Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Camaro_SS_323
NativeStreetMachine

Drives: 2013 Red 1LE
Angry My Horror Story

About a year ago my so called top of the line Brembo brakes on my 2010 2SS Camaro started squealing. I have don't countless thing trying to get them fixed. My first attempt was to take it to Smoky Mountain Chevrolet and get the problem diagnosed. All they told me was that i would have to get my rotors turned and pads replaced. All I asked for was for them to sand the pads and turn the rotors. They did this work on my car and charged me around 350. This in turn did not fix the problem so this would be blamed on me since I did not follow the directions. Later on , about four months I believe, I actually bought new pads and got the rotors turned. Apparently this also would not really fix the problem. Later on Chevrolet customer assistance stepped in and I was compliant with the requests they made. They asked me for basic information on my car and to set up an appointment with the same dealership that had originally diagnosed the problem. After awhile I finally had enough time to schedule the appointment, about a month or two ago. All the appointment was just a clear diagnosis so the Chevrolet customer assistance rep would know exactly what was going on and nothing else. I went to the appointment turned in my key and I went and looked around for awhile. Before I had realized it an hour went by so I went back to see what was up. When I went to the service desk the clerk told me that they diagnosed it and all i needed was to get my pads done and that they were doing the work on the car since it was already on the lift. I had no knowledge what so ever prior to going back to the desk. They done this work on my car without permission and when they called me back to pick up my car they had charged me sixty-seven dollars for work I did not even want. I paid the bill and left and as soon as I got to the stop sign right below the dealer my brakes started squealing immediately. So after an hour I lost sixty-seven dollars and still had squealing brakes. I called the GM rep to let her know what had happened and all she told me was that she would report what happened and that there was not nothing else she could really do. I figured after something like that GM would replace the brakes and rotors for free to fix the problem but she said she could not do nothing more and hung up. It makes me feel really good about GM since they treat certain customers like this. My cars brakes still squeal horribly to this day and I do not think I will ever take my car back to Smokey Mountain Chevrolet ever again.
Camaro_SS_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Sorry to hear about your problems. What I want to know is, why wasn't all of this work done under warranty? When I had squealing brake issues on my 2010 they replaced the pads 4 times, the rotors twice, and the calipers once. All that was done under warranty.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Camaro_SS_323
NativeStreetMachine

I have like almost 40k miles on mine. and this whole thing took course of over 9 months and when i started the process I think i might have had 24k or 25k maybe I can't really remember
Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I also do not understand why you are spending money on something that should be covered under warranty. You have an issue that is clearly a problem and the dealer is charging you to repair it, then you go and start throwing new parts at it yourself. Now they can say you caused the problem by putting new brake pads in. Good luck in getting this resolved.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I keep seeing this as a reoccuring problem. Has anyone tracked down why this happens?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Camaro_SS_323
NativeStreetMachine

I only bought parts myself because the dealership was not helping at all. I had taken it there for a number of things including the PDIM software and the mechanic was an asshole because I told him he did not fix it. <--- do not ever do this is will cause the mechanic to brake red haha
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
The Stig

Have you tried going to a different dealership?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Brembo brakes squeek. It's a known fact. Search around the forum and you will see people talking about this same exact thing.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Brembo brakes squeek. It's a known fact. Search around the forum and you will see people talking about this same exact thing.
True, but that doesn't mean it's a mute problem. My 2010 got filed as a lemon because of brake squeal.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
Camaro_SS_323
NativeStreetMachine

The only people that say "they just squeal" are the people that actually have gotten help and gotten it to stop. Ive tried a lot of times and have not gotten any help at all. I have a question for you TheHorse13, when yours squeals or squeaks is it just for a few seconds? When mine does it i can be coming to a stop for at least 30 yards and it will do it the whole way.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
M-SS

Drives: Camaro SS 2010
This problem is killing me too 2 times to the dealar already still the squeal is there, i ordered HWK ceramic pads hoping they will help !!!!

good luck and pls update us

M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. What I want to know is, why wasn't all of this work done under warranty? When I had squealing brake issues on my 2010 they replaced the pads 4 times, the rotors twice, and the calipers once. All that was done under warranty.
SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
These are performance brakes. They will squeal some, I will not tell you to search but this was covered over 2 years ago. The best move is to buy Hawk HPS pads as the are a Ceramic type pad and cut the squeal and dust down alot. They are still dirtier than Hawk Ceramics but they stop better and are what alot of us have moved to.

I will be putting them on mine when my pads are about shot.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
These are performance brakes. They will squeal some, I will not tell you to search but this was covered over 2 years ago.
The front Brembo brakes have had several iterations to address squeal. The first was stick on wheel weights. The second was 'roller skate' weights. The weights add mass to the caliper to alter the harmonics of the assembly.

Brake pad squeal is common in high performance brake pads. The more aggressive the pads, the more they squeal. The more aggressive the pads, the better they stop. The more agressive the pads, the more dirt they create. The OE pads on the SS are quite good. In our initial track testing of the SS we were very impressed with how well they performed. Lap after lap they did well. To put this in perspective when we tested a 2011 Mustang with the Brembo upgrade the brales lasted on 1.5 hot laps on the same track. We cooked the Mustang brakes in 1.5 laps.

Do the OE Brembo Brakes squeal. Yes they do.
Are they defective. Not in my opinion. They are very good brakes for a performance car.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote