suspension. If its alignment then they aren't responsible. If its suspension it may be under warranty but highly unlikely they will cover tires. Tires are wear items which aren't covered under warranty.
Yes, i figured they would balance and align them as well. I had no problems with tires, suspension, or improper tread prior to the rotation.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You had problems before the rotation...you might not have been aware of it.....if you put a new tire on and don't have the alignment fixed....it'll look like that again in no time....it's way outa alignment.....it'll drive like a new car when it's fixed...tire rotation doesn't cause uneven tire wear...it helps prevent it.....
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
This thread confuses me. I don't see what the dealer did wrong.

Believe it or not, a tire can wear in that fashion in very few miles if the alignment is grossly off. That's the case here. No other factor will cause a tire to wear like this. You have way too much negative camber, and/or toe-in.

I would check for bent components. A major pothole or curb shot can can things to bend.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
you have a camber problem there,dont know how the dealer would be responsible unless they aligned it, normal maint item, align should be checked at least every 6000 or so unless the roads you drive are in pristine condition. JUst make sure after you have thos tires replaced you do your alignment so your not throwing money away. Good luck
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmaro View Post
Yes, i figured they would balance and align them as well. I had no problems with tires, suspension, or improper tread prior to the rotation.
If it was free rotation, they might not even balance them again. They never check alignment for free with rotataion and balance.

I think your not going to get any new tires from them.