Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
2008 quality? Is it back

Before everyone starts beating me up about my first post I would like to ask some questions.

I am very interested in the new camaro. I think I have read 100+ post on here tonight so I decided to register. I hear alot of people bitching about weight. With 400 HP I dont see 3800LBS bieng that big of a deal. I have been a long time fan of the camaro. I had a 67 ss/rs with matching numbers that was almost given to me 10 years ago. Like a idiot I junked the engine gutted it and made a race car. Stupid me young and dumb I guess. It was very upsetting when GM took away our F body cars.

My main concern is I bought a 2005 silverado with a 5.3L crew cab 1500 for my wife in 2005. I have had several GM trucks over the years and loved them. No one could touch the small blocks for power and longevity, however I am so disapointed with this new truck. Everything about it sucks. It just doesnt have the power the old 350 did. It doesnt pull trailers well, sucks on gas and has no torque. This has almost made me loose my trust in confidnece in GM all together. The truck just doesnt have the power I am used to. I am not trying to turn this into a truck forum, just concerns about where GM is going.

In my opinion to be sucesfull the Camaro will have to out perform the Mustang.....I dont see that bieng a problem, but will it have the thrill, will it have the quality? I would love to trust GM again, maybe the truck was built on a monday who knows.

I am not a dodge fan, but had to buy one in 2000. I needed a heavy duty diesel truck, and the cummins is the only thing that sold the dodge, but she has 140K on it now and has been a great truck. I just hope GM can make a come back. I cant wait to test drive one. I guess I am done venting. If you read this far thanks for reading I guess. Just my .02 cents

Also is there plans to bring back the firebird? If there is will it be a mechanical twin again?
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You're in the clear, because the quality on the Mustang isn't super spectacular either. Don't get me wrong, it's a car that'll last you awhile, but there have been plenty complaints of the interior quality no matter how 'stylized' it may look. However, be on caution because that is something Ford seeks to rectify with the 2010 refresh.

As for the Firebird, I'm in your boat, man. I'm a T/A man gone Camaro, I'd love for them to bring it back, but it's unlikely unless Camaro sales skyrocket to a stratospheric point where GM capitalizes on it. Otherwise, it's unlikely. Too bad, the 'Bird had just as much soul as the Camaro. May it rest in peace.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, BTW.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
I'd rather the bird rests in peace, rather than being brought back as a sedan, or something else equally embarassing. Yes I'm poking fun at the new charger, one of many reasons I don't like dodge.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
dieseldave24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
You're in the clear, because the quality on the Mustang isn't super spectacular either. Don't get me wrong, it's a car that'll last you awhile, but there have been plenty complaints of the interior quality no matter how 'stylized' it may look. However, be on caution because that is something Ford seeks to rectify with the 2010 refresh.

As for the Firebird, I'm in your boat, man. I'm a T/A man gone Camaro, I'd love for them to bring it back, but it's unlikely unless Camaro sales skyrocket to a stratospheric point where GM capitalizes on it. Otherwise, it's unlikely. Too bad, the 'Bird had just as much soul as the Camaro. May it rest in peace.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, BTW.

Couldnt agree with you more, everything that has come out of pontiac looks like a damn rebadged grand Prix IE GTO, G8, G6...The bird was a great car with a great history, but they killed it when it became a camaro clone. Not that I dont love camaros, but the bird should be different. I am tired of GM rebadging things and selling them under a differnt name. I guess everyone is doing it now. But if I wanted a bird I should be able to buy one, not a camaro with a pontiac emblem
Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
dieseldave24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
I'd rather the bird rests in peace, rather than being brought back as a sedan, or something else equally embarassing. Yes I'm poking fun at the new charger, one of many reasons I don't like dodge.

Or god help us a FWD v-6 hatchback for the soccer mom.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
dieseldave24v

I am really fighting to come up with a reason not to go out and buy one of these and you guys are not helping any...lol
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
First of all; welcome to Camaro5!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
My main concern is I bought a 2005 silverado with a 5.3L crew cab 1500 for my wife in 2005. I have had several GM trucks over the years and loved them. No one could touch the small blocks for power and longevity, however I am so disapointed with this new truck. Everything about it sucks. It just doesnt have the power the old 350 did. It doesnt pull trailers well, sucks on gas and has no torque. This has almost made me loose my trust in confidnece in GM all together. The truck just doesnt have the power I am used to. I am not trying to turn this into a truck forum, just concerns about where GM is going.
A 2005 Silverado doesn't equate to 2008 quality. Have you tried one of the NEW Silverados, yet? It has won the Truck of the year award, and gets all sorts of rave reviews. That's 2008 quality.

That truck isn't where GM is going...so much as where GM was.

Quote:
In my opinion to be sucesfull the Camaro will have to out perform the Mustang.....I dont see that bieng a problem, but will it have the thrill, will it have the quality? I would love to trust GM again, maybe the truck was built on a monday who knows.
Check, check, and check. Camaro will have all three of those things in spades. Recent reviews have reported that the test-car V6 Camaro put the other cars' V8 versions in a poor light as far as handling is concerned. And the SS will have better handling than that!!

I've seen the interior in person, and let me tell you -- it's the very definition of 'quality'. Add in a 400+ hp V8...and you've got one helluva car!

Also is there plans to bring back the firebird? If there is will it be a mechanical twin again?
The closest mechanical relative the Camaro has is the Pontiac G8. Currently, there aren't any plans to bring back the Firebird...but for what it's worth, there's a thread around here about a G8 Firehawk edition through SLP...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The 2008 Silverado won JD Power and Associates Best Pickup in Initial Quality. The 2008 Malibu was ranked the #1 midsize sedan in initial quality, and the Grand Prix was the #1 full size car. I'd say GM's finally gotten its act together.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
dieseldave24v

Thanks for the info. The g8 looks like a grand prix and a GTO got into a horrable collision and some how came out with a new drivetrain...lol
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
dieseldave24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The 2008 Silverado won JD Power and Associates Best Pickup in Initial Quality. The 2008 Malibu was ranked the #1 midsize sedan in initial quality, and the Grand Prix was the #1 full size car. I'd say GM's finally gotten its act together.

I really hope so, more for the fact of American pride than anything. The sad part is I have been to 19 countries and no one has a American car, but they all have rice rockets. I sure hope GM can take the market by storm. I fear this is there last attempt at doing it right.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I am really fighting to come up with a reason not to go out and buy one of these and you guys are not helping any...lol
Lol! Yeah before spending a little time on this great site I was pretty set on a Honda Civic for mileage and reliability reasons, but now I am completely sold on the 5th Gen. In short, stop reading now if you don't want to buy this car lol! But seriously you should look into it all you can, there is a ton of info on this site, as well as links to other sites with more craploads on info! Just examine pretty much any car in this price range and I feel the decision will be clear... all the way!!
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I rented the new Malibu a few weeks ago. If the Camaro quality is on par with the Malibu I think we will all be very pleased. I am a GM fan and was shocked that they could and would do such an excellent job. From what I have seen from the CTS it is excellent also. I really think that GM is getting quality right. I hope they keep it up.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
dieseldave24v

See this is what I am taliking about your definatley not helping the situation......lol. This site does have more info than anywhere I have found. Now I just have to sell the wife. Shouldnt be to hard I will get her a puppy or somthing......
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The G8 is sexy.......end of story
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote