Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
yup my post count is 486, If EVERYONE! posted sensibly, this place would flourish for sure
i dont care about post count, i care about post content. if all you do is post the same crap that 35 other people just posted cus you didnt read thru the thread, log off and go bash your head into a wall. if someone has already posted my thoughts, i wont comment, cus its already been said... till some noob comes along and starts talkin stupid cus their dealer told them theyd have Camaros on their showroom floor for sale by dec. (yeah...riiiiiiiight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilPenguin View Post
you can mod the afm (L99) engine, it is not any diff than the LS3, sure the cam's lobs are a little diff and so are 8 of the lifters, but other than the vcm's tuning, it is just like any other hotrod engine. I've seen afm engines in the W body cars make over 550Hp and a few licked the 600Hp mark while still sipping on the high test fuel. all in all, the stick is only for if you want to have fun driving around. but in the end, all things being equal, if I have a bad to the bone car making 600 or more hp, I must have the auto for fear of missing a shift, and also, NOBODY shifts faster than an automatic trans.
Auto ftw.

someone will be doing cam swaps in the L99, im sure of it.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #30
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
If it works as good as a dual clutch or the latest ZF transmission I'll condsider it. I want to see what the manual launch control is about though.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #31
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
Auto for me as well.
I just wish the SS was getting the LS3 NO AFM with Auto 6-sp Paddle Shifter like the Vette. On the Vette the Auto is faster than the manual and more accurate! No missed shifts, No bent pushrods! No accidental over revs
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #32
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5548

1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #33
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
my plans are cnc ported heads, camshaft, regular ls2/ls3 lifters and remove the afm/dod as long as one of the tuners has the option to delete the afm,, which should not be a problem since they already make programmers to delete the afm/dod on the dodge hemi engines and the gm truck engines
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #34
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
A friendly reminder to all who want the auto SS L99..
If you plan on adding a significant HP to the engine.. Your tranny WILL fail eventually.. Very likely sooner than later. The T6060 is damn near bullit proof..
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot

Last edited by Captainbob; 08-04-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
camaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
A friendly reminder to all who want the auto SS L99..
If you plan on adding a significant HP to the engine.. Your tranny WILL fail eventually.. Very likely sooner than later. The T6060 is damn near bullit proof..
the L99 auto really isnt an issue, it is a better trans than the 4l60e and those when built properly can go 10's no problem(mine did in my camaro for years with all the good parts in it), im sure if there is any issues with it once people start modding out the auto's the aftermarket will come up with some bullet proof fixes

also this is not a new auto trans, it has been around since 2006 in the corvette(just with a different bell and tail for the rear mounting in the vette)

6L80 info:

http://www.maxchevy.com/features/2007/ii_3-trans-2.html

415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller

Last edited by camaro1; 08-04-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #36
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
While we're on the topic, can the AFM L99 handle a supercharger? What would that end up doing to the AFM? Would it still work? Anyone know?

I'll admit, I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. I know how to put gas in and drive them, but when it comes to fixing them/tuning them/etc, I'm clueless.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #37
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That's a good question. Does anyone know what the deactivated cylinders do when they are "off"? If the valves are still opening and closing wouldn't that cause problems with forced induction?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #38
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
Well the paddle shifters will take care of any fun you might want to have. In stop and go traffic you won't want the manual. 20hp isn't a big deal, a CAI and tune should get you there.
Is SCT the only tuner brand out there? If not, can someone let me know of any other tuner companies? Thanks a bunch.
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #39
camaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
That's a good question. Does anyone know what the deactivated cylinders do when they are "off"? If the valves are still opening and closing wouldn't that cause problems with forced induction?

the only time the afm/dod kicks in is when you are cruising at a steady speed at a very light load ,, in these conditions you would never be seeing boost anyways,,, the only time you get boost is when you are accelerating and under high engine load

example:

so even if you were cruising down the hwy at 65+ mph and in 4cyl mode and went to pass someone the afm/dod would turn off instantly as soon as you pushed down on the gas pedal you would be running on all 8 cylinders and your boost would come on like normal

and whatever company comes out with a supercharger will probly be including a ecm tuner or you will be sending your ecm to them to be flashed for the supercharger anyways
Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #40
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxkx250 View Post
Is the Camaro to have no lift shift on the manual?
I dont think it will. I was thinking about that too a while back but I think this is used for engines with turbos so you can keep the boost up.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #41
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Good question, somebody here probably has a good answer for that, I know the cylinders continue to move, but I would THINK pushing the gas hard enough to invoke any form of forced induction would bring all the cylinders back online. It only shuts them down under minimal load while doing things like cruising at a steady speed. I don't think that the cylinders would shutdown while you were blipping the throttle or getting ready for a launch at the drag strip, but I will defer to those who know a lot more about such things....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #42
camaro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Good question, somebody here probably has a good answer for that, I know the cylinders continue to move, but I would THINK pushing the gas hard enough to invoke any form of forced induction would bring all the cylinders back online. It only shuts them down under minimal load while doing things like cruising at a steady speed. I don't think that the cylinders would shutdown while you were blipping the throttle or getting ready for a launch at the drag strip, but I will defer to those who know a lot more about such things....

you are correct, look back 2 post's from yours,, man the board is moving fast today!