Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Putting in OEM Leather Interior Questions

So I got some OEM leather interior seats (front and back) from another forum member and I'm gonna install it this weekend I think. I have a 1LT/RS so just swapping up to OEM leather interior. I have a few questions if anyone has done anything like this:

How hard will it be as a first time interior install?

When disabling the airbags, How long should I have the battery unplugged for before messing with the seats?

Do I need adhesive (like 3M spray or anything)? I have hog-rings and hog-ring pliers.

How hard is it to transfer airbags from my old seats to the new ones?

Any advice from those who have done it or things I might have missed?

I'll try to make a DIY thread after I'm done because I can't find any in that section.

Last edited by MikeL; 06-10-2011 at 06:18 PM.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
So I got some OEM leather interior from another forum member and I'm gonna install it this weekend I think. I have a 1LT/RS so just swapping up to OEM leather interior. I have a few questions if anyone has done anything like this:

What leather pieces are you installing? That makes all the difference. I'm guessing steering wheel, shifter, seats, and armrest
When disabling the airbags, How long should I have the battery unplugged for before messing with the seats?
When I swapped out my steering wheel I waited 20 minutes for the "excess" power to drain off. Some people say that you don't need to wait that long, but I'm a fan of playing it safe.

Do I need adhesive (like 3M spray or anything)? I have hog-rings and hog-ring pliers.
You shouldn't, but I need to know what you're installing

The airbag is on the seat not on the cover so it shouldn't be too hard. You just have to unclip one or two wiring harnesses.

You will at some point get really frustrated and start cursing. I don't know when this is going to happen, but it will. Don't feel bad, we all have moments like that.

I'll try to make a DIY thread after I'm done because I can't find any in that section.
Answers are in red
Old 06-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
MikeL

It's just Front Seats and Back Seat.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Make sure to remove the airbag fuses also. There is backup reserve power to the airbags even with the battery disconnected. No specific time on the battery, just disconnect and remove all the airbag fuses.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Make sure to remove the airbag fuses also. There is backup reserve power to the airbags even with the battery disconnected. No specific time on the battery, just disconnect and remove all the airbag fuses.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
sliverice
Account Suspended

Drives: SLIVERICE
Quote:
So I got some OEM leather interior from another forum member and I'm gonna install it this weekend I think. I have a 1LT/RS so just swapping up to OEM leather interior. I have a few questions if anyone has done anything like this:

you are going to go threw all this trouble for seats. what you spent on this and your time. you could have got a ss wow
sliverice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverice View Post
you are going to go threw all this trouble for seats. what you spent on this and your time. you could have got a ss wow
OTD? Not even close. My car was $26k MSRP, OTD about $29K. For a 1SS OTD would be probably around $35K. So a weekend worth of work, $5-6K? I wish I got paid that well. Also my reasoning for a V6 is I'm under 25, insurance would kill me on a SS even with a clean record, and I mean clean.. no tickets/accidents at all.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
sliverice
Account Suspended

Drives: SLIVERICE
ok good luck with your mod
sliverice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverice View Post
ok good luck with your mod
Thanks, hopefully it turns out well.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
ss

Quote:
Thanks, hopefully it turns out well.
hey man , i would have offered my help but tomorrow is the graduation party for my kid so cant do it ,good luck anyway !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
hey man , i would have offered my help but tomorrow is the graduation party for my kid so cant do it ,good luck anyway !
Congrats to your son/daughter! Thanks for the offer to help! I appreciate it a lot .
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
chevyk1

Drives: CGM Camaro 1Lt
this is one of the few mods that are on my to do list. Really want suede sears but if found a good price on the leather would do that. Keep us posted on how it goes.
chevyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
MikeL

I might hold off unless I can get some help, the rear bolts on for my back seats are being difficult. First off I'm worried about stripping them as I seem to be slipping a lot, although I have the right size socket for them. Also I got one fairly loose then it started to get super tight again, which usually means pressure is being applied by an upward force on the screw, but I couldn't change it. I just don't feel comfortable possibly messing up these bolts on a car less then 3 weeks from the dealer lol. I will work on my other mods like short shifter and gauge pack for now. At least those don't have air bags in them...

If anyone has anymore advice I would love it, but I may just wait for the money and have it professionally installed. I got some quotes and it usually runs about $700-800, a lot of money, but it's either that or sell them to someone who would actually know how to install them and just keep my interior.