Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
CFrance

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2013 LS
Angry Sad night for the camaro... what do I do now?

Last night I was driving down a highway around 7pm and I went to change lanes from the right lane to the left lane doing about 65.

Just as my passenger side tires were crossing the line dividing the lanes, I hit something (didn't see what it was) and could hear it go down the side of my car . I was hoping it sounded worse then it was and didn't stop to see what the damage was or what I even hit. There was still quite a bit of traffic so I figured it would be hard to find whatever it was.

Well I got home and pulled my car into the garage to look at it and the damage was way worse then I was hoping for. I only saw the mark by the rear tire last night, didn't notice the one on the door til this morning.

So my question is, what do I do now? What are your thoughts? I drove a 91 eclipse before this so if anything like this would have happened I would've left so I am wondering should I talk to my insurance? Is there anything they can do? Or do I just need to go to a body shop and pay out of my own pocket?
Attached Images

CFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
First thing I would do is call my insurance company to see what my options were. You can decide if you want to file a claim after you know what your options are, what your deductible is and how much the damage is going to cost to fix.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
CamaroRyan

Drives: 11' Camaro LS (Black)
Im assuming you hit a car.

With that being said your lucky you dont have a ticket or anything to deal with. I would need to see pictures before i would say go though the insurance or not. I recomend you go to a body shop. Get a quote (which should be free). If the damage exceeds 1,000. Then go with the insurance. Anything less and your better off paying for it yourself because your rate will go up if you go with the insurance.
CamaroRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
First thing I would do is call my insurance company to see what my options were. You can decide if you want to file a claim after you know what your options are, what your deductible is and how much the damage is going to cost to fix.
Thanks! I just uploaded pics.... I am suppose to drive down to Portland, OR right after work today from Olympia, WA for the weekend, should I make time to call then today or will it matter if it waits til Monday? Like I said I am new to the whole nice car thing lol
Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Sorry to see this! Good luck on the fix!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
CamaroRyan

Drives: 11' Camaro LS (Black)
Just saw the pictures... Go through the insurance lol
CamaroRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle33

Drives: 2010 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRyan View Post

With that being said your lucky you dont have a ticket or anything to deal with. I would need to see pictures before i would say go though the insurance or not. I recomend you go to a body shop. Get a quote (which should be free). If the damage exceeds 1,000. Then go with the insurance. Anything less and your better off paying for it yourself because your rate will go up if you go with the insurance.
I hope if a car was hit it would be pretty obvious! I think there'd be a little more damage than two dings.
AmericanMuscle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRyan View Post

It wasn't a car lol I was going from the right lane to the left lane (there are only two lanes) and the damage is on the passenger side, so unless someone started passing me on the right shoulder while I was changing lanes then got over into me.... that doesn't make sense haha not trying to be rude, just saying but thanks for the info! I really appreciate it
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Thanks! I just uploaded pics.... I am suppose to drive down to Portland, OR right after work today from Olympia, WA for the weekend, should I make time to call then today or will it matter if it waits til Monday? Like I said I am new to the whole nice car thing lol
I would say call today so it won't be on your mind for the weekend. Plus you'll know your next step.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Considering that's right in your blind spot are you sure it wasn't another car?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Oops nevermind our posts basically crossed.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
When an accident involves property damage or physical injury and you want to file a claim you notify your insurance company. It should say that right on your insurance card.

Since you didn't see what it was you should have stopped when safe to do so and checked. It could have been anything. A car, a pedestrian, a garbage can, an alien...You don't want to get charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
40years

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS Hyper Blue Met.
My best guess is that you hit a blown out tire from a semi. Those "night gators" are everywhere. Depending on your deductable, you may just want to pay out of pocket.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
First thing to do is to go to a few body shops and get estimates then check to see what the collision deductible is, then you will know if you can afford to fix it yourself or if you want to go through your insurance. If it goes through the insurance it might wind up on a carfax,which could hurt you later if you decide to sell or trade the car. If you pay for it yourself it probably will not.

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote