Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
BRcar

Drives: 13 zl1 crt convertible
GM deflector installed on convertible

This is how I did it & what I used;
GM deflector pn# 23188146
GM retainers(nuts) pn# 11570215 (9) these snap into rectangular holes in sub frame
14-black body bolts w/ washers on bolts (7-m6 x 1" 7-m6 x 1.5")
2-m6 cage nuts(3 will come with deflector)
truck mud flaps

I used a truck flap, the really tough ones with the cloth theads in the rubber. Need to shim the deflector down 5/8". I had to cut two pieces for each side, one 3/8" & one 1/4" thick. I used the contoure of the deflector for the outside edge and just cut it strait on the inside where it contacts subframe. Spaced between the front cross brace & the rear cross brace, not the whole lenth of the deflector. Gorilla glued the two pieces together to dry. I had to make my own bushings(2 on each side & 1 in the middle). I tried brake caliper bushings but it didn't work(broke 3 of the $3 GM nuts). They are 5/8" diameter with a 5/16" hole & 9/16" long,this is important because the bushing must contact as much of the GM retainer as possible, otherwise it will break(they are chincey). Marked the hole location on rubber spacers drilled & pressed in bushings(add a little gorilla glue makes it easier). The bushing in the middle of the deflector needs to be 3/4" long. I used rubber mount from an old 68 Camaro wiper motor, I knew I would use that sucker someday.lol Gorilla glued it to the deflector. On the rear wings of the deflector I used small pieces of 3/8" flap, cut to fit. All other mounting locations no spacing was needed. I wanted it to look factory installed & get all the benefits that the coupes were lucky anough to get from GM without changing or sacrificing any body support for the convertible.
Attached Images

BRcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Any concerns about heat?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
BRcar

Drives: 13 zl1 crt convertible
quite actually, I think it helps. It's primary purpose is to control air turbulence under the vehicle at high speeds & enhanced trany cooling. A coupe unattended side benefits, as I understand is a cleaner engine compartment & better fuel milage.
BRcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Nice, but whoever changes your oil is gonna hate you..lol
Old 03-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I see that big ol' heavy choker exhaust and want headers.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
GoTopless

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
So i take it that the Vert's did not come with the belly pan deflector and if you buy a up graded belly pan with the 3 slots then you will need to still modify in order for the belly pan deflector to work.
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote