Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
jimmypage4ever

Drives: 2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 (Race Red)
What do you use to get rid of bugs on your front bumper ?

What do you use to get rid of bugs on your front bumper ?

I have a 60 mile round trip to work 4 days a week, so I clean my front bumper every day to every two days and the car itself a couple times per-week. I usually use Car Brite Glass Cleaner and a medium texture Yellow Scrub Pad. Works well for the most part, would like some input from others to see what your methods are..
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Make sure you have a good coat of wax on the front at all times. Then spray a little DS or WW and let sit for a minute or 2 and the bugs should wipe right off.

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
If you keep your car waxed, then I use detail spray like the other member mentioned and let it sit for a few minutes and the bugs come right off, but when i wax my car the front bumper always get 2-3 good coats of wax or whatever you use...
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I wouldn't use anything that has the words "scrub pad " in it. Soap and water should do the job and a good coat of wax.

Led Zeppelin Rules!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
I like to use the Waterless Wash for removing bugs
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
jimmypage4ever, This is something I started doing nearly 15 years ago, after all, I am a "CAR GUY" and I love my ride.....

Lets assume that you, like the vast majority of people, go to work in the early morning so its a bit cooler when you get to work.

I have a 12" x 12" MF towel that, when folded a few times, fits easily in a 1 qt zip-loc bag. I saturate it with H2O, and put it in the side pocket of my door. When I arrive at work in the morning, with the fresh bugs on the front of the car, I simply get out the saturated MF town, and EASILY wipe off the bugs....then dry off the wet partion of the front of the car. takes a minute or two, and you don't end up with bugs BAKING onto the front of your car.

Some of the guys at work think I'm a little nuts, but there is no doubt that my car is the nicest looking car in the whole lot. Always has been, always will be.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Pro active Sir Nuke, I like your approach.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
bug & tar remover, or wax.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Here in Florida, love bugs are the primary culprit. Love bugs in particular have very fatty bodies, which produce a lot of enzymes. Plus, their sheer number on our busy roads make them unavoidable. And, since they are love bugs, they hit your vehicle two at a time. As soon as you notice bugs on your vehicle, try to take action. If the spot is relatively fresh, you can use a microfiber towel and a quick detailer to wipe the paint clean. This is ideal because you’re not removing any existing wax. If that didn’t work, you need a stronger solution. Poorboy’s Bug Squash is a step up from a quick detailer in terms of cleaning ability, but it is still very gentle on paintwork and glass. Poorboy's Bug Squash softens bug remains to break their bond with the surface. Don't forget to use the Safe Scrub Bug Sponge. This product helps you remove bugs and tar easily with the honeycomb texture sponge soaked in soapy water first for lubrication the then use the Poorboy's Bug Squash.
For those really stubborn isolated spots you might run into, you can use any number of bug and tar removers that are basically strong cleaners intended to dissolve bugs and tar. Examples are Stoner XENIT and Tarminator and Wurth Tar Remover. P21S Total Car Wash and Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus are all-over exterior cleaners that work wonders on sticky grime. The drawback to bug and tar removers and cleaners is that you will have to reapply paint protection. So always have a first aid kit for your car in your car when needed.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
jimmypage4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
jimmypage4ever, This is something I started doing nearly 15 years ago, after all, I am a "CAR GUY" and I love my ride.....

Lets assume that you, like the vast majority of people, go to work in the early morning so its a bit cooler when you get to work.

I have a 12" x 12" MF towel that, when folded a few times, fits easily in a 1 qt zip-loc bag. I saturate it with H2O, and put it in the side pocket of my door. When I arrive at work in the morning, with the fresh bugs on the front of the car, I simply get out the saturated MF town, and EASILY wipe off the bugs....then dry off the wet partion of the front of the car. takes a minute or two, and you don't end up with bugs BAKING onto the front of your car.

Some of the guys at work think I'm a little nuts, but there is no doubt that my car is the nicest looking car in the whole lot. Always has been, always will be.

Ill give it a go when I go back to work tuesday, sounds like a good method, and I go to work at 3:30 in the afternoon and get off at 1am so those bugs definitely do bake out in the sun all day. Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
jimmypage4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
Here in Florida, love bugs are the primary culprit. Love bugs in particular have very fatty bodies, which produce a lot of enzymes. Plus, their sheer number on our busy roads make them unavoidable. And, since they are love bugs, they hit your vehicle two at a time. As soon as you notice bugs on your vehicle, try to take action. If the spot is relatively fresh, you can use a microfiber towel and a quick detailer to wipe the paint clean. This is ideal because you’re not removing any existing wax. If that didn’t work, you need a stronger solution. Poorboy’s Bug Squash is a step up from a quick detailer in terms of cleaning ability, but it is still very gentle on paintwork and glass. Poorboy's Bug Squash softens bug remains to break their bond with the surface. Don't forget to use the Safe Scrub Bug Sponge. This product helps you remove bugs and tar easily with the honeycomb texture sponge soaked in soapy water first for lubrication the then use the Poorboy's Bug Squash.
For those really stubborn isolated spots you might run into, you can use any number of bug and tar removers that are basically strong cleaners intended to dissolve bugs and tar. Examples are Stoner XENIT and Tarminator and Wurth Tar Remover. P21S Total Car Wash and Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus are all-over exterior cleaners that work wonders on sticky grime. The drawback to bug and tar removers and cleaners is that you will have to reapply paint protection. So always have a first aid kit for your car in your car when needed.
Thats the scrub pad I use regularly works wonders, Ive been using turtle wax tar and bug remover and when using it, it takes a little work but gets it off none the less. The Poorboys bug squash sounds like a good investment i need to look into getting. Thanks for all of the great info everyone!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Im in Florida, I hate those lil' love bugs!
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
Im in Florida, I hate those lil' love bugs!
we got them here on the golf coast of Texas too.....but their SEASON is later in the year for us here.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
ALRIGHT GUYS THERE IS A REASON I AM TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS.

WET DRYER SHEETS!

Try it, and come back and tell me how right I am!
I even soak them in water and put that water in a spray bottle and it works as well. You're welcome.
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote