Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
JayDee
The Jersey Devil

Drives: 2000 Camaro, 2010 10/6
Send a message via AIM to JayDee
Before I get this thing on the road...

I'll be picking up my new baby today or tomorrow. Even though this is my second Camaro, I can freely admit that I don't know all of the little ins and outs of keeping the paint job looking fresh and new.

I've been looking into this Zaino process that everyone is raving over, but my question is a little more basic. When I get the car home, is there anything I need to do immediately to protect, wax, etc? I've heard that since the paint is only two weeks old, i should just let it breathe. But anyway, let me know. Thanks in advance.

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
JayDee,

First, congratulations!

Second, if it were me, I'd bring the car home, and park it until I could give it a good bath, and wax/polish. If it's your DD, that may not be possible. If thats the case, do this at the earliest possible time. The paint, IMO, is ready for wax/polish, as the time from factory to you has been sufficient to allow for polishing.

If you choose Zaino, let me know and I can help you with it. Another option is OTC products, and I'd recommend Meguires or Mothers. Also invest in good wash mitts, and towels for drying and polish removal.
Let me know.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
I'll be picking up my new baby today or tomorrow. Even though this is my second Camaro, I can freely admit that I don't know all of the little ins and outs of keeping the paint job looking fresh and new.

I've been looking into this Zaino process that everyone is raving over, but my question is a little more basic. When I get the car home, is there anything I need to do immediately to protect, wax, etc? I've heard that since the paint is only two weeks old, i should just let it breathe. But anyway, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
JayDee
The Jersey Devil

I'm going to order Zaino, but that's not going to help me today. I always use either Meguiars or Mothers, but what should is appropriate for the initial wash/wax/whatever?

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
JayDee
The Jersey Devil

PS, she just got to the dealer!

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js

Congrats!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Moose

Quote:
I'm going to order Zaino, but that's not going to help me today. I always use either Meguiars or Mothers, but what should is appropriate for the initial wash/wax/whatever?
How soon are you ordering Zaino. If you're going to order immediately, you should receive it within a week. And if thats the case, I'd just buy a good car wash for the time being.

If you're going to wait to Zaino, I'd purchase a good wash and polish from Meguires. Of course, when the times comes to Zaino, you'll need to wash with Dawn to remove the old wax/polish.

Ed
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
JayDee
The Jersey Devil

im going to order it today. should i wait until then to do anything?

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Moose

Quote:
im going to order it today. should i wait until then to do anything?
Jaydee, you'll have the Zaino by either the end of the week, or by early next week. I'd wait, only washing as necessary, and then set aside a few hours to Zaino the car. There's no harm in waiting a week or two.

The biggest "issue" may be the weather. Zaino is temperature sensative, but we should have decent enough weather around here to still use it. I'm planning on Zainoing still as I've got a couple customers who want it.

Just keep the car clean for now, and when your Zaino arrives, drop me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

Ed
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
JayDee
The Jersey Devil

cool. thanks a lot

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Don't forget the Clay bar!!
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Sapper1

Drives: 2010 RS SS Red with Black
Congrats!!!!! Happy days!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
JayDee
The Jersey Devil

So I didn't take it home yesterday because everything was finalized late and there was no time for prep. I was going to grab her this morning before i head to work, but the rain from last night is just tapering off now. should i wait until tomorrow while the weather is nice?

'00, '10 Camaro 10/6/09!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
Moose

Quote:
So I didn't take it home yesterday because everything was finalized late and there was no time for prep. I was going to grab her this morning before i head to work, but the rain from last night is just tapering off now. should i wait until tomorrow while the weather is nice?
Well, as anxious as you must be, whats one more day. The weather looks better, so wait.

Of course, you'll be detailing the car, so a little rain won't hurt either.

Ed
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
If you're going to wait to Zaino, I'd purchase a good wash and polish from Meguires. Of course, when the times comes to Zaino, you'll need to wash with Dawn to remove the old wax/polish.

Ed
Crap, that's good to know. I was just about to throw 2 or 3 coats of wax on mine while I waited for Zaino. Saved a lot of work there, though, I'm still gonna drink the beer I bought in prep for all that work.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote