Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
StellarAuto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yeah, I didn't find a 'kit' on the web site. Thx for reply and with 10% off, good deal.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Ok so I am completely new at detailing so I have a few questions for you. I only need to buy these two products to get rid of my swirl marks? It seems easy but since I'm new, how would you describe the difficulty to someone who has never used a machine polisher? Is there a kit you sell with all the needed products plus a pc?
Okay, let me see if I can help.

Quote:
Ok so I am completely new at detailing so I have a few questions for you. I only need to buy these two products to get rid of my swirl marks?
Ultimately it depends on how deep the swirl marks or scratches are, but yes, if used with correct technique then this will be all you need. (The pads, polishes, machine, backing plate) but you would also want to pick up quality microfiber towels. Keep in mind that once you remove swirl marks, the goal is to keep from creating new ones. So proper washing gear becomes essential.

If the damage is really deep you may need to make multiple passes with the first step in order to remove them, or consider living with them, because you never want to over-thin the clear coat.

Quote:
It seems easy but since I'm new, how would you describe the difficulty to someone who has never used a machine polisher? Is there a kit you sell with all the needed products plus a pc?
It's hard for me to answer this question because I first started using a buffer in high school. If you take the time to understand the process, then it is fairly simple, although it may take a little practice to get it right.

Dual-Action Random Orbital Polishers, such as the Porter Cable shown in this thread, are really safe tools for the beginner. There is some technique involved, namely how firm to you press down on the machine (you have to add some down pressure for these machines to work), and how fast to you move your arm (slow, about 1 inch per second). But with a little patience and practice, you should be able to get great results in no time.

There is no kit right now with all of the products listed above, but we offer plenty of Porter Cable and beginner kits.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarAuto View Post
Yeah, I didn't find a 'kit' on the web site. Thx for reply and with 10% off, good deal.
Agreed! Make sure to use the code: Camaro5 for 10% off of almost everything (except for kits, drop-shipped items, and machines)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
You don't use any kind of foam pads? I get that you need one pad for the compound and one for the polish so you realy need two, but you don't reccomend foam pads?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
You don't use any kind of foam pads? I get that you need one pad for the compound and one for the polish so you realy need two, but you don't reccomend foam pads?
It's not that I don't recommend foam pads, I do. We sell 1000s of foam pads a month! We also sell over 60 brands of car care products, with Optimum being just one of many of the premium brands we carry. I wanted to highlight the latest in technology with this system.

Microfiber pads are the latest in dual-action polishing technology. Foam pads have been around since Meguiar's introduced them (some time in the early 1960's IIRC).

Foam pads are, by design, inefficient on DA polishers. (Much of the orbital motion is absorbed by the foam, like a bowl of Jello jiggling on itself). Microfiber pads, which are a newer technology for consumers (they have been used in OEM factories in Canada for a long time, in fact the F-body's were polished with them at the factory) are more efficient with a DA's movement.

I won't bore you with the details (I was part of the Meguiar's testing team that helped bring microfiber polishing pads to the market) but they really do a great job of enhancing a DA polisher works.

There is still nothing wrong with foam pads, they still work as good as they ever have, but microfiber pads (on a DA polisher) give a large amount of cutting action while still producing a great finish
Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Thanks, that does make sense. (Nice jello anology).
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
what would it be like without the soft clear just more passes or?
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
for some reason my check out cart says 89.95 for the total not 84, am i missing something?
I think its the pads, it says 16.99 and 17.98 for each pair.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Another great optimum product. Seams easy to get great results.
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #24
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
How does it work on orange peel? Some one on here has a thread about getting rid of it.
The only way to remove orange peel is to eliminate the bumps that cause it (basically taking a terrain that looks like rolling hills and making it flat). This is accomplished by using fine grades of sandpaper wrapped around a firm foam block to file the bumps down. This is not recommended on factory paint unless you are extremely skilled and the you don't plan keeping the car in the garage, maybe taking it out 1 once on the weekends.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
for some reason my check out cart says 89.95 for the total not 84, am i missing something?
I think its the pads, it says 16.99 and 17.98 for each pair.
I really wanted to try you're product, but I don't understand why don't you answered my question
Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
This is really interesting! I like the idea of the microfiber pads but I wonder how hard they are to clean? With the foam pads you just spray an all purpose cleaner on them, work it in and rinse it out. I am super anal about my microfiber towels - I use only special microfiber detergent and Dreft . . . so how do you maintain the microfiber pads? How long do they take to dry back out for another use? Thanks Todd!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #27
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
This is really interesting! I like the idea of the microfiber pads but I wonder how hard they are to clean? With the foam pads you just spray an all purpose cleaner on them, work it in and rinse it out. I am super anal about my microfiber towels - I use only special microfiber detergent and Dreft . . . so how do you maintain the microfiber pads? How long do they take to dry back out for another use? Thanks Todd!
MF pads can actually be washed in your washing machine and dried in your dryer just like MF towels. I don't have the Optimum set, but I have been using the Meguiars set for over a year with great results. MF pads are a lot more durable than the foam pads.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Stinkpickle

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
Great write up! This looks just like what I need, will be purchasing soon!

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote