Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Cam package ??

Just need some advice and good cam packages recommended this way. I have a tvs2300 on my 2010 SS ls3. Making 550 to the wheels. But want to step it up a little more. What is a good blower cam package that would come with everything I need. I dont want anything with a rough idle,maybe mild but not radical. What would you recommend for my setup,,or what do I need as far as UPGRADES rockers, springs, lifters, pushrods etc..ALSO, should I get my heads ported as well? Any tips or what have you guys done? Any advice will help and be greatly appreciated.
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
bmcc2584

Drives: orange SS LS3 6 speed
I went with a package from GPI.(Cam,pushrods,springs and retainers)
Contact Rhino79 he's very helpful and can come up with a custom grind for what you need.

Last edited by bmcc2584; 07-13-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: ...
bmcc2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Weve got a bunch of killer cam kits for FI cars and have had some great successes with our 231FI kit.

Our flagship Maggie car is overdriven, has our 231 FI kit on it, and makes 746 RWHP SAE on C16. 706 on 91.

Shoot us a call or PM if we can be of service to you. There's nothing we can't do and bang for the buck is always there when you shop with SWS.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
We have a lot of different cam packages available and can provide you with everything needed minus the tools. We sell the valve spring tool as well should you need it. We do also offer full tech support as we are not just a parts store. Feel free to call the shop or email me with any questions. Joe@cordesperformanceracing.com

Cordes performance racing "CPR" Arizona's premier LSX shop
480-359-5914
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
www.cordesracing.com
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@CPR.com View Post
We have a lot of different cam packages available and can provide you with everything needed minus the tools. We sell the valve spring tool as well should you need it. We do also offer full tech support as we are not just a parts store. Feel free to call the shop or email me with any questions. Joe@cordesperformanceracing.com

Cordes performance racing "CPR" Arizona's premier LSX shop
480-359-5914
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
www.cordesracing.com
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing

This is the type of business I want to do all my business with!

What's your take on LS3 heads.. I saw an article by Chevy HP mag. The old heads or Cam question which one to do? (both if you have money lol)

They took a stock LS3 on the dyno not in the car took cast manifold off added headers and a manual system for TB to control throttle.. the heads made about 5 hp and 7 torque more over the entire band.. then they did a cam swap and picked up 60 something HP and a bit more torque... they then put on the PROComp heads and only maybe picked up 6 hp more and and little if no torque.

The LS3 heads prove to flow great out of the box and a cam is the better choice..

this is out the door of course when forced induction introduced..

So the question is LS3 CNC heads for 1192.00 vs 2400.00 heads I see all of the net.. if the GMPP heads will be with in 10 hP of a 2400 set..Does it make sense? And not talking about thicker material to run more boost or NOS.. just stock bottom end and daily driver with 650 RWHP +/- 20 hp in mind.. Or is there going to be more HP difference?

Also what about the eldelbrock heads worth it?
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-heater View Post
Just need some advice and good cam packages recommended this way. I have a tvs2300 on my 2010 SS ls3. Making 550 to the wheels. But want to step it up a little more. What is a good blower cam package that would come with everything I need. I dont want anything with a rough idle,maybe mild but not radical. What would you recommend for my setup,,or what do I need as far as UPGRADES rockers, springs, lifters, pushrods etc..ALSO, should I get my heads ported as well? Any tips or what have you guys done? Any advice will help and be greatly appreciated.
BTR PD Blower cam.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
This is the type of business I want to do all my business with!

What's your take on LS3 heads.. I saw an article by Chevy HP mag. The old heads or Cam question which one to do? (both if you have money lol)

They took a stock LS3 on the dyno not in the car took cast manifold off added headers and a manual system for TB to control throttle.. the heads made about 5 hp and 7 torque more over the entire band.. then they did a cam swap and picked up 60 something HP and a bit more torque... they then put on the PROComp heads and only maybe picked up 6 hp more and and little if no torque.

The LS3 heads prove to flow great out of the box and a cam is the better choice..

this is out the door of course when forced induction introduced..

So the question is LS3 CNC heads for 1192.00 vs 2400.00 heads I see all of the net.. if the GMPP heads will be with in 10 hP of a 2400 set..Does it make sense? And not talking about thicker material to run more boost or NOS.. just stock bottom end and daily driver with 650 RWHP +/- 20 hp in mind.. Or is there going to be more HP difference?

Also what about the eldelbrock heads worth it?
In our experience the best heads for the money to do on an ls3 car w/ a cam would be advanced induction, we have routinely seen them pick up 30-40 rwhp w/ a cam in the 230 range (something that could use it) with a smaller cam hp/$$ it's not really worth it. Also factor in AI charges $995 for their CNC port job and they have a great value for the money. OEM ls3 heads do great when worked over, our own personal tech has a 416 ls3 w/ oem ls3 heads ported, high compression, and is making 600 rwhp through an auto and a 9''. The only reason to go aftermarket ls3 heads imo is when you are doing a 6 bolt block for high boost setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
BTR PD Blower cam.
he does nice stuff too.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Nxpress

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LE
I have a BTR PD stage 3 blower cam in mine... very happy with it - lots of good choices out there
Nxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
camaro-heater

Sorry to sound like an idiot but what does the acronym BTR PD stand for...
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-heater View Post
Sorry to sound like an idiot but what does the acronym BTR PD stand for...
Brian Tooley Racing Positive Displacement
Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
camaro-heater

TheMeat, thank you