Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
Don't remind me lol i know math has almost everything to do with cars & driving but i'll admit that was just too much for me lol,
i wish i knew someone with a manual to practice on but w/e
you could use mine, but that'd be quite a drive...

ps - i like that pic

happens to me all the time
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #30
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
since we are talking bout manual and when to shift...i got a question a lil off topic...ok im getting my camaro stick but dont really have any experience with manual...ive drove it before in my friends cars...an old volvo 740(i think) turbo, a 95 civic bubble back, and his dads mini cooper S...the hardest part is getting it into first and taking off...although im passed that point...im just nervous as to when im in traffic but wuteva thats not my question...my question is how the hell do people do burn outs? do they use their left for for the clutch and right foot to hold the brake and give gas? then put the clutch foot on the brake and then move the right foot fully to the gas? that sounds like it would work to me...and the only possible way...but the real question is, how do people do burn out and switch gears while burning out? are they doing a heal toe technique and just holding the gas down through shifts?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #31
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
since we are talking bout manual and when to shift...i got a question a lil off topic...ok im getting my camaro stick but dont really have any experience with manual...ive drove it before in my friends cars...an old volvo 740(i think) turbo, a 95 civic bubble back, and his dads mini cooper S...the hardest part is getting it into first and taking off...although im passed that point...im just nervous as to when im in traffic but wuteva thats not my question...my question is how the hell do people do burn outs? do they use their left for for the clutch and right foot to hold the brake and give gas? then put the clutch foot on the brake and then move the right foot fully to the gas? that sounds like it would work to me...and the only possible way...but the real question is, how do people do burn out and switch gears while burning out? are they doing a heal toe technique and just holding the gas down through shifts?
i've never personally done it, but the heel-toe makes perfect sense to use on shifts, but for just first gear, droppin the clutch & gettin the brake with the left will work
Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #32
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
line lock helps but you dont need it.

yes, just spin the tires and use your clutch foot to hold the brakes. not that hard. and to shift, let go of the brake, shift, then hold the brake again with the clutch foot. not that hard either, the tires should be spinning fast enough at that point to where it doesn't creep forward much if at all.

burnouts in the camaro might be rougher on the engine though with those huge brakes in the back creating a heavy load on the driveline.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #33
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post

yes, just spin the tires and use your clutch foot to hold the brakes. not that hard. and to shift, let go of the brake, shift, then hold the brake again with the clutch foot. not that hard either, the tires should be spinning fast enough at that point to where it doesn't creep forward much if at all.

burnouts in the camaro might be rougher on the engine though with those huge brakes in the back creating a heavy load on the driveline.
someone mentioned earlier that you only use 20% brake pressure in the rear
honest to God NEVER KNEW THAT !! , but thats kool
Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #34
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
someone mentioned earlier that you only use 20% brake pressure in the rear
honest to God NEVER KNEW THAT !! , but thats kool
basically, you hold the brake down the least amount possible while keeping the car from moving forward.

it still puts a pretty good strain on the whole driveline (rear end, clutch, transmission and engine). Not to mention, the brakes take a pretty good beating (AND TIRES!).
Old 03-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #35
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
basically, you hold the brake down the least amount possible while keeping the car from moving forward.

it still puts a pretty good strain on the whole driveline (rear end, clutch, transmission and engine). Not to mention, the brakes take a pretty good beating (AND TIRES!).
what you talkin 'bout, willis? burnouts don't do jack to the tires!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #36
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:

This is also a good benefit of a line lock. You can set it up to where only the front brakes are engaged, and the rear brakes let go. That way you aren't putting more stress on the drivetrain or the rear brakes. I'll personally be setting up a line lock before I do any (stationary) burnouts.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #37
NightmareSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i've never personally done it, but the heel-toe makes perfect sense to use on shifts, but for just first gear, droppin the clutch & gettin the brake with the left will work
nah i meant...holding the break and giving gas with your right foot...dump the clutch with your left and after u got the wheels spinning place your left foot on the brake since you dont need it on the clutch anymore and then use your right foot only for the gas

Quote:

but when you shift do you just hold the gas down? if u let go for even a sec the wheels will stop spinning no?

Last edited by NightmareSS; 03-22-2009 at 01:35 PM.
NightmareSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
...but when you shift do you just fold the gas down? if u let go for even a sec the wheels will stop spinning no?
letting the brake go for a second to hit the clutch is fine. so long as you keep giving it gas, you're breaking so much traction, you won't go anywhere. if you let off the gas, the wheels will stop.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #39
NightmareSS

thats what i thought....but what im asking is...do you hold the gas down through the shift? that seems like it would f*** up the car, no?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #40
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
thats what i thought....but what im asking is...do you hold the gas down through the shift? that seems like it would f*** up the car, no?
well, you don't need to be anywhere near WOT to be spinning the tires. Even if your one of those rookies bouncing off the rev limiter, you still shouldn't be going WOT.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #41
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Back to the OP...I imagine the difference between the red and the red hash marked is... Warrantee and no warrante repair lol
Old 03-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #42
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
long story short...

horsepower is horsepower is horsepower as is torque is torque is torque

426hp in 1st is still 426hp in 6th. it just feels different. when I race I will continue to shift to every gear at 6000rpms no matter what all yall say. Therefore I highly recommend you guys to shift your ls3 cars at 6500, but get good at shifting first

If you want to race me mr zebra I live in La Vergne I'd love to race your short shifting ass jk Do you have a car you run? I plan on going to the nashvlle spr spdway next month. I need to get to beechbend 1/4 mile too since I've never run one

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6-speed, gauge, redline, shift