Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
wasker

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
How to minimize chances of destroying brakes on track day?

Hey all,

Took my car (2LT auto '15) to the track last week - ended up with $1000+ bill to replace drums and brake fluid. That's not the first time happening (although, probably the most expensive one so far).

Any recommendations on what can I do to minimize chances of this happening after the next track day?

I'm looking at Phastek's selection - slotted/drilled drums, ceramic pads, 6 pistons vs 4. Is this worth it? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks!
wasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I hope you didn't pay for drums because your car has disc brakes on all 4 wheels!

On the V6, your brakes will definitely be your weakest link. I tend to like Phastek's parts and they don't sell junk. I don't think you will need 6 piston brakes though. 4 piston calipers, with pads and new brake brake fluid will be fine.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
wasker

Any recommendations on "high-performance" brake fluid, which doesn't go bad under harsh braking?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: not stock
You need to read up a lot more and educate yourself if you think you had your drum brakes replaced. There are plenty of threads about brakes on here and picking whats right for tracking. Much of your selection depends on budget and ultimate goal for the vehicle. Castrol SRF is the best fluid there is.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasker View Post
Hey all,

Took my car (2LT auto '15) to the track last week - ended up with $1000+ bill to replace drums and brake fluid. That's not the first time happening (although, probably the most expensive one so far).

Any recommendations on what can I do to minimize chances of this happening after the next track day?

I'm looking at Phastek's selection - slotted/drilled drums, ceramic pads, 6 pistons vs 4. Is this worth it? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks!
Exactly what kinds of damage and/or wear happened?

For track day/HPDE use, I'd avoid everybody's cross-drilled rotors and every performance-street level and lower ceramic pad.

Norm
Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS and Twin Turbo'd SRT8
If you go 6 piston an want a good budget rotor look at the CTS-V rotor.
1LE Front with DSE Links and Rear Sway Bars, Splitter, 3.91 Gears with 1LE Axles, 14/15 Heat extractor in a 13 1LE hood, 1LE shocks and struts,1LE Suede Flat bottom Steering wheel restitched in orange, Factory Hurst short throw shifter with the Pegasus rear poly shifter mount, ZL1 Rockers, Belly Pan and pedals, Z/28 Intake, Skip Shift eliminator, 1LE diffuser with dual mode mufflers, Z/28 headers and Cats, 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, C7 Z06 Vented Piston Calipers and CTS-V Rotors, PAFDT Solid Cradle bushing, Z/28 Toe Rods and UCA Bushings.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
I ran brand new stock pads and 40k rotors at my first hpde event. I did upgrade to Mogul 600 and stainless steel braided lines for that event and I was fine slowing my 2lt RS auto down around Sebring which is hard on brakes.

The second time out I upgraded to Cadillac ATS Brembo 4 piston fronts, Hawk Hp Plus on the fronts only, and R1Concepts slotted rotors on all 4 corners. Rear pads remained stock. Braking was much better and no issues. You can look up my profile and find my thread with all this build info.

Did you allow your brakes to properly cool? I drive around the paddock for about 5 minutes before parking it and that is after the cool down lap we take. Then I move my car slightly every 10 min for a while to not allow the remaining heat in the pads to cover one single area of the rotor for an extended period of time. Again, not one issue.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; IPF ECU and TCU Tune; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, R1 Concepts Premier Series Geomet Slotted Rotors; Cadillac ATS Brembo Calipers

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
What did they do for $1000+ ? Who worked on the car?

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
wasker

Hey guys,

I appreciate responses and recommendations! I'll follow up the build thread - very good stuff!

Let me address couple of questions...

RE: $1000+ - front and rear pads replaced and rotors resurfaced, brake fluid changed. It was done at dealership, so the price is not surprising.

RE: damage - I went longer than I was supposed to, on track without break. I usually do 20 mins of driving followed by 20 mins of cooling off, but this time I started off with probably 40 mins on track, did a few more 20-minute sessions, but at the end skipped on cooling. Again, no surprises.

Thanks for the tips on cooling between sessions - I usually simply let it sit for 20 mins, but I can see how some moving around could help...

Thanks a lot! Sorry for me being late with replies.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:05 AM   #10
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
I have been upgrading my brakes on my V6 slowly since I bought my car. I use DOT 4 fluid, currently have the 4 pot Brembos from an ATS (like Silent... I'd listen to his advise!) and recently put on SS rear Brembos. With my stock calipers I literally fried my EBC brake pads to a crisp after a 3 track days, and realized that those were not the brakes for me! I now have new brakes and new gloves too.

In your position I would consider getting brake ducts to keep them cool and calipers and rotors that will dissipate the heat better. There are a lot of people on the forum selling their brakes from SS or better, I'd wait for a good deal on some second hand Brembos and to the swap. It is relatively easy and there are a lot of very detailed how-to posts. In the end you would probably save you money.

The ATS calipers use the same rotors you have now and weigh a lot less, the SS calipers weigh about 1lb less than stock but the rotors are massive.

Hope this helps guide you in the direction that works best for you.
Attached Images

rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
wasker

@rocknroll_jeph - wow, thanks a lot for advice! Great info for me!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Quote:
@rocknroll_jeph - wow, thanks a lot for advice! Great info for me!
We are all here to help each other. Keep us posted on your progress and decisions!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #13
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
You definitely don't want any one spot of your rotors to get to hot compared to another. I've seen it on here before that people recommend driving around the paddock for a while at slow speeds to just keep the air flowing around them and allowing them to cool evenly. Wherever the pads are in comparison to the rotor is where the rotor will continue to be hotter than the rest of the rotor.

And like Jeff stated, we're all here to help. He was a tremendous help to me for the Cadillac ATS front caliper upgrade, along with many others.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; IPF ECU and TCU Tune; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, R1 Concepts Premier Series Geomet Slotted Rotors; Cadillac ATS Brembo Calipers

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #14
Zl1dad

Drives: 2013 zl1
Quote:
Any recommendations on "high-performance" brake fluid, which doesn't go bad under harsh braking?
Castrol SRF . Wet boiling point over 500°F.
It's like 80 a litre. You will need 2

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote