Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #29
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..to the OP, I haven't seen one person say hell yeah I'm first in line to get this sucker.....wooooowhoooooooooo! Not like the ZL1....no band wagon, no excitement, no Black Friday at Walmart 4 AM line..., it's the MSRP. And we get it..we know what it has, we know what it can do....but I am bummed....I am not from Mars <maybe>, I have seen it all, there are expectations, <real or deluded> but the core Z/28 fans died a little bit with that announcement. Just sayin....we have arrived to the next level folks. And we knew it was coming.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #30

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Poor man's Z/28....It'll do at the track for now....If replaced, it would be a Z/28 for sure...

Attached Images

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #31
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Great thread. I'm working on my poor man's Z/28 as well, LOL. Holy cow, look at the size of that...
Attached Images

Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #32

....So...Was there some new, big news from the auction about tracking, "racing" (?) the Z/28?....

Is this what some were speculating "may" occur, and now it has?...Or is it just "racing" done by the factory....(Sorry, I didn't quite catch what that was all about, thanks).....
Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
....So...Was there some new, big news from the auction about tracking, "racing" (?) the Z/28?....

Is this what some were speculating "may" occur, and now it has?...Or is it just "racing" done by the factory....(Sorry, I didn't quite catch what that was all about, thanks).....
Z/28.R is the same purpose built $300k-500k race car as the current one (Camaro racecar) is. Nothing to be excited or upset about. Nothing shared with street Z/28 other than "Z/28" (as with all racecars named after their production cousins for example BOSS302R/S and other Mustangs).

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #34
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yes, however every street-able car is modified to some degree for racing of whatever type. Sometimes even the rules are changed to admit a car. "The" Ford enthusiast is just way over the top in his assumptions.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #35
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Z/28.R is the same purpose built $300k-500k race car as the current one (Camaro racecar) is. Nothing to be excited or upset about. Nothing shared with street Z/28 other than "Z/28" (as with all racecars named after their production cousins for example BOSS302R/S and other Mustangs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes, however every street-able car is modified to some degree for racing of whatever type. Sometimes even the rules are changed to admit a car. "The" Ford enthusiast is just way over the top in his assumptions.
Looks like I need to prepare small appetizer portion of delicious crow for myself based upon the Stevenson testing pic posted elsewhere, the aero looks to be OE Z/28. So that is good and I suppose makes sense given the testing the engineering team put into aero.

I'll be glad and proud to eat a larger portion if the drivetrain carries over essentially intact from the street car. That would be a shock. Ok, back on topic for this thread!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #36
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Looks like I need to prepare small appetizer portion of delicious crow for myself based upon the Stevenson testing pic posted elsewhere, the aero looks to be OE Z/28. So that is good and I suppose makes sense given the testing the engineering team put into aero.

I'll be glad and proud to eat a larger portion if the drivetrain carries over essentially intact from the street car. That would be a shock. Ok, back on topic for this thread!
It'Z all good!

I think it will have the LS7 (detuned). Not the brakes (they wouldn't fit anyway).
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...to the OP, sorry, track days *period* is not the total sum of the equation. It has a VIN. Perhaps if it were like the COPO, which it is not, then your premise would be sound. We get your point, but....it still has a dual purpose use. You know what I'm sayin....
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #38
EnlighteningYou

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
I figure this is the right thread to ask in, is there any reading material on if the car is covered for track days? I see people saying the car is warrantied for racing but I haven't read anything, would it be in their warranty guide book that comes with the car?
EnlighteningYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #39
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
I figure this is the right thread to ask in, is there any reading material on if the car is covered for track days? I see people saying the car is warrantied for racing but I haven't read anything, would it be in their warranty guide book that comes with the car?
As good a thread as any to ask

It is critical to clearly understand the terminology:

The car is not warranted for "racing". Racing for the purpose of this conversation can be defined as car-to-car competition for position/place (1st,2nd,etc) or Time Trials which is car to car but is competition for lowest time (fastest lap) not position.

The car is warranted for non-competitive track days also known as HPDE, DE, PDX where the car is driven on a track with no limit to speed, for pleasure only (no prize, no lap time competition, no position competition).

This will be spelled out legally in the owners manual but has been specifically noted by many GM representatives in the media (print and videos). I've had email contact with a GM rep who is well known specifically stating non-racing track coverage for mechanical failure.

Same coverage as publicly stated for ZL1 track use.

Last edited by Zfatuated; 01-20-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #40

Quote:
As good a thread as any to ask

It is critical to clearly understand the terminology:

The car is not warranted for "racing". Racing for the purpose of this conversation can be defined as car-to-car competition for position/place (1st,2nd,etc) or Time Trials which is car to car but is competition for lowest time (fastest lap) not position.

The car is warranted for non-competitive track days also known as HPDE, DE, PDX where the car is driven on a track with no limit to speed, for pleasure only (no prize, no lap time competition, no position competition).

This will be spelled out legally in the owners manual but has been specifically noted by many GM representatives in the media (print and videos). I've had email contact with a GM rep who is well known specifically stating non-racing track coverage for mechanical failure.

Same coverage as publicly stated for ZL1 track use.
Interesting....always wonder about this....even "non-racing" events still post lap times, in order, sort of like a "first place to last place" list...a faster lap time gets you placed towards the front of your run group...kind of makes it "competitive".....lol...

seems "racing" could be not totally clearly defined....or subject to interpretation....maybe not so bad for mechanical warranty as opposed (and hopefully not confused) with insurance and liability...lol....
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #41
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Interesting....always wonder about this....even "non-racing" events still post lap times, in order, sort of like a "first place to last place" list...a faster lap time gets you placed towards the front of your run group...kind of makes it "competitive".....lol...

seems "racing" could be not totally clearly defined....or subject to interpretation....maybe not so bad for mechanical warranty as opposed (and hopefully not confused) with insurance and liability...lol....
An event host publicly displaying timing sheets runs the risk of causing their attendees track collision insurance (if they have it) to be voided. I understand exactly what you are referring to, for example Speed Ventures does that. It's still an HPDE event as the times are not for the explicit purpose of scoring a competitive event. A manufacturer should understand this as well and therefore these times should not affect warranty.

Cars in a Time Attack type event where cars run explicitly competitively for time would usually not be covered by warranty. Maybe you get lucky and the dealer covers it, but the door is open for a decline.

In regards to insurance (vs warranty): Anyone driving their car on a "racing surface" for any reason would be strongly advised to contact their insurance agent beforehand or to plan on being self-insured from the moment they do until they leave the "surface". There are a couple insurance companies who explicitly cover HPDE events such as Lockton-Affinity.

Someone will want to argue this but the 99% true fact is, unless your insurance extends incredible one-time goodwill, street insurance will not cover on-track crash damage.

None of this should a grey area for a given event when subjected to objective consideration, it should be easy and straightforward for a driver to determine what kind of risk he is subjecting himself to for a given event. An on-track crash, not covered by insurance, of a financed car can be a catastrophically life changing event. Don't trust internet know-it-alls, do your homework.

I've personally done over 100 track days with a variety of hosts and I've hosted my own events so what I write is from that perspective.

Last edited by Zfatuated; 01-20-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #42
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
An event host publicly displaying timing sheets runs the risk of causing their attendees track collision insurance (if they have it) to be voided. I understand exactly what you are referring to, for example Speed Ventures does that. It's still an HPDE event as the times are not for the explicit purpose of scoring a competitive event. A manufacturer should understand this as well and therefore these times should not affect warranty.

Cars in a Time Attack type event where cars run explicitly competitively for time would usually not be covered by warranty. Maybe you get lucky and the dealer covers it, but the door is open for a decline.

In regards to insurance (vs warranty): Anyone driving their car on a "racing surface" for any reason would be strongly advised to contact their insurance agent beforehand or to plan on being self-insured from the moment they do until they leave the "surface". There are a couple insurance companies who explicitly cover HPDE events such as Lockton-Affinity.

Someone will want to argue this but the 99% true fact is, unless your insurance extends incredible one-time goodwill, street insurance will not cover on-track crash damage.

None of this should a grey area for a given event when subjected to objective consideration, it should be easy and straightforward for a driver to determine what kind of risk he is putting himself into for a given event. An on-track crash, not covered by insurance, of a financed car can be a catastrophically life changing event. Don't trust internet know-it-alls, do your homework.

I've personally done over 100 track days with a variety of hosts and I've hosted my own events so what I write is from that perspective.
Superior advice.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote