Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #85
valoridian

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Does anyone have an update on this issue? Here's my story.

I wish I had known about not trusting the Chevy oil change schedule years ago, so I could have avoided this issue...

My car threw the P008 code at 53,000 miles, sometime around May 2017. I don't drive the car a lot (short commute!) and I've changed the oil per the car's "Oil Life" monitor. Had I known the oil life monitor was calibrated poorly (which is the reason for the recall on other vehicles with the same engine), we would have had it changed more often.

I took the car to the Chevrolet Dealership in Novato for them to to diagnose the check engine light. They confirmed that it is the P0008 code, and estimate that it will cost about $2600 to replace the timing chains.

The Camaro is out of warranty by about 2 years. The dealership I bought the car from would not offer me an extended warranty to purchase (and went out of business within months of my purchase in 2009).

I've tried dealing with GM Customer Assistance to help cover the cost of this repair:
1) The same repair is covered by a recall on other GM vehicles.
2) The car is at 53,000 miles for a part that was warrantied up to 100,000.

They took 3 to 4 weeks to respond to my request for assistance, and eventually called me to say "No" to my request because the car was out of warranty. I know it was out of warranty!! That's the exact reason I called GM Customer Assistance, otherwise I would just take it to the dealer to have it fixed.

I need to go back to Chevy Novato to see if they will help me with the cost of the repair, maybe they will take mercy on me.

I'm also going to contact the President of the customer service department about my issue and experience with his department, as it was a complete waste of my time.

I've seen people talking about filing a Class Action lawsuit for this issue on these and other Camaro forums - any luck with this?

At this point, my heart is broken. The Camaro I have loved for many years has turned out to be a LEMON, and GM is not doing anything about it.

It's likely that I'll be ditching the Camaro (whether or not I have to pay to fix it first), and never, ever purchasing a GM product again.

Any help or advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated!
valoridian is offline   Reply With Quote