Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Mustangs routed at Camaro vs. Mustang time trial event

Our club just finished hosting a time trial event that was Camaro vs Mustang with four different classes. We utilized a 1 mile road course (Grandsport Speedway) and only cones used was to create a tight slalom on the back straight to slow people down. Top speed was around 80 MPH. We had just over 50 cars in attendance.

The way the point system worked was the top three cars in each class scored points for their "team." By doing this it eliminated the side that brought more cars from winning based on sheer numbers. First place in each class scored 5 points for their team, second place in each class scored 3 points for their team and third place in each class scored 2 points for their team. Everyone got 9 runs (unless they had to leave early), top times counted. Results are below, with the top five in each class listed.

Big thanks for the Mustang club(s) coming out and having fun throwing their muscle cars around a track with us.

Final Score, Camaro's: 38 pts, Mustang's 2 pts.

Here's a video of a C7 doing a test run of the course.

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Those Mustangs got crushed.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 AM   #3
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Wow... that looks like a really fun course to drive! Congrats on kicking the Mustangs around. I sure wish I lived in Texas. Seems like everything cool is in Texas.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
C1 was "V6", Forest has a stage IV suspension and 20+ years SCCA. I believe Mr. Perez had a turbo 4 eco-boost mustang.

C2 was stock SS with true 'bolt on' only, no suspension work or anything that required a tune, exhaust was stock or cat back only. Not one person in C2 had a drop of track time.

C3 was "1LE", any SS with a suspension, heavy engine mods and/or tune so long as not forced inducted/turbo. 1st place was a stock 1LE with a ton of track time - let that sink in a minute then take another look at his times, only one of the two vettes there beat him consistently.

C4 was ZL1 / blowers / turbo etc

The Camaros walked over the mustangs in every class in every possible way imaginable across all skill levels. Was truly a remarkable eye opener of how great a car the Camaro actually is. If I owned a pony car after yesterday, I would be trading it for a Camaro this week.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
The Camaros walked over the mustangs in every class in every possible way imaginable across all skill levels. Was truly a remarkable eye opener of how great a car the Camaro actually is. If I owned a pony car after yesterday, I would be trading it for a Camaro this week.
Agreed. Skill levels all over the place on both sides, many of the Mustang guys had track and SCCA experience as did the Camaro guys but then there were just as many on both sides that had not touched track nor autocross.

I expected us to walk them in C4, but I'm honestly surprised in C3 class. There were several Boss 302s and 302 LS that I thought would really give the 1LE's a run for their money.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
This looks like a lot of fun and seemed like it was a great turnout for both sides.

Skill plays a H U G E factor in these events and I don't think the car itself whether it won/lost is the determining factor. The car is not driving itself.

Props to both clubs getting together as car enthusiasts should.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Very cool! I wish I had known about this ahead of time. I definitely would have gone out to watch the action!!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
This looks like a lot of fun and seemed like it was a great turnout for both sides.

Skill plays a H U G E factor in these events and I don't think the car itself whether it won/lost is the determining factor. The car is not driving itself.

Props to both clubs getting together as car enthusiasts should.
True. If I had gone the Mustangs def would have stood a better chance.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Thanks for sharing this experience OP, seems like ya'll had a blast...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Skill is the major contributor, but the mustang simply is not a track car. I have understood this from many professional sources and never believed it until I saw it with my own eyes this weekend. There were enough vehicles and drivers to perform any apple to apple match up given any hypothesis parameter and skill you can dream of, the mustang simply does not track.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
True. If I had gone the Mustangs def would have stood a better chance.
LOL!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Skill is the major contributor, but the mustang simply is not a track car. I have understood this from many professional sources and never believed it until I saw it with my own eyes this weekend. There were enough vehicles and drivers to perform any apple to apple match up given any hypothesis parameter and skill you can dream of, the mustang simply does not track.
They are not true track cars.

I still prefer my Mustang over a camaro if it gets beat around a road course. I will most likely never step foot on a road course in my life so road racing and such means nothing to me. However, I'll take my chances against other cars down a drag strip

Looking forward to Ford finally having a track worthy car such as the GT350 and 350R.

Maybe this year we can get some of the Camaro guys to come down to the local drag strip in late October to have some fun and BS about cars and what not.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Very nice, camaro crushed guts!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
It would be nice to have a list of the cars by year/make/model/mods in attendance. Or at least the top 5 in each category.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
Quote:
LOL!!!!!!

They are not true track cars.

I still prefer my Mustang over a camaro if it gets beat around a road course. I will most likely never step foot on a road course in my life so road racing and such means nothing to me. However, I'll take my chances against other cars down a drag strip

Looking forward to Ford finally having a track worthy car such as the GT350 and 350R.

Maybe this year we can get some of the Camaro guys to come down to the local drag strip in late October to have some fun and BS about cars and what not.
What are your 1/4 mile times fanboy?