Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #29
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd15 View Post
Even though I am pretty sure mine is from a rock chip, I'd be interested in seeing that bulletin.
me too... Pilkington didnt JUST start making windshields..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #30
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I replaced one in my truck and the glass company absorbed the 50 dollar deductible so it cost me 0. I believe insurance usually wants to fix the windshields so it wont cause you to wreck and cost them even more
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #31
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Safelite repaired mine - the crack was slighty smaller than a dollar bill. 190 bucks. The installer told me to call back anytime request a new windshield be installed for an additional 300. I might put a new one in after winter.

holy hell!!!! 190.00 for a crack repair????????? damn thats alot. Here we charge 70.00 for a crack repair, but i would rather see my customers put that 70.00 towards a new windshield rather than driving around with a repaired crack that almost never holds.
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #32
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I'm actually interested in having mine replaced, not because I have chips or anything but I have areas that are distorted to hell on the glass and looking through these areas make the outside look wavy.

That should be covered under factory warranty there T-Squared.

BTW, I'm 42 and my fingers can't keep up with those snot-nosed 12 year olds with Bionic fingers in HALO. How the @#$% can I survive more than 6 seconds or even get a kill???
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #33
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
If you have AAA you can save some $$$ through them.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #34
ShoGunZek

Drives: SIM M6 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan69 View Post
Hello, the GM part in the car now is a Pilkington piece of glass. The aftermarket Pilkington part is the exact same piece of glass except it does not have the GM logo on it. I suggest using the aftermarket Pilkington glass. Other aftermarket pieces of glass are fine to use and are made to the same OE specs, but there are differences such as, Safelite they make there own glass, and in my opinion is crap (lamination flaws, dirt between the glass, poor quality ect) PPG/PGW great glass usually no problems, laminex same problems as Safelite, anyways i could go on and on. Like i said they all have to pass the same tests, but in my opinion Pilkington is the best, and that is why i typically only install Pilkington in my customers cars.

here are the pics of the OE glass in the car and the aftermarket Pilkington.

i charge 399.00 installed for non remote start, and 399.00 with remote start. DW01814 GT Y is remote start, and DW01813 GT Y is without. if you have insurance and a low deductible it is worth while for you to go through your insurance. typically your rates will not be affected if you have not had a bunch of claims in the last 2-3 years.
I got the same thing. The Pilkington glass but without the GM logo. I had a rock hit my windshield. I paid $336 for a remote location repair...
ShoGunZek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #35
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORJAK View Post
I live in South Louisiana, broken windshields are a way of life. I have mine replaced EVERTIME I get a crack, at Safelite. In my pickups I averaged 2 a year. I have 0 deductable on Comp, so they cost me nothing. My rates have never gone up (for replacing glass).

Talk to your agent.
Crappiest roads in the nation! High five!

I have a $500 deductible anyway, so I'm still going to have to pay for it out of pocket.

I got the windshield in my old car replaced at ExpressGlass (I think they're local) and they did a pretty bad job, but it was really cheap (~$160). The rearview mirror wasn't remounted correctly and when the car was on, the mirror vibrated and shook pretty badly. Also, I once got a tire on my Camaro plugged at a local repair shop called Winner's Circle, and the a**clown that drove my car onto the lift opened my door into something. The owner of the shop paid to have it fixed, but he had a passive-aggressive attitude about it. So yeah, I'm hesitant about getting this done anywhere but the dealership.
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #36
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

the dealership will have a glass shop come in and do the work. they will not do it themselves. usually dealerships whore out the work to the cheapest shop to do the work. just so you know.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #37
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
the dealership will have a glass shop come in and do the work. they will not do it themselves. usually dealerships whore out the work to the cheapest shop to do the work. just so you know.
+1 experienced that first hand
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGunZek View Post
I got the same thing. The Pilkington glass but without the GM logo. I had a rock hit my windshield. I paid $336 for a remote location repair...
Who did you use? I may give them a call...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #39
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Quote:
edit: just read your post again so it has the GM logo? thgat means they ordered it from GM. congrats on that because Safelite usually insists you use there glass.
It was all set up by the Insurance though, and I told them that was what I wanted. I checked it, and yes the logo is there. I think they have the contract with the insurance company (Geico) as their remote installer, but the choice is up to the customer I guess. So I technically never contacted Safelite myself, only contact with them was made by Geico. Most people might not even mention anything, and just request a replacement, and then they get Safelite aftermarket. Not sure about that.
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #40
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

safelite is there 3rd party billing guys, and the insurance companys always try to stear you to them which is B.S.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #41
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Quote:
safelite is there 3rd party billing guys, and the insurance companys always try to stear you to them which is B.S.
Most people don't know they have a choice. But then again, the average consumer doesn't know why they shouldn't want certain glass places to change their windshield.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #42
justin2fast4u

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipdistefano View Post
I have no idea which forum this goes under, so sorry in advance.

Yesterday I heard something hit my car on the way to work, and when I got there, I got out and inspected where the sound came from and couldn't find a thing. Today, I got in my car and there was a crack coming from the bottom of the windshield where it's tinted opaque black. It's too far gone to get it filled with resin. :(

So, does anyone know how much it costs to get a new windshield (a real GM one, not some cheap, thin knockoff)?

Thanks in advance.
check with your dealer first and see if you can get a free windshield like i did, they said there was a bulliten about the windshields on the gm website, like a small recall and i got a brand new windshield at no cost to me
justin2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote