Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #533
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
No excuses, just have some issues to try to resolve, I did run a 14:245 which I won't call good at all, I know it has potential to do much better. In each run, the 60 foot times were not where they should be, 2.1-2.4. 1st and 2nd gear I was spinning the tires even after the slow shift.
At this point I am at a loss how to get past the 1-2 shift being so difficult. I doubt a shifter change would make a difference as I feel it is a clutch/transmission issue?
Seems speed shifting is difficult in modern transmissions, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113398 and listen to the shifts.
When under boost in 1st, 2nd, hitting the rev limiter comes fast with the spinning of the tires. Having slicks would help this. Once moving down the track without that issue may change the whole situation?
I have some things to try after thinking about it and discussing it.
The Slicks are needed for sure. I have been looking for some lightweight wheels. Seems they aren't available in 18" to 20" that I can find. Anyone know of any? 18".
I am just out of time this year to make the changes now with the weather in Michigan moving in to winter. I will be back and hopefully with some more positive results.
I do have stock tires, stock rear end. Hmm, maybe I can plan a vacation to Florida and take it there? lol, Maybe a little Disney majic?
I will see if I can put a video on later today.
ROD1 is running knock-off Vette wheels with a spacer... Might be an option.

ROD1 wrote: "I run 18" 20 lb Z06 aftermarket rims with hoosier DRs 2" shorter than the 20" P-zeros. "
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #534
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Just got back from the track... no TB...

Rich had traction issues and shifting problems.. the 1-2 shift that people are having issues with really hurt him... he had to really kind of baby the shifts... also the gears are so short in the 6 speed he would hit the rev limiter before he knew it.....
See its not just a select few with the bug!!! In my pictures you can see a dynolicious log with a GOOD 1-2 shift taking about 0.75 second!!! Recent repairs by GM are just doing flywheel bolts and a new pressure plate if the trans isnt already wrecked. :(
Ill sell you my shifter if you want it, doesnt help. IMO its throwout bearing without enough travel in design, pressure plate, or drivetrain flex.. My 2c
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #535
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
If you are saying that second won't engage during normal shifting, then I don't know what to say, because mine doesn't have that problem. It does grind if I try to shift quickly so I definitely have to shift slower. In this case, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
I think a MUCH lighter flywheel/clutch setup would greatly benefit these cars (both turbo and N/A), to me it's painfully obvious in every respect that this car's flywheel or flywheel/clutch is way too heavy. Losing all that mass and reducing the MOI will be a huge help with the second gear grinding (among other issues). With a lighter rotating mass, the free-wheeling RPM's drop faster, and at the same time the synchro's don't have to work nearly as hard to pull the RPM's down for the next gear because the mass is easier to slow down.

Once we get some lighter flywheel options out there, I think a lot of the shifting issues will be improved, if not cured.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #536
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
Basically, if I could shift as I could back in high school in my 72 Chevelle SS 454 with Rock crusher four speed then we would have something. If you could speed shift without letting off of the gas you wouldn't lose the time as much and maybe keep the boost. That being said, how can you speed shift a new Camaro? SS or non? Normal shifting sure it shifts just fine. It still is notchy feeling for a lack of a better word from 1st to second.
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #537
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I know this would be illegal but im really curious to see how the turbo would run on a top speed or highway run, from a dig we know we have problems because of the tranny. but im wondering how fast it is rolling from 20 or 40 etc.
Any tracks where you could do this legally? Maybe a closed down airport strip.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #538
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
No excuses, just have some issues to try to resolve, I did run a 14:245 which I won't call good at all, I know it has potential to do much better. In each run, the 60 foot times were not where they should be, 2.1-2.4. 1st and 2nd gear I was spinning the tires even after the slow shift.
At this point I am at a loss how to get past the 1-2 shift being so difficult. I doubt a shifter change would make a difference as I feel it is a clutch/transmission issue?
Seems speed shifting is difficult in modern transmissions, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113398 and listen to the shifts.
When under boost in 1st, 2nd, hitting the rev limiter comes fast with the spinning of the tires. Having slicks would help this. Once moving down the track without that issue may change the whole situation?
I have some things to try after thinking about it and discussing it.
The Slicks are needed for sure. I have been looking for some lightweight wheels. Seems they aren't available in 18" to 20" that I can find. Anyone know of any? 18".
I am just out of time this year to make the changes now with the weather in Michigan moving in to winter. I will be back and hopefully with some more positive results.
I do have stock tires, stock rear end. Hmm, maybe I can plan a vacation to Florida and take it there? lol, Maybe a little Disney majic?
I will see if I can put a video on later today.
I know this is going to sound just wrong, but have you thought of launching in 2nd? It'd take away your 1-2 shift issue and help your traction issue.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #539
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Basically, if I could shift as I could back in high school in my 72 Chevelle SS 454 with Rock crusher four speed then we would have something. If you could speed shift without letting off of the gas you wouldn't lose the time as much and maybe keep the boost. That being said, how can you speed shift a new Camaro? SS or non? Normal shifting sure it shifts just fine. It still is notchy feeling for a lack of a better word from 1st to second.
Yeah, the guys with the manual 2005+ V6 Stangs ran into the same issue, under a heavy load simply couldn't shift into 3rd... now tack on some FI and it really became an issue... so guys were swapping their crappy T5s out for TR6060s...

And even if you could power shift, wonder how long it would take to explode that stock tranny... ????

So... will you be the first with an SS manual in a V6? Sounds like a fun winter project... I'll take pictures!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #540
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I know this is going to sound just wrong, but have you thought of launching in 2nd? It'd take away your 1-2 shift issue and help your traction issue.
With 3.73/4.10 that might not be a bad option... Just make first a granny gear like the hd trucks... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On 2nd thought.. I managed to demolish the 2nd gear keyway 100% stock chirping tires on shifts.. Scrmings option is the only viable long term solution since these suckers are so anemic.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #541
Rdditten

Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #542
Rdditten

Actually, I did give starting in second gear a thought. Hmmm?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #543
Rdditten

I thought of the tranny change too... from manual to an automatic.... lol
I wonder would be required to change to the SS manual trans. Can it be speed shifted? From what I see on videos they are being shifted lifting off the throttle too. Makes me think you can't shift them any faster. Although, they may last a little longer.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #544
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Actually, I did give starting in second gear a thought. Hmmm?
Well, Lapeer is open until the end of November?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #545
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Here's a solo run:

Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #546
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Well, Lapeer is open until the end of November?

Hmmm...