Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Header Questions

I'm thinking of getting headers and need some feedback. I have an A6 and SLP LM II axle-back. Plan on getting the ADM CAI.

1. Will the stock exhaust (excluding mufflers) have too much back pressure to notice any improvement from headers alone?

2. How much of an increase in exhaust sound should I expect? The increase in sound is not a issue just would like to have an idea. Someone had mentioned that the increase is sound from headers would be minimal.

3. Are there headers that will bolt directly to the stock exhaust flange?

Getting a tune is driving these questions. Thanks for the input.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
A.R. Headers

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Missile, If you chose to use our headers and high flow cats only, they'll bolt right up to you existing mid section. It will liven up the sound a touch at idle and cruise. I'll come on stronger when you're rowing through the gears. If you want nothing short of the best performance results, go with our system complete. Combined with you axle back it should sound great as well.

Nick
A.R. Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
thenaz
Thenaz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS BLK GFX IOI/STRIPE TVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Headers View Post
Missile, If you chose to use our headers and high flow cats only, they'll bolt right up to you existing mid section. It will liven up the sound a touch at idle and cruise. I'll come on stronger when you're rowing through the gears. If you want nothing short of the best performance results, go with our system complete. Combined with you axle back it should sound great as well.

Nick
I've been trying to decide the best combo of American Racing Headers for my 2010 Camaro manual 6 speed. I'm going to put on a TVS 2300 Magnacharger with a ADM Performance cold air intake. I want the American Racing Headers on the stock muflers (a friend had this with a corsa cat back that was way too loud so he went back to the stock mufflers that are about 2 times louder than before headers and sounds good). My question is that your long tube headers with high flow cats, x-pipe and extension pipes to the rear axle appear to come in 2 size options: 1 7/8 inch or 2 inch 304-SS, so what are the advantages or disadvantages of the smaller or larger diameters. More torque with smaller diameter? More horsepower with larger? I want more torgue at lower rpm over more power at higher. What will get me what I want? Also is the combination I am going to put together sound solid or do you have other suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Scott (the naz)
thenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Torque Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz View Post
I've been trying to decide the best combo of American Racing Headers for my 2010 Camaro manual 6 speed. I'm going to put on a TVS 2300 Magnacharger with a ADM Performance cold air intake. I want the American Racing Headers on the stock muflers (a friend had this with a corsa cat back that was way too loud so he went back to the stock mufflers that are about 2 times louder than before headers and sounds good). My question is that your long tube headers with high flow cats, x-pipe and extension pipes to the rear axle appear to come in 2 size options: 1 7/8 inch or 2 inch 304-SS, so what are the advantages or disadvantages of the smaller or larger diameters. More torque with smaller diameter? More horsepower with larger? I want more torgue at lower rpm over more power at higher. What will get me what I want? Also is the combination I am going to put together sound solid or do you have other suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Scott (the naz)
I'm going with 1 3/4" primaries into 3" collectors with 3" x 2.5" cats. That will leave the options wide open for a catback choice.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Are the SLP LMII 2.5" pipes and exhaust? SLP's website says it is a 3" madrel bend system, but the parts lists calls everything 2.5" diameter. I'm looking at a very similar set-up as the OP. I'm leaning toward ARH, no other headers have shown to make as much power and I love the sound of the LMIIs.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Missile Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Are the SLP LMII 2.5" pipes and exhaust? SLP's website says it is a 3" madrel bend system, but the parts lists calls everything 2.5" diameter. I'm looking at a very similar set-up as the OP. I'm leaning toward ARH, no other headers have shown to make as much power and I love the sound of the LMIIs.
I'm not sure on the size but it's a direct bolt on to the stock pipes. Super easy to install. I'll love the LM II's even more when I disable AFM.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
Old 09-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Missile Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Headers View Post

Nick

Nick,

I'll look into your setup, thanks.

Would you have the P/N's?

Mods:
* CAI Intake

Last edited by Missile Man; 09-26-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Every photo of the AR's and SLP's headers shows what appears to be header to axel system. My question is $1800 for AR's is that for header to axel or just header & cat.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Every photo of the AR's and SLP's headers shows what appears to be header to axel system. My question is $1800 for AR's is that for header to axel or just header & cat.
Header to rear axle with cats.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Dos the ARH in 1 7/8 throw a code?.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Merc
In The Circle

K. Now just got to figure out what is the best axel back system. I want it to sound cool, but not stupid loud. Ted what's your pick ARH's or SLP's and correct part #.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
K. Now just got to figure out what is the best axel back system. I want it to sound cool, but not stupid loud. Ted what's your pick ARH's or SLP's and correct part #.

You might want to go with Magnaflow street series (with mufflers). Stay away from the muffler delete systems.
I know that Magnaflow is one of the more quiet exhausts and used with headers by many because of that. You will still have a loud aggressive exhaust, but it won't be "stupid loud."
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Merc
In The Circle

K So Magna Flow makes axel back system?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I am still testing headers have not settled on anything yet.

My Gut tells me 1 3/4 primaries are the ticket be we will see.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote