Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Teddydog

Drives: ABM 2LT M6 RS
R & I intake plenum when changing the spark plugs? And oil ingestion question

I'm going to be handling the spark plug replacement myself, but I did get some shop quotes for the job as well.

One of the quotes included a gasket for the intake plenum and labor for "R & I" of the plenum while doing the plug change. Is this standard, customary or suggested when doing the plugs at 100,000? How much of a job is this?

I was thinking about pulling it anyway to check the state of oil ingestion, so it is good to know. I am planning to put in an oil catch can and to use combustion chamber cleaner on the engine as well.

Speaking of which... If I am doing the combustion chamber cleaning (like Seafoam, but I'll actually be using Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaning spray), should I do that BEFORE I put in those brand new plugs?

Order of work thoughts:

Remove intake plenum, clean and inspect. Reinstall.
Install Vararam CAI
Install oil catch can
Use MCCC (this involves letting it sit/soak for 2 hours then driving to full operating temp)
Change plugs

Thoughts on the order?

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
BumbleBeeV62011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
No need to remove the plenum to replace plugs. I replaced the plugs in mine in about 30 minutes using only hand tools. I would suggest using any cleaner before replacing spark plugs, just to be sure the new plugs don't get fouled.
The order of work to be done seems fine. If you are planning to use a cleaner that you spray into the plenum and allow it to soak, I wouldn't bother removing the plenum. Just my thought
BumbleBeeV62011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Teddydog

My thoughts on cleaning the plenum manually before using the ingested cleaner:

--100,000 miles without a catch can
--clean what I can from the plenum before reduces the amount of "crud" that needs to be dissolved by the cleaner and burned
--I know it isn't necessary for changing the plugs, but was wondering why one shop specified doing it at the time of the plug replacemnts
--I would only do it myself if it is an easy, straightforward job that has some benefit.

I should top this off by saying that I'm not noticing any issues with how my car runs. I just drove to Portland and back and checked my pure highway mileage. Down, the open-highway portion of the trip was 115 miles and I clocked 28.6 mpg. Coming home, it was 117 miles and I clocked 29.5 mpg. Cruise set at 71 both ways. More traffic on the return trip.

Rob
Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
BumbleBeeV62011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
My thoughts on cleaning the plenum manually before using the ingested cleaner:

--100,000 miles without a catch can
--clean what I can from the plenum before reduces the amount of "crud" that needs to be dissolved by the cleaner and burned
--I know it isn't necessary for changing the plugs, but was wondering why one shop specified doing it at the time of the plug replacemnts
--I would only do it myself if it is an easy, straightforward job that has some benefit.

Rob
Your thought process is understandable. I have about 160k miles on my LLT with no catch can. Surprisingly, I don't have much oil build up. Regardless, I would still recommend a good cleaning. As I said before, I prefer to run the cleaners through it before replacing the spark plugs. It can't hurt to remove the plenum and clean, but it isn't necessary. I don't know why a shop would quote labor time to remove the plenum in order to replace the plugs. I'm fairly certain they won't take the time to clean the plenum by hand.
You should have no problem doing the job yourself. It is very straightforward. All you need to do is remove the engine cover, remove the coils using a 10mm and unplugging the connector. All you need after that is a spark plug socket and extension. I replaced my spark plugs using basic tools in about 30 minutes
Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Teddydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeV62011 View Post
Your thought process is understandable. I have about 160k miles on my LLT with no catch can. Surprisingly, I don't have much oil build up. Regardless, I would still recommend a good cleaning.
Did you use Seafoam or another "internal" cleaner on your LLT?

Rob
Old 09-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
BumbleBeeV62011

I just used seafoam. I put a can in the tank and also used the spray in the intake tube. It's easy to use and seems to be effective. I know the neighbors came out to figure out where the smoke was coming from lol